Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Long Term Herb Use - safety question

Hi everyone,

I have looked at websites but have not been able to discern whether taking herbs for an extended period of time, or several years, is safe. Since I began taking herbs (fenugreek and fennel) I have noticed non-breast enhancement health benefits, including a complete stop to most of my period problems. Getting rid of those awful symptoms has legitimately improved my life.

I know it is discussed here to take a break eventually and then stop altogether, but I do not want to stop taking them if I can. I would hate to go back to the terrible pain.

Would it be wise to take them at a high dose for a year, then lower dose for awhile (or stop altogether?), but then continue them in high dosages again? My doctor does not know enough about herbal treatments to answer these questions, and the lack of medical information related to herbal remedies in general is very frustrating.

Does anyone have any advice about this? I would appreciate the help.

Studies at www.pubmed.gov generally show improved health overall without side effects, however long term studies on herbs are lacking. They do have thousands of years of use as food, seasonings and medicine so harm is unlikely. Fenugreek is an Indian food, served alone as a dish like rice or as another spice in curry powder. Fennel is licorice. Actually licorice is licorice, but fennel and anise are nearly identical in active ingredients and taste. Most licorice uses anise nowadays.

The two herbs helped by balancing your hormones. Excessive fennel can tip the hormone balance scales in the other direction causing a different hormone imbalance, hyperprolactinaemia: low estrogen, spontaneous lactation, loss of libido. But all you have to do is adjust the fennel amount to what you need (if any) long before that happens. Get your hormone levels tested periodically to be sure. Fenugreek should push balance towards the middle, and even the full dose is already low compared to what some eat.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon