Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Study on fenugreek

Can anyone translate/interpret this? http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2010/june/0613.pdf

(18-07-2010, 03:00 AM)someone036 Wrote:  Can anyone translate/interpret this? http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2010/june/0613.pdf

Well, it's in English, but really hard to understand. :s It's way too advanced lol. It seems like they definitely found some estrogenic properties in fenugreek, but as for all the cancer talk, I have no idea what their findings were.

Well, i had the same thing happen to me as ya'll. After the second page my eyes kinda glazed over. This is really more up wahaikas alley than mine. I did read the conclussions page. The point of the study was to see if the phytoestrogens in fenugreek. Could be used for the treatment of menapause in females. If I understood it correctly. They were simply saying that fenugreek would not be a good substitute for this purpose. there were concerns over having too much (possible cancer risk) or too little estrogen to be of use. Maybe Wahaika will look it over and give us a better explanation. I think the manner of how they seperated the phytoestrogens, and applied it may play a role in its use. Some herbalist I have come across say to use the whole herb for the best effect. Modern medicine is looking at an extract for use as a proscription drug.

The study basically tests how potent the estrogenic effects of fenugreek is by looking at whether fenugreek has the same effect on the body as estrogen and at what doses. They look at growth and division of breast cancer cells that have estrogen receptors, binding of estrogen receptors and activation of estrogen dependent genes in the presence of fenugreek. They conclude that fenugreek does have estrogenic properties. They also report that fenugreek could possibly be an alternative to HRT but more test need to be conducted.

An important thing to note is phytoestrogens bind to estrogen receptors and prevented estodiol from binding. So phytoestrogens can act like estrogen in the body, or prevent estrogen from working. This is what I got understood anyway. The trick is to skip the method section unless you know your chemistry.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon