Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Forum Quoting Etiquette

I've noticed many threads in which the first post in the thread has been unnecessarily quoted in full in every subsequent post.

Why do people think this is a sensible way to use the forum?

https://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=31315
This thread linked to here represents an extreme example of persistent overquoting.

https://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=31315&pid=211759#pid211759
This post in that thread quotes as many as 5 previous posts for no apparent reason.

Where is the problem with that?? There is no way to quote reply a persons reply without it doing the rest atleast on my end. Far more actual urgent issues currently on the forum like the over abundance of spam accounts/posts I am constantly reporting to you and the blatant misinformation people are spewing in threads like "studies show richer men go for smaller boobs" *sigh*  Rolleyes" alt="Rolleyes" title="Rolleyes"> I think theres bigger problems atm imho.

I'm wondering if you can re-design the website so that only the last post is displayed with a button so the viewer can display all if they want. Automatically deleting extra blank lines would help too.

The 'quote' feature in this forum is very useful and appropriate for indicating which specific post you're replying to or for picking out a certain point or line of text to answer - but unfortunately the feature is often used when there's simply no need.

The problem is that unnecessary or excessive quoting clogs up the forum with the same messages being quoted over and over again. There are threads where most of the space is taken up by great swathes of quotes, quotes within quotes etc, and most of the time the continual quoting just isn't needed.

Plus it gets dramatically worse the longer the thread goes on. Poster #2 quotes the OP in full, and then Poster #3 quotes Poster #2 in full, including the OP again, and ad infinitum. Some threads become overwhelming repetitive with new posts adding a lot more quoting than new content.

Not to mention that it totally defeats the purpose of quoting in the first place - to show which post you're replying to or to pick out a specific point to address.

For the sake of tidiness and good order, and to ensure the forum is easy to read and not overwhelming repetitive, I would like to suggest that posters don't use the 'quote' feature when there really isn't any need to, and when there is a need to quote then perhaps only quote the text necessary and not the whole post.

If you don't need to quote anything in your reply, the best way of replying is to use the "New Reply" button rather than use the "reply" button at the bottom of the specific post you're replying to.

Of course sometimes it's very useful to quote, especially if you're replying to a message a few posts further back, or reacting to a single point in someone else's long message, and nobody should feel any reluctance to quote when there's a good reason to do so. But if you don't need to quote then using 'New Reply' rather than 'reply' just seems like the sensible option.

(26-01-2022, 09:27 PM)James98 Wrote:  I'm wondering if you can re-design the website so that only the last post is displayed with a button so the viewer can display all if they want.

What would be the benefit of that?

You wouldn't have to rely so much on the user to solve the problem. Just the last post with an [Expand] button would solve most of your objection.

I certainly agree that your suggestions should be taken to heart, and not to quote at all if it is not required.

(27-01-2022, 02:15 AM)James98 Wrote:  Just the last post with an [Expand] button would solve most of your objection.

My objection is threads which consist mainly of swathes of quotes including quotes within quotes. I don't see how your suggestion helps.

(27-01-2022, 12:41 PM)Eve M Wrote:  
(27-01-2022, 02:15 AM)James98 Wrote:  Just the last post with an [Expand] button would solve most of your objection.

My objection is threads which consist mainly of swathes of quotes including quotes within quotes. I don't see how your suggestion helps.

I kinda agree with James here. What he explains is what you see when you visit Reddit. But the thing I wanted to add. When I visit BN I am not logged in, then I see something and want to react on that...all I can click then is REPLY. and then we get to long quotes. You can only react without quoting when you are already logged in.

When you are not logged in all you can click on is reply then you get to log in and you get the quoting thing which we dont desire here. So maybe do change the website design or totally remove the quoting button as is delivers us a clean and tidied website.

I think James is right we cannot have best of both worlds here as it would ask the cooperation of all users.
The website will remain messy and the quote button will be used for its benefits which gives us the mess in the first place.

I didn't realize you could reply at all without logging in. Shouldn't be allowed at all. Users should have to log in to reply or quote and that should be an easy fix for Eve as it should just be a setting.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon