Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

BO and progesterone

How does BB increase progesterone
I know that this question has come up several times now and we have yet to find an answer so I've been digging again and sending emails.

So far, I'm still on the fence about it. I have found things supporting it's a progesterone producer and things that support that it's a estrogen producer. I still am holding out hope that I'm missing something though.

So the question is, how is the bovine ovary considered a natural progesterone based supplement. I began getting an inkling of this by not looking into BO but into the history of wild Yam.

excerpt:
In reality, there is no progesterone, DHEA, or any other hormone in wild yam, nor does wild yam contain any substances that have progesterone-like or estrogen-like effects.2

To explain this widespread misunderstanding, we have to go back a number of years. When progesterone was first discovered, it was very expensive to produce. The first methods involved direct extraction of progesterone from cow ovaries, a process that required 50,000 cows to yield 20 mg of purified hormone! 3 Other hormones such as estrogen and DHEA were also difficult to manufacture. Although doctors wanted to experiment with prescribing these treatments as medicine until a simpler production method could be developed, it simply wasn't feasible.

The race to discover a more economical source of hormones was won by a scientist/businessman named Russell Marker. In the 1940s, he perfected a method of synthesizing progesterone from a constituent of wild yam called diosgenin. This process involves several chemical transformations carried out in the laboratory.

Wild Yam

So, originally in order to get natural progesterone it had to be extracted from cow ovaries. I'm guessing if you were to try to apply this to our question it would go without saying that when you have ground up bovine ovary, you have everything it contained, not only the ovary tissue, but also the progesterone and the estrogen that was in it ect.

If you take into consideration how glandular therapy is supposed to work, it's not a far leap to say it is a naturally based progesterone supplement, BUT then again, it is also a naturally based estrogen supplement as well, which tends to be left out a lot. In theory, taking bovine ovary glandulars should naturally improve function of the ovaries, in all areas of production, by supplementing with an ovary glandular. It's not meant to increase one area more than another, but to bring a natural balance of production to all areas.

For those of us that already have any type of hormone imbalance, taking them may improve those symptoms, but as for it being long term or short term who's to say. It might just be a matter of once your body gets used to the new support, things will once again start creeping up.

Botanical Beauty Lab has a nice little write up on BO and states the following:

BOVINE OVARY CONCENTRATE The use of bovine ovary concentrate ('BO') is derived from the old, turn-of-the-20th-century medical practice known as 'Glandular Therapy'. The 'Glandular' school of medicine proposed that patients with diseased organs who were fed with the corresponding organ from healthy livestock would enjoy a rejuvenation of that organ. Although it fell out of favor for many years, there are still currently some alternative medical practitioners that continue to recommend that their patients use glandular therapy. Traditional medical protocal still uses at least one form of glandular therapy - the use of the medication 'Armour' for hypothyroidism. Armour is basically a standardized form of bovine thyroid tissue. Interestingly enough, 'Glandular Therapy' has become quite popular recently in veterinary medicine - and is considered state-of-the-art and a preferred treatment for pets and livestock.

There are few commerical companies making use of bovine ovarian concentrate for breast enlargement. The exact mechanism of how 'BO' works for breast enlargement is unknown, though there are a couple of theories. 1) that it is a form of estrogen replacement. 2) that it contains enzymes and nutrients that feed the user's own ovaries. 3) that it stimulates the user's ovaries to produce more estrogen. 4) that it contains chemicals that affect the pituitary gland to produce LH and subsequently more estrogen. Likely, it is a combination of the four. Though how and why it works is not entirely clear, many women (including myself) find that it does indeed work very well. Women who are generally on the thin side find it works better for them than the herbal programs. These commercial products can be extremely expensive, ranging from $80 - $150 for a one-months supply of supplements. However, plain bovine ovarian concentrate supplements - not labeled for 'breast enlargement' - are available at a much reduced price (as low as $20-$25 dollars per month) and work every bit as well as the expensive supplements with the pictures of large-breasted women on the bottles.

Bovine Ovarian Concentrate should be considered an 'estrogenic' supplement. Although anti-androgens like saw palmetto, and progesterone-blockers like damiana and wild yam can be used along with bovine ovarian concentrate, 'BO' should generally not be used with phytoestrogens like red clover, fenugreek, kudzu or fennel. Usual dosage for 'BO' for breast enhancement is 1800 mgs per day, divided into 4 doses and taken with a meal or snack. Should this amount prove ineffective (i.e. no 'growing pains' after one month of use), dosage can be upped to 2200 or 2400 mgs per day.

Like all estrogenic supplements, 'BO' can interfere with thyroid function. So it is a good idea to monitor body temperatures on a regular basis and to supplement with kelp or tyrosine should your average body temperature drop below 97 degree

You can read it on the site with this link Bovie Ovary supplements

This write up does make sense to me in it's claim about increasing the estrogen load, since earlier this year I began having migraines again, which for me are always estrogen related. I had to pull out my natural progesterone cream to get them back under control. So if I were to go by what my body is telling me only, I would lean more in the direction of botanicals article... but I did already have hormone imbalances before beginning BO, so that might smudge really being able to draw on the results for a conclusion.

Below are the BB and UB websites information on progesterone in relation to their products also.

Bountiful breast says theirs is a progesterone based glandular. Here is their excerpt from the site:

•Our breast enlargement capsules are a completely safe, natural, progesterone-based glandular product.
•Progesterone is a primary precursor in the biosynthesis of the adrenal corticosteroids. Without adequate progesterone, synthesis of the cortisones is impaired and the body turns to alternate pathways. These alternate pathways have masculine-producing side effects such as long facial hairs and thinning of scalp hair. Further impaired corticosteroid production can result in a diminished capacity to handle physical or emotional stress.
•Estrogen-based breast augmentation products may cause a temporary enhancement as many women have discovered when using birth control pills. A permanent increase in breast size is possible ONLY through increasing the amount of fat you store in your breasts!
•Menopausal or post-menopausal women with clinical signs of hypothyroidism, such as fatigue, lack of energy, intolerance to cold, are actually suffering from estrogen dominance and will benefit from supplementation with natural progesterone.
•Estrogen and most of the synthetic progestins increase intracellular sodium and water uptake which can cause hypertension. Natural progesterone is a diuretic and prevents the cell's uptake of sodium and water, thus preventing hypertension.
•Whereas estrogen impairs homeostatic control of glucose levels, natural progesterone stabilizes them. Thus, natural progesterone can be beneficial to both those with diabetes and those with reactive hypoglycemia.

Bountiful Breast ingredients from packing notice

Our product contains 600mg of a proprietary blend of only 3 ingredients: Argentinean bovine pituitary glandulars, Argentinean bovine ovary glandulars, and kelp

You can go directly to the page here Question #5

As for Ultrabreast, they say the exact same thing also, but they do have wild yam extract in their ingredient list.

» Our progesterone based glandular product is naturally formulated to be completely safe.

» Progesterone is the primary forerunner in the biosynthesis of adrenal corticosteroids. Adequate amounts of progesterone are necessary to prevent alternate pathways such as development of masculine producing side effects or the diminished capacity to handle physical or emotional stress. So a progesterone base is a good thing!

» Progesterone is key to promoting an enhanced feeling of emotional well being and psychological self-efficiency.

» Non-progesterone based breast augmentation products such as those with an estrogen-base may cause temporary enhancement as many women discover when using birth control pills. However, a permanent increase in breast size is only possible through increasing the amount of fat stored in your breasts.

» If you are menopausal or post-menopausal with clinical signs of hypothyroidism, such as fatigue, lack of energy, intolerance to cold, are actually suffering from estrogen dominance and will benefit from the supplementation with natural progesterone formulated into The Ultra Breast System™.

» Common among women who are menopausal and post-menopausal is thinning and wrinkled skin, a sign of lack of hydration in the skin and hormone depletion.

» Most of the synthetic progesterone and estrogen pills increase intracellular sodium and water uptake, which can increase symptoms of hypertension. Natural progesterone, however, is a diuretic and prevents the cell’s uptake of sodium and water, thus preventing hypertension.

» Natural progesterone stabilizes homeostatic control of glucose levels, whereas estrogen impairs it. Natural progesterone can also be beneficial to individuals with diabetes and those with reactive hypoglycemia.

» Progesterone serves an important role in keeping brain cells healthy and is essential in promoting healthy development of the myelin sheath, which protects nerve cells.

ingredients for ultrabreast

The Ultra Breast System™ contains the following ingredients:
400 MG Bovine Ovary
50 MG Ipriflavone
15 MG Wild Yam Extract
Magnesium
Gelatin

website link medplex ultrabreast

I have found one other supplement that uses bovine ovary for an ingredient and that is ovex. It is used for natural hormone balance.

Very informative. Thx. Wink

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon