Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

kelp=poison any ideas?

Hi,

I read this article just now as below in this link:
http://www.420magazine.com/forums/grow-s...aweed.html Any ideas about this.
Best wishes,

<--------------------->
I came across this article that indicated Kelp powder/seaweed products are likely to contain arsenic which we all know is a poison. Just thought I would post it here too for informational purposes. Many here have jumped on this sea tea bandwagon and have started to add products containing these ingredients to our plants. While the plants may possibly show physical benifits, I hope the arsenic content is not really as harmful or as common as this article indicates. Not trying to step on anyones toes, just sharing in case anyone in interested.

Maximum Respect

GB

April 9th, 2007 @ 11:19 am by Andy

Herbal supplements made from kelp seaweed can contain dangerously high levels of arsenic, according to a study by Marc Schenker at the UC Davis Department of Public Health. Schenker’s group started looking at kelp supplements after seeing a patient who had developed symptoms of arsenic poisoning after taking kelp powder seaweed supplements for memory problems.
Several brands of commercial kelp supplements were tested at the California Animal Health and Food Safety Labs, located at UC Davis. Eight of nine contained toxic levels of arsenic — especially if the supplements were taken regularly over a long period.

Unlike pharmaceuticals, herbal supplements are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration, although they are not supposed to make specific health claims. The paper is published online in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives.

[edited to add this from the paper published in Environmental Health Perspectives]
Abstract
Context: Medicinal use of dietary herbal seaweed supplements can cause inadvertent arsenic toxicosis.

Case Presentation: A 54-year-old woman was referred to the University of California, Davis, Occupational Medicine Clinic with a 2-year history of worsening alopecia and memory loss. She also reported having a rash, increasing fatigue, nausea, and vomiting, disabling her to the point where she could no longer work full-time. A thorough exposure history revealed that she took daily kelp supplements. A urine sample showed an arsenic level of 83.6 µg/g creatinine (normal < 50 µg/g creatinine) . A sample from her kelp supplements contained 8.5 mg/kg (ppm) arsenic. Within weeks of discontinuing the supplements, her symptoms resolved and arsenic blood and urine levels were undetectable.

Discussion: To evaluate the extent of arsenic contamination in commercially available kelp, we analyzed nine samples randomly obtained from local health food stores. Eight of the nine samples showed detectable levels of arsenic higher than the Food and Drug Administration tolerance level of 0.5 to 2 ppm for certain food products. None of the supplements contained information regarding the possibility of contamination with arsenic or other heavy metals. The 1994 Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) has changed the way dietary herbal therapies are marketed and regulated in the United States. Less regulation of dietary herbal therapies will make inadvertent toxicities a more frequent occurrence.

Relevance to Clinical Practice: Clinicians should be aware of the potential for heavy metal toxicity due to chronic use of dietary herbal supplements. Inquiring about use of dietary supplements is an important element of the medical history.

First I will say I am not a professional and this is only my understanding.

It's good to know that these studies are being done.

However I would like to know who funded it? As that does have a large role to play in outcomes. I don't doubt that some Kelp's have this toxicity level, especially in areas high in industrial waste.

I take an iodine supplement for my memory problems, it is actually a thyroid hormone imbalance that causes many of those symptoms the study listed.

Kelp is high in Iodine which is why a lot of places recommend it for the thyroid.

The quality of the Kelp depends on where in it was harvested, who manufactured it and the processes used in preserving it.

As with any herb it should be taken with caution and with a professional practitioners or extremely knowledgeable herbalist's advice.

Also remember that you get what you pay for when it comes to herbs, you have to be very very picky as to where they were manufactured, and what the process to extraction is.

It's sad that becuase of a few bad companies the natural route is being put under scrutiny.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon