Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Ipriflavone

I was looking into Ipriflavone, as it is one of the ingredients in UB. UB claims that is has nog estrogenic effects and it's completely safe.

This is what I found in an article http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetContent.aspx?token=e0498803-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&chunkiid=21776:

About 3,000 people have used ipriflavone in clinical studies, and in all but two, no significant adverse effects were seen.55,56 However, these trials (a 3-year, double-blind trial of almost 500 women, as well as a small study) found worrisome evidence that ipriflavone can reduce levels of white blood cells called lymphocytes.57,58 For this reason, anyone taking ipriflavone for the long-term should have periodic measurements taken of white blood cell count.

In addition, ipriflavone should not be used by anyone with immune deficiencies, such as HIV, or by those who take drugs that suppress the immune system, except under physician supervision. There are other potential risks as well. Because ipriflavone is metabolized by the kidneys, individuals with severe kidney disease should have their ipriflavone dosage monitored by a physician.59 Individuals with ulcers should also avoid ipriflavone.60

Also, although ipriflavone itself does not affect tissues outside of bone, some evidence suggests that if it is combined with estrogen, estrogen's effects on the uterus are increased.61,62 This might mean that the risk of uterine cancer would be elevated over taking estrogen alone. It should be possible to overcome this risk by taking progesterone along with estrogen, which is standard medical practice. However, this finding does make one wonder whether ipriflavone-estrogen combinations raise the risk of breast cancer too, an estrogen side effect that has no easy solution. At present, there is no available information on this important subject.

Additionally, ipriflavone may interfere with certain drugs by affecting the way they are processed in the liver. For example, it may raise blood levels of the older asthma drug theophylline.63,64,65 It could also raise levels of caffeine, meaning that if you drink coffee while taking ipriflavone you might stay up longer than you expect. Ipriflavone could also interact with tolbutamide (a drug for diabetes), phenytoin (used for epilepsy), and Coumadin (a blood thinner).66 Such interactions are potentially dangerous, especially since phenytoin and Coumadin cause osteoporosis, and some people might be tempted to try taking ipriflavone at the same time.
[i]

I am not sure about the quantities they talk about in this article, it may be that the amount in UB is very low, but still..I guess you should be careful when taking BCP!

Just wanted to share this with you girls

Ipriflavone is a synthetic isoflavone which is used to inhibit bone resorption, maintain bone density and to prevent osteoporosis in postmenopausal women.Ipriflavone is a synthetic isoflavone derivative, which has been suggested to be an inhibitor of bone resorption and a stimulator of osteoblast activity in vitro in cell cultures and in vivo in experimental models of osteoporosis.Ipriflavone works by inhibiting a calcium dependent protease throughout the body.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon