Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Hair tips

(06-07-2014, 12:31 AM)kayleyinside Wrote:  I relax mine. Just did it days ago. after seeing people's hair on this thread im starting to regret doing it. I always hated my curly hair growing up as a boy cuz I only had two choices, Caesar cut or afro. Now tht im going to transition I think I would be absolutely gorgeous with long curly locks. I was thinking id go for sewn in extensions. Any thoughts?

Relaxers are bad for your hair. Every client I had in school that would get a relaxer or soft curl would end up with major breakage. Maybe while yours grows the sew ins would be a good idea. You'd look gorgeous with something with red or warm undertones or even that "Beyoncé blonde" which is more of a wheat or caramel color.

(06-07-2014, 02:18 AM)echapman Wrote:  
(06-07-2014, 12:31 AM)kayleyinside Wrote:  I relax mine. Just did it days ago. after seeing people's hair on this thread im starting to regret doing it. I always hated my curly hair growing up as a boy cuz I only had two choices, Caesar cut or afro. Now tht im going to transition I think I would be absolutely gorgeous with long curly locks. I was thinking id go for sewn in extensions. Any thoughts?

Relaxers are bad for your hair. Every client I had in school that would get a relaxer or soft curl would end up with major breakage. Maybe while yours grows the sew ins would be a good idea. You'd look gorgeous with something with red or warm undertones or even that "Beyoncé blonde" which is more of a wheat or caramel color.

Thanks. Im not so sure bout red but I think maybe purple highlights (I was a goth kid in high school) . Ive always loved purple. Id like my hair bouncy and black with maybe dark purple highlights. Yeah tht sounds cool.

Here's wat my hair looked like today.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If you get the purple make sure you get it in your weave, not on your real hair. Color can't lift color (unless it's a permanent on virgin hair in which case the developer might lift two levels), since you appear to be a level 1 which is the darkest so you would have to be bleached then color added. Since you have a relaxer you can't put bleach on your hair... Well, you could, but you shouldn't. Best case it would fry it, worst case it would break right off. Avoid coloring it until that relaxer grows out.

Heres my dream hair

(06-07-2014, 04:05 AM)echapman Wrote:  If you get the purple make sure you get it in your weave, not on your real hair. Color can't lift color (unless it's a permanent on virgin hair in which case the developer might lift two levels), since you appear to be a level 1 which is the darkest so you would have to be bleached then color added. Since you have a relaxer you can't put bleach on your hair... Well, you could, but you shouldn't. Best case it would fry it, worst case it would break right off. Avoid coloring it until that relaxer grows out.

Thanks for the great advice. I wont be relaxing my hair ever again. I got a crazy burn on my chest and shoulder frm the relaxer. A and d ointment is helping but I wont be trying to show cleavage anytime soon Sad

(06-07-2014, 04:29 AM)kayleyinside Wrote:  
(06-07-2014, 04:05 AM)echapman Wrote:  If you get the purple make sure you get it in your weave, not on your real hair. Color can't lift color (unless it's a permanent on virgin hair in which case the developer might lift two levels), since you appear to be a level 1 which is the darkest so you would have to be bleached then color added. Since you have a relaxer you can't put bleach on your hair... Well, you could, but you shouldn't. Best case it would fry it, worst case it would break right off. Avoid coloring it until that relaxer grows out.

Thanks for the great advice. I wont be relaxing my hair ever again. I got a crazy burn on my chest and shoulder frm the relaxer. A and d ointment is helping but I wont be trying to show cleavage anytime soon Sad

Ouch sounds bad I agree try to leave your hair as natural as possible or it won't grow well I used to have blue/green pieces in my hair when I was at school its such a pain to do my natural is almost black I had to use so much bleach then colour to get bright colour and when it fades it looked really trashy if I had any colours again I would use coloured extension clips plus is then you have any colour and don't have to keep the unusual colours in for times natural look is more appropriate.
You could probably do something like this with extensions clips

(06-07-2014, 02:18 AM)echapman Wrote:  

You can use relaxers and maintain healthy hair. You just have to be well-educated on how to care for relaxed hair and how to do the whole relaxer process in a super nourishing way. Tons of research is key.

I am curious about how "healthy" hair relaxing, even though, from what I heard about the actual chemicals, I will probably skip it anyway. As I have the curliest hair ever (hehehe, I amaze even black stylists with my African hair), I have tried tons of relaxers, on a couple different continents. After actually burning my scalp & causing damage to my hair follicles, I gotta hear about the healthy way to relax. I stopped relaxing (after over a decade of relaxing and lots of research) when I was thought I might have children one day, due to what I learned about the possible mutagenic effects of relaxers. My scalp is much happier for it anyway. But, anyway, what did I miss?

(07-07-2014, 09:28 PM)char Wrote:  I am curious about how "healthy" hair relaxing, even though, from what I heard about the actual chemicals, I will probably skip it anyway. As I have the curliest hair ever (hehehe, I amaze even black stylists with my African hair), I have tried tons of relaxers, on a couple different continents. After actually burning my scalp & causing damage to my hair follicles, I gotta hear about the healthy way to relax. I stopped relaxing (after over a decade of relaxing and lots of research) when I was thought I might have children one day, due to what I learned about the possible mutagenic effects of relaxers. My scalp is much happier for it anyway. But, anyway, what did I miss?

There's a lot, a loooooooot, that goes into relaxing in a healthful way and keeping relaxed hair healthy. I'll be relaxing mine this Saturday (by the way, mine is so tightly coiled that, in places, there's hardly a definable texture), and might post a picture of it. Like you, I always wound up with chemical burns. Taking over and doing it myself has helped so much. I'd be extremely hesitant to let a stylist touch my hair. They can't do what I can do, and they don't know what I know.

To start you off, I'd say do lots of research on this forum: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ This is where I started. If you have any specific questions, let me know. I wondered if I'd ever have long hair again, as it was staying around neck length for years. Now it's touching the back strap of my bra when it's fully straightened.

Blessed breasts I totally agree with you on if your hair is an unusual texture your better off learning to colour/relax it yourself mines been messed up so many times by different stylists so I know how frustrating it is having to deal with someone you pay messing up your hair.
But if you can avoid chemicals and heat obviously that's even better.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon