Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Fenugreek -please translate this for me?

Bug 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20571172

Am I right to assume this means fenugreek stimulates activity in cancer cells in a negative way?

I understand this concludes that fenugreek is estrogenic in nature?

Then I find this..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19197146
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15936223

Then I found this by our great researchers and I am still confused. According to lotus fg is a phytoestrogen so I'm coming down to the big question " does fenugreek as a phytoestrogen PROTECT against female organ cancers or CONTRIBUTE TO?

http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=19654

Forgive me L I know you and I have discussed this as a possible risk factor to BUT in light of ever changing research are your opinions still the same?

Thank you ...

(26-08-2015, 06:38 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  Am I right to assume this means fenugreek stimulates activity in cancer cells in a negative way?

Yes, FG does stimulate cancer cells, (to answer your question, that's in a negative way.) Accordilng to Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center- Patients with hormonal-sensitive cancers should avoid this product.

(26-08-2015, 06:38 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  I understand this concludes that fenugreek is estrogenic in nature?

Yes, FG seeds are estrogenic.

(26-08-2015, 06:38 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  " does fenugreek as a phytoestrogen PROTECT against female organ cancers or CONTRIBUTE TO?

The bottom line is that anything that stimulate cancers cells is bad, BPA's is one such example, but it's (BPA) in so many things we use on a daily basis, other xenoestrogens too. My advice?, if you have a family history of cancer genes I'd avoid phytoestrogens, instead focus on massage/breast exercises and eating right. You can still achieve growth hormones through HIIT, and adding dietary fats imo are the next evolution for NBE non-hormonal breast growth.

OK... So I got a response from one of my herbalists. She said FG contains no plant hormones but has properties that can be synthesized into hormones if done so in a lab much like wild yam.

So if consumed in its food form ie seeds she seems to think it will have no influence on hormones. HOWEVER.. she suggested that I get my E2 estrogen checked, then consume FG for 2 months and recheck my E2 at the same time as I did last and see if theres an increase.

This seems like a legitimate experiment if not consuming any another herbs that might influence estrogen.

IF I can get into the lab today I will get mine checked as I'm on day 19 which I believe (hope) is the right day to check.

(26-08-2015, 07:53 PM)Lotus Wrote:  
(26-08-2015, 06:38 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  Am I right to assume this means fenugreek stimulates activity in cancer cells in a negative way?

Yes, FG does stimulate cancer cells, (to answer your question, that's in a negative way.) Accordilng to Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center- Patients with hormonal-sensitive cancers should avoid this product.

(26-08-2015, 06:38 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  I understand this concludes that fenugreek is estrogenic in nature?

Yes, FG seeds are estrogenic.

(26-08-2015, 06:38 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  " does fenugreek as a phytoestrogen PROTECT against female organ cancers or CONTRIBUTE TO?

The bottom line is that anything that stimulate cancers cells is bad, BPA's is one such example, but it's (BPA) in so many things we use on a daily basis, other xenoestrogens too. My advice?, if you have a family history of cancer genes I'd avoid phytoestrogens, instead focus on massage/breast exercises and eating right. You can still achieve growth hormones through HIIT, and adding dietary fats imo are the next evolution for NBE non-hormonal breast growth.

Oh hey! You snuck in while I was typing that latest response.
Thanks so much Lotus. Of course me taking fenu has nothing to do with boobs, only the gastrointestinal effects hence questioning it further. When you respond like you have though it has me second guessing whether to touch the stuff at all as we do have BC in the family!

So it will be curious to see what my reading is if I can get in today. If my E2 was within normal range I guess that still means I shouldn't muck around with FG even for its healing effects.

OK Thank you x

Have you got anything on Marshmallow root?
It has the same mucilage etc properties as FG, soothing the internal organs, I have no idea if it has any hormonal influence.. It seems a viable replacement if not though..

(26-08-2015, 08:01 PM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  Have you got anything on Marshmallow root?
It has the same mucilage etc properties as FG, soothing the internal organs, I have no idea if it has any hormonal influence.. It seems a viable replacement if not though..

I might have something on M.R., I'll check. Here's a recent interesting study for the ladies on FG and libidos (which is rare).

Influence of a Specialized Trigonella foenum- graecum Seed Extract (Libifem), on Testosterone, Estradiol and Sexual Function in Healthy Menstruating Women, a Randomised Placebo Controlled Study
The aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of Trigonellafoenum-graecum (fenugreek) seed extract on sex hormones and sexual function in healthy menstruating women who reported low sexual drive. This short term, single site, double blind, randomised, placebo-controlled study was conducted on 80 women, aged 20 to 49 years. Participants were randomised to either an oral dose of a standardised T. foenum-graecum seed extract (libifem) at a dose of 600 mg/day or placebo over two menstrual cycles. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, progesterone, androstenedione, total and free testosterone, estradiol (E2), luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, sex hormone binding globulin and cholesterol were measured at baseline and 8 weeks. The individual aspects of sexual function were measured using the Derogatis interview for sexual functioning and female sexual function index self-administered questionnaires. Stress, fatigue and quality of the relationship with partner were also measured using the PSS (Perceived Stress Scale), MFI-20 (Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory) and DAS (Dyadic Adjustment Scale) quality of life measures, respectively. There was a significant increase in free testosterone and E2 in the active group as well as sexual desire and arousal compared with the placebo group. The results indicate that this extract of T. foenum-graecum may be a useful treatment for increasing sexual arousal and desire in women. Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Luis_Vitetta/publication/275354668_Influence_of_a_Specialized_Trigonella_foenum_graecum_Seed_Extract_%28Libifem%29_on_Testosterone_Estradiol_and_Sexual_Function_in_Healthy_Menstruating_Women_a_Randomised_Placebo_Controlled_Study/links/553ae3960cf2c415bb08fe6d.pdf?ev=pub_ext_doc_dl&origin=publication_list&inViewer=true

(26-08-2015, 09:41 PM)Lotus Wrote:  
(26-08-2015, 08:01 PM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  Have you got anything on Marshmallow root?

I might have something on M.R., I'll check. Here's a recent interesting study for the ladies on FG and libidos (which is rare).

Influence of a Specialized Trigonella foenum- graecum Seed Extract (Libifem), on Testosterone, Estradiol and Sexual Function in Healthy Menstruating Women, a Randomised Placebo Controlled Study
The aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of Trigonellafoenum-graecum (fenugreek) seed extract on sex hormones and sexual function in healthy menstruating women who reported low sexual drive. This short term, single site, double blind, randomised, placebo-controlled study was conducted on 80 women, aged 20 to 49 years. Participants were randomised to either an oral dose of a standardised T. foenum-graecum seed extract (libifem) at a dose of 600 mg/day or placebo over two menstrual cycles. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, progesterone, androstenedione, total and free testosterone, estradiol (E2), luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, sex hormone binding globulin and cholesterol were measured at baseline and 8 weeks. The individual aspects of sexual function were measured using the Derogatis interview for sexual functioning and female sexual function index self-administered questionnaires. Stress, fatigue and quality of the relationship with partner were also measured using the PSS (Perceived Stress Scale), MFI-20 (Multidimensional Fatigue Inventory) and DAS (Dyadic Adjustment Scale) quality of life measures, respectively. There was a significant increase in free testosterone and E2 in the active group as well as sexual desire and arousal compared with the placebo group. The results indicate that this extract of T. foenum-graecum may be a useful treatment for increasing sexual arousal and desire in women. Copyright © 2015 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Luis_Vitetta/publication/275354668_Influence_of_a_Specialized_Trigonella_foenum_graecum_Seed_Extract_%28Libifem%29_on_Testosterone_Estradiol_and_Sexual_Function_in_Healthy_Menstruating_Women_a_Randomised_Placebo_Controlled_Study/links/553ae3960cf2c415bb08fe6d.pdf?ev=pub_ext_doc_dl&origin=publication_list&inViewer=true

Furthering its hormonal influence then huh!

Well yeah, but judging from this study FG pretty much upregulates everything, see here:

Administration of T. foenum-graecum seed extract was also associated with a significant increase in E2 levels. Estradiol stimulates vaginal lubrication and blood flow, affecting a woman’s capacity for sexual arousal and orgasm (Simon, 2011); this supports the significant positive change in sexual arousal observed. Whilst the mechanism of the increase in E2 levels is unclear from the current study, one possibility is due to increased aromatase activity that converts testosterone to E2.

That resonates with me.... Maybe I am e Dom at the mo.. would explain the aching blobs pre menstrual cycle.

Next question Lotus..

I liked FG for its appetite stimulant effects . Now fenugreek is out how about
*SAW PALMETTO*?
I appreciate SP can cause gastric irritation but it's also touted as a app stimulant and nuticious alike.

Does SP have estrogenic boosting properties?

Ps I know you have said it to be an anti estrogen.
Are you still of the same opinion?

(27-08-2015, 12:59 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  Does SP have estrogenic boosting properties?

Ps I know you have said it to be an anti estrogen.
Are you still of the same opinion?

It's possible SP might have a small (very small, like .01%) estrogenic properity. And that's in part becuse of the fatty acids, (capric acid, caproic acid, caprylic, linoleic acid, myristic acid, oleic acid, palmitic acid), only THAT correlation has yet to be made).

http://www.sawpalmetto.com

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon