Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

Question about ground flaxseed vs flaxseed oil

Question about ground flaxseed vs flaxseed oil
February 20 2009 at 8:44 PM
Antheia (Login Antheia)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if flaxseed oil would do the same thing as ground flaxseed, or if ground flaxseed reacts differently in your body than flaxseed oil does, or if they both do the same thing, but one is more potent that the other?

Kinda a weird question, but I'm a bit confused about this.

Thanks!

~Antheia

Author Reply
LaReve
(Login LaReve)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Question about ground flaxseed vs flaxseed oil February 20 2009, 9:52 PM

In my research I found out that the oil is more potent than ground flax seed. They do the same thing, but you would just have to take a lot more of the ground seed to equal the same potency of a spoonful of oil.

But if you are interested in adding fiber to your diet, the ground flax seed is really good for that.

:-)
~LaReve

Antheia
(Login Antheia) Re: Question about ground flaxseed vs flaxseed oil February 20 2009, 10:26 PM

Thanks, LaReve! Maybe I'll do both, to get in that bit of extra fiber from the ground flaxseed and all. I appreciate your help!

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Question about ground flaxseed vs flaxseed oil February 21 2009, 4:10 AM

Hi Antheia and LaReve,

Ground flaxseed is higher in lignan quantity - the component that helps to block estrogen receptors from higher potency estrogen.

Flaxseed oil is higher in Omega 3 fatty acids - which are important for heart health and hormone building.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

Antheia
(Login Antheia) Re: Question about ground flaxseed vs flaxseed oil February 21 2009, 4:42 AM

Thanks Waxingmoon! It's so weird how different the two can be, ah, the laws of science be a fickle mistress.

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Question about ground flaxseed vs flaxseed oil February 22 2009, 10:52 AM

They are different because flaxseed oil is only part of the flaxseed.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon