Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Why should I use GLA

Why should I use GLA (aka Borage,EPO or Starflower)?
February 27 2006 at 7:47 PM Steph (no login)

GLA (aka Gamma Liniec Acid) is one of three EFA's (aka Essential Fatty Acids).The BEST dietary source of EFA is to consume fish and unless u eat fish SEVERAL times a week,u should be taking a complete Omega Complex (3,6 and 9)daily.GLA is the Omega 6 oil and is recommended in NBE b/c it has been reported to cause NBE all by itself (rare) and it has "hormone balancing" effects.EPO (Evening Primrose Oil)is the MOST studied source of GLA and applied topically can be used as a NBE topical (IMO),an eczema ,dermatitus,or skin inflammation treatment in general, and Omega Complex can treat some cases of hyper- activity (ADHD)in children and mental illness in any age group,studies have found that people with "mood" issues are most ofton deficiant in EFA levels.Thats my GENERAL profile on the topic and I REALLY encourage people to USE these oils in diet or by supplimentation,and the GLA oil should be a part of the NBE routine (IMO).

Sunset
(no login)
I am understanding more and more
February 27 2006, 11:03 PM

why this stuff is important. And if what I am reading is true then I would agree it should be used also.

The only thing "holding me back" or the reason I am afraid to use it, is because I read in another thread that it could actually cause you to shrink?
This is supposed to be because it's used as an anti-inflamatory, there for it could cause all the growing and swelling to go away?

But on the other hand (bear with me, I try to see it from both sides..lol)
If these phytoestrogens cause the breast to grow the way that they would during puberty, then wouldnt any growth be "GROWTH" and not "SWELLING"?

This is where my confusion about taking it or not comes in.

I do want to thank you very much for the info you gave.

Steph
(no login)
Hi SS
February 27 2006, 11:26 PM

Im assuming ur referring to HB's input,I cant speak for her but I can say this:After I started all my GLA mumbo-jumbo,I believe atleast 2 girls have reported "feeling" that it was doing something re topical use.As far as oral use,most of the growers have some form of GLA in their routine.As far as inflammation being reduced,thats more of a "skin/dermal" indication (rashes ect).I dont want to end up feeling like Ive "pushed" anyone into using it soley based on "my opinion" so all I can really add to this would be that Im using it and Im growing and so are others and beyond that only u can decide whats best for ur routine:-)

Sunset
(no login)
I dont think you are being pushy at all
February 27 2006, 11:48 PM

I actually feel like I am draining you for all the info you can give me on it..lol.
I like to learn about these different things, the good the bad AND the ugly about ALL OF IT. That way I can make a well informed decision.

And I guarente that YES I DO need to take this stuff.
I DO NOT eat ANYTHING from the water. No fish, crab,lobster,clam,oyster..absolutely NOTHING from water. SO, if thats a key way to get the GLA, then yep, I know I lack it.

I will definatley keep this info in mind and as a matter of fact, I was talking to my Mom today about how I thought I may try the EPO.
So I am really glad I am learning more about it. And for that reason, please dont think that you are "pushing" it on me, I feel like I have to "pull" it out of you, because you dont want any one to get the wrong impression.

I want blunt, honest feedback when I ask questions, or when I am interested in something that someone else may know more about. SO if you HIGHLY recomend something, I like to know about it.(Or if any one else recomends something, I like to know) If you STRONGLY disagre with something, I want to know that too.

I have my own mind, and in the end I feel I will make the best decision for myself. But still, I like to know what others feel about things too.

I do respect the fact that you dont want to come off pushy, but I want you to rest assured knowing that I wont acuse you of that.

I probably made no sense to you at all, but ok, I'm done now..lol.. :0)

sunset
(no login)
Just want to clarify
February 27 2006, 11:53 PM

when i said I feel like I am pulling info out of you, I dont meen that I think you are "holding" back. What I meen is that I should probably look it up myself, because I feel like I can be overbearing with questions at times.

Steph
(no login)
Thanks SS
February 28 2006, 12:15 AM

Ok,if u dont eat fish then rather then take the GLA seperate u should just get the Complex I spoke of and that INCLUDES the GLA (for BE purposes)PLUS contains the other 2 EFA's (Fish and Flax).People that consume EFA's thru diet may only want to use the GLA for BE but if ur NOT consuming thru diet then u should as the ideal,just take the entire Omega Complex which again will give u ALL 3 EFA's in the convience of ONE pill,RD is uasually 2 pills per day,their quite large but their SOFTGELS so easy to swallow.

Sunset
(no login)
Ok Steph
February 28 2006, 12:22 AM

So then if I took the complex containing all 3, then could I still buy the EPO caps, and use the oil out of it for a massage? Or would that be too much do you think taking all of 'em together?

Steph
(no login)
Yes!
February 28 2006, 12:44 AM

Infact thats what Im doing,I know on my page I posted EPO only but that was for the sake of NOT confusing newbies b/c only the GLA matters for BE but the 1500mg of EPO I listed for my routine is actually consumed via Omega Complex and then I apply EPO topically 3 times per day,with heat when I have time:-)

Sunset
(no login)
Ok Great!
February 28 2006, 12:59 AM

I have one more question and then I'll hush..lol
If I get the EPO, to use for massage, How many mg is suitable for a first time starter like myself?

If you already said how much, please forgive me, as I am trying to type, listen to my daughter talk to me, and take all this info in while having a headache all day..lol

Steph
(no login)
LoL I think we're ALL trying to OVER MULTI TASK:-)
February 28 2006, 1:10 AM

Ok,Im personally using 500mg softgels so I suppose u could check into lower and higher mg content for the purposes of "ramping up" but honestly Im not familur with the diff mg availability.

Angela
(no login)
Re: Why should I use GLA (aka Borage,EPO or Starflower)?
February 28 2006, 1:19 AM

Okay so I know I have asked this before but I honestly don't know where it is so....I have IBS so when I take Borage or flax oil then my stomach hurts. I don't get the runs from it but I get all of the other things, foggy head, way too bloated, naseua (sorry, brain fart on the spelling) and it is just not worth it to me. Can I use it in my batter? I am using the PM cream with fenugreek added. I don't like any kind of fish except tuna and I don't really eat that but every once in awhile. So, any help is appreciated and again sorry for the repeat.

Angela

Steph
(no login)
Hi Angela
February 28 2006, 1:36 AM

Ok,Im not "extremely" familur with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) but Im sure that TOPICAL use wont further aggervate it.The smell in EPO is mild and NOT as "fishy" in comparison with popping an Omega Complex cap for example.Put it this way the EPO is mild enough that ur normal deoderant or perfume will completely cover it up IMO:-)

Steph
(no login)
LOL...re the smell
February 28 2006, 1:58 AM

Once again Im SPEED reading thru posts before I respond and Angela I thought u wrote "I dont want to SMELL like TUNA"..LOL,thats why I was describing the EPO smell:-D

Angela
(no login)
Ha Ha Ha
February 28 2006, 2:04 AM

Steph,
I really, really like you. You are very real and you seem like a blast to be around. And thank you I will try it tonight to see if I can speed things up. I think I only have about a month and a half until Adventure Island (a water park around here) opens for the year so I'm practically BEGGING my boobies to grow faster.

Angela

Steph
(no login)
Oh my gosh Angela,thats the NICEST thing...
February 28 2006, 2:21 AM

Anyones ever said to me since Ive been here!And probably in my "off web" life too:-)Thanku and I really "click" with certain people too and Ive ALWAYS considered u one of them too! BTW,u mentioned ur "proffes7ion" on a recent thread and we do the SAME thing so simular intrests ofton equal simular personalities I guess:-D

Sunset
(no login)
Steph re: the mg doseages
February 28 2006, 3:02 AM

Thanks once again! I will certainly be looking at EPO and thinking about adding it to my routine. I thought maybe I could use this when I do my "extra" massages in the afternoon. Just using the EPO at that time by itself.

Thank you SO MUCH on the GLA 101!

Angela
(no login)
How cool is that?!
February 28 2006, 3:09 AM

Steph,
I would love to ask you a few questions pertaining to work. would that be alright? I know that this is a boob forum but if I give you my e-mail then would you be able to write me so I can ask you? Thanks a bunch1

Angela

Steph
(no login)
To Angela re Email
February 28 2006, 3:27 AM

Hi,on a personal note yah I wouldnt mind at all to email back n forth but although I do have email capabilities,it costs me per email and my type space is limited to the size of the cellphone text message format so Id say its not plausable at this time BUT Im hoping to have my home PC by May so make sure if ur done with BE and the forum by then that u COME BACK and post ur address email OR u could post it on ur "personal program" or however u want to leave it for me ok,I cant WAIT until I have a real PC:-D

Angela
(no login)
February 28 2006, 3:34 AM

Steph,
Okay, I'll do that. I am going to be ramping down starting sometime in June but I am sure I will still be here. I will probably start back up at the end of summer. I would have loved to be done by fall so I could have my veins done in my legs but oh well I will have to wait until the next year. Thanks again.

Angela

Steph
(no login)
Hi Again Ang,re ur "leg veins"
February 28 2006, 3:47 AM

I dont know the extent of them but if they're NOT the type that "buldge out",u can try some Vitamin K (purest form topical that u can try to find) and that may do the trick,u may possibly even find some at ur Beauty Supplier,again though this treatment is only for VISIBLE below the skin veins and NOT buldging serious ones.

Angela
(no login)
February 28 2006, 3:54 AM

I have spider veins really bad. Since doing BE they have gotten so much worse. I have not worn shorts in 2 summers because on my right leg it looks like 2 big bruises. I am not looking forward to summer only because I don't wear shorts and I am in Florida so my summer starts in a couple of weeks. The bright spot is that I have nice boobs now though. Smile Thanks for the sug. I will get that and try it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Angela

Steph
(no login)
Re Topical Vitamin K
February 28 2006, 4:44 AM

Ang,it will come in cream form I think and keep in mind that it will take aprox 3 weeks to start seeing VISIBLE results and u dont see ANY type of improvement by then,Id say it may not work for u BUT I'll tell u it works wonders on dark under eye circles,its indicated for spider veins too and its pretty cheap stuff considering what it can do for some people!

Sunset
(no login)
So I bought some EPO
March 1 2006, 4:31 PM

Yesterday while I was at rite aid. I used it for my massage last night.
I am thinking of using it in my day massages all on it's own. before I was going to use fenugreek and lotion in the day, and probably still will unless the smell becomes over bearing.

If I DO use the fenugreek in the day AND the night for massages, then I will do my "extra" mid-day massage with just the EPO.

Now, I dont know if the EPO had anything to do with this but last night when I got out of the shower, I used 1 500mg EPO on one breast, and 1 500mg EPO on the other breast totaling 1000mg of EPO. (according to the bottle you can take 1-3 of them up to 3xday) any how, after I was done, I was sitting on the couch talking to my fiance and I started to feel a little light-headed.
Also, I have been cutting back smoking, and so I am going farther between from one cigarette to the next..so THAT may have been why I got light-headed, I dont know. When I use them tonight, I will have to see if it happens again, and not smoke right after. The feeling only lasted 2-3 minutes maybe, and then went away. I will get back to ya on this. Hopefully it wasnt the EPO that caused it, because then I may react this way to the other herbs as well and then I would be P***ED! Well, just though I would let you know that I am going to add them to my routine now! =)

Steph
(no login)
Hi SS:-D
March 1 2006, 11:25 PM

Gosh I hope it wasnt the EPO but off the top from what u describe Im thinking not only b/c u used it EXTERNALY,my guess would be that it wouldve caused a rash or something on the surface rather than an internal symptom and especially b/c it happened quicker then any deep penatration shouldve occurred but all that aside everyones different so u never know either but I sure hope NOT,good luck tonight when u try it again:-)

sunset
(no login)
Yes, I really hope you are right
March 2 2006, 12:56 AM

I dont think it was the EPO, but ya never know. I really hope it wasnt.
I would say I got light headed from smoking. It was like 2 hours between there before I had a cigarette. (I am trying so hard to quite) and I was really tired to, (sometimes when I stay up to late, I will get dizzy and sick to my stomach) so yeah, I'm gonna still apply it tonight and see if it happens again (hopefully not) and I'll let ya know.

Sunset
(no login)
It's all good =)
March 2 2006, 3:41 PM

Hi Steph, I used 2 of them last night, the same way I did the night before and everything was great.

Steph
(no login)
A bump for the newbies
March 9 2006, 5:59 AM

I would like to add that Fish and Flax (the other 2 Omegas) while VERY beneficial to ur health do NOT aid NBE and it is only the GLA oils that are used FOR NBE purposes.I would also add that if u choose Borage for ur GLA I would take LESS than the typical 1000mg to START off,thats a commen dose to start EPO BUT Borage is higher in GLA than EPO so u should need less of it IMO and that will give u more room to ramp up during ur routine.That would be my suggestion for Borage users.I would also like to add that Borage is listed on TOXIC herb profiles ONLY when its NOT properly handled by the manufacturer and even though NO member has expeirenced this,u should still be aware of it as a possibility and do ur own research!

Angela
(no login)
March 9 2006, 4:54 PM

I just started back using Borage Oil. For some reason my IBS doesn't seem as bad as it used to, I don't know if it is the herbs or what but I'm not complaining. Anyway it has 1300 mgs of Borage OIl in it. It has 312 mgs of GLA. it says "with 24% GLA". Is this a good one or should I get another one? Thanks so much for all your help.

Angela

Jamerai
(Login Jamerai)
EVE MEMBERS
Bump
March 9 2006, 9:27 PM

Bonne Chance, and Bigger Boobies!

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS
March 9 2006, 9:34 PM

Borage is usually taken in doses of 1000mg to 1300mg with a GLA content of between 20% and 26%. Yours appears to be fine.

starflower capsules
October 27 2006 at 6:06 PM Linda (no login)

Hello,
I bought starflower capsules today, 1000mg 220GLA can anyone explain what GLA means? I will be using this for massage and would like to know do I massage over the nipple and also how many capsules per day could I use.
many thanks for a response
Linda

Eve M
(Login EveEM)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: starflower capsules
October 27 2006, 7:10 PM

GLA is gamma linoleic acid, an omega-6 essential fatty acid.

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
October 27 2006, 7:13 PM

Here is more info -

Borage

Beneficial Effects of GLA:

Omega-6 fatty acids are considered essential fatty acids (EFAs), which means that they are essential to health. EFA cannot be made in the body and therefore must be obtained from the foods we eat or by supplementation. Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is an essential fatty acid in the omega-6 family that is found mostly in oil rich plants.

EFAs are needed for:

normal brain function
growth and development
bone health
stimulation of skin and hair growth
regulation of metabolism
maintenance of reproductive processes
Deficiencies in EFAs can lead to:

reduced growth
a scaly rash called dermatitis
infertility
lack of ability to fight infection and heal wounds

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keeping A Healthy Balance
Lack of omega-6 fatty acids is rare. Diets, however, tend to have too much omega-6 in relation to omega-3 fatty acids. The ratio of omega-3(EPA) to omega-6 is critical. Omega-6 EFAs serve as building blocks for prostaglandins, a group of hormone-like substances that regulate many crucial functions of the body. If this imbalance continues over a long period of time, it contributes to diseases such as:

heart disease
cancer
asthma
arthritis
depression
For optimum health and disease prevention, the balance should consist of one to four times more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3 fatty acids. The average diet usually contains 11 to 30 times more omega-6 than omega-3 fatty acids.

Omega-6 fatty acids are the primary oil found in inexpensive oil products and is added to most processed foods. To help restore a healthy ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 EFAs, we should try to avoid omega-6 oils in our diet and supplement with GLA. A diet high in sugar and processed fats interferes with the bodies conversion of GLA to prostaglandin.

The popularity of the Mediterranean diet is largely due to its healthier balance of omega-6 to omega-3 EFAs. The Mediterranean diet includes:

whole grains
fresh fruits and vegetables
fish
olive oil
garlic
little meat, which is high in omega-6 fatty acids
There are several different types of omega-6 fatty acids. Most omega-6 fatty acids are consumed in the diet from vegetable oils as linoleic acid (LA; be careful not to confuse this with alpha-linolenic acid [ALA] which is an omega-3 fatty acid). Linoleic acid is converted to gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) in the body and then further broken down to arachidonic acid (AA). AA can also be consumed directly from meat.

Excess amounts of LA and AA are unhealthy because they promote inflammation leading to the diseases described above. However, GLA may actually reduce inflammation. Much of the GLA taken as a supplement is not converted to AA, but rather to a substance called dihomogamma-linolenic acid (DGLA).DGLA competes with AA and prevents the negative inflammatory effects that AA
would otherwise cause in the body. In addition, DGLA becomes part of prostaglandins that reduce inflammation.

Having adequate amounts of certain nutrients in the body (including magnesium, zinc, and vitamins C, B3, and B6) helps promote the conversion of GLA to DGLA rather than AA. So we see once again that over all nutrition is important.

Functions of Prostaglandins:
Production of steroids
Hormone synthesis
Inflammation, pain and swelling
Regulation of blood pressure
Helps regulate the body's fluid balance by assisting kidney function
Regulates blood clotting and platelet aggregation
Allergic response to allergens
Nerve transmission

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources of GLA
Evening primrose
Black current
Borage oil
Research shows that up to 2,800 mg of GLA per day is well tolerated. Doses of GLA greater than 3,000 mg per day should be avoided because, at that point, production of AA (rather than DGLA) may increase.

Who Should Not Supplement With GLA
GLA should not be used during pregnancy because they may be harmful to the fetus and induce early labor.

Omega-6 supplements should not be taken if you have a seizure disorder. GLA supplements have been shown to increase seizures.

Possible Drug Interactions:
If you are taking any of the following drugs, you should check with your doctor before taking a GLA supplement.

Ceftazidime: GLA may increase the effectiveness of ceftazidime against bacterial infections.
Chemotherapy for cancer: GLA may make some chemotherapy, such as doxorubicin, cisplatin, carboplatin, idarubicin, mitoxantrone, tamoxifen, vincristine, and vinblastine, more effective.
Cyclosporine: GLA supplementation during therapy with cyclosporine, a drug used to suppress the immune system, may increase the effectiveness of this drug and may protect against kidney damage which is a known side effect.
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs): The use of NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen, may damped the effects of GLA supplement.
Phenothiazines for schizophrenia: Individuals taking any of the phenothiazines (such as chlorpromazine, fluphenazine, perphenazine, promazine, and thioridazine) should avoid taking GLA because it may cause seizures.

Who Will Benefit From GLA Supplementation?
Anyone diagnosed with:
diabetes*. Diabetics cannot convert GLA from linoleic acid. GLA supplementation improves nerve function and may prevent diabetic nerve disease*. The recommended daily dose for diabetes it is 480 mg per day of GLA.
arthritis* Some preliminary information indicates that GLA, from borage oil, or black currant seed oil, may diminish joint pain, swelling, and morning stiffness. GLA may also allow for reduction in the amount of pain medication used by those with rheumatoid arthritis. The studies to date, however, have been small in size. Additional research would be helpful, including testing a proposed theory that using GLA and EPA (an omega-3 fatty acid from fish and fish oil) together would be helpful for rheumatoid arthritis. The recommended dosage for rheumatoid arthritis is 1,400 mg per day of GLA.
Raynaud's Disease* Recent research suggests that supplementation with omega-3
and omega-6 essential fatty acids (EFAs) may be useful because they decrease platelet aggregation, which can limit blood flow. Some natural practitioners recommend massaging the oil into affected fingers and toes to improve blood flow, as well.
eczema*
fibrocystic breast disease*
Osteoporosis*. A deficiency in essential fatty acids (including GLA and EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid) can lead to severe bone loss and osteoporosis. Studies have shown that supplements of GLA and EPA together help maintain or increase bone mass. Essential fatty acids may also enhance calcium absorption, increase calcium deposits in bones, diminish calcium loss in urine, improve bone strength, and enhance bone growth, all of which may contribute to improved bone mass and, therefore, strength.
PMS*. Women with PMS have been shown to have impaired conversion of linoleic acid to GLA. Some women find relief of their PMS symptoms when using GLA supplements. The symptoms that seem to be helped the most are breast tenderness and feelings of depression as well as irritability and swelling and bloating from fluid retention. Breast tenderness from causes other than PMS may also improve with use of GLA.
Allergies. People who are prone to allergies may require more EFAs and often have difficulty converting LA to GLA. In fact, women and infants who are prone to allergies appear to have lower levels of GLA in breast milk and blood.
Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Research to date has suggested an improvement in symptoms and behaviors related to ADHD from omega-3 fatty acids. Results of studies supplying omega-6 fatty acids in the form of GLA to children with ADHD, however, have been mixed and, therefore, not conclusive. More research on GLA for ADHD is needed before conclusions can be drawn. In the meantime, ensuring a healthier balance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids in the diet seems worthwhile for those with this
behavioral condition.
Alcoholism. GLA may help lessen cravings for alcohol and prevent liver damage.
Cancer. Results of studies looking at the relationship of omega-6 fatty acids to cancer have been mixed. While LA and AA are cancer promoting in studies of colon, breast, and other cancers, GLA has shown some benefit for breast cancer in certain studies. The information is not conclusive and is somewhat controversial. The safest bet is to eat a diet with the proper balance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids, starting from a young age, to try to prevent the development of cancer.
High Blood Pressure and Heart Disease. Studies suggest that GLA, either alone or in combination with two important omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA both found in fish and fish oil, may lower the blood pressure of hypertensive rats. Together with EPA and DHA, the GLA helped to prevent the development of heart disease in these animals as well. It is unclear whether these benefits would occur in people.
Ulcers. Very preliminary evidence from test tube and animal studies suggest that GLA from EPO may have anti-ulcer properties. It is premature to know how this might apply to people with stomach or intestinal ulcers or gastritis (inflammation of the stomach).

=^_^=

Linda
(no login)
October 27 2006, 9:01 PM

Faerycat,
You have a wealth of knowledge, All that you have said is very interesting.
I have inflammatory bowel disease, so maybe I could gain something from taking borage oil.
Any idea on daily dosage as I would have to be careful as a beginner with my digestive disorder?
I am very grateful for that reply and will study it further.
many thanks
Linda

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
October 28 2006, 1:49 PM

Wow, Faerycat!!! As said, you are amazing!!! Thank you for taking the time to post so much information! You are such a great resource on this forum!

Growing boobie blessings to all!

faerycat
(Login faerycat)
October 28 2006, 3:10 PM

Hey, no worries. You girls are worth the effort :-)

To Linda - I'm not qualified to state dosages to help with your problem. It is possible that if you are eating a healthy balanced diet, you may be getting all the GLA that you need. But if not, start with a low dose of starflower oil....say 500mg and with that remember to take omega-3. As far I can recall, Vitamin E is a source of omega-3, so take about 100mg of Vit E. It would help to take zinc, vit C and a good vit B complex to aid absorbsion.

Are you on any meds for your IBD? If so, check the possible drug interactions before starting out. Also, try to cut out refined sugar and flour products. Try to eat as healthily as possible.

Lots of luck

x

why we need E.F.A's and why they're good for N.B.E
February 6 2009 at 8:50 AM
may (Login Cselestyna)

Why do we need Essential Fats?

Just as a member of a large family has many roles, essential fats serve many functions in the complex workings of the human body. Taken in the right amounts and ratios, and taken from the right sources, essential fats help establish and maintain health as follows . . .

Increase energy, performance, and stamina. EFAs enhance thermogenesis, help build muscle, prevent muscle break down, and speed recovery from fatigue;
Strengthen the immune system. EFAs make hormone-like eicosanoids that regulate immune and inflammatory responses. N-3s have anti-inflammatory effects and can slow autoimmune damage;

Lower most risk factors for cardiovascular disease. EFAs (especially n3s) lower abnormally high levels of blood pressure, triglycerides, Lp(a), fibrinogen, tendency to clot formation, and inflammation;

Improve brain function: mood, intelligence , behavior, and vision. Our brain is over 60% fat. EFAs are important components of the entire nervous system. They are necessary to make the neurotransmitter serotonin. Depression and other brain diseases show decreased levels of n-3;

Aid in weight reduction. EFAs help keep mood and energy up and suppress appetite, thereby aiding in weight loss. More recently, they have been found to block the genes that produce fat in the body (saturated and Trans Fat do not have this same effect) and increase thermogenesis;

Regulate organs and glands. Liver and kidneys, adrenal and thyroid glands, and the production of male and female hormones need EFAs;

Speed recovery and healing. EFAs are necessary for cell growth and division. They form all cell membranes and regulate vital cell activity;

Support healthy child development. For nervous system development, a growing fetus needs optimum EFAs from the mother's body. Mothers become depleted of EFAs during pregnancy, and need optimal EFA intake for their health and their children's optimum development;

Improve digestion. Poorly digested foods tie up the immune system and can cause gut inflammation, leaky gut, and allergies. N-3s improve gut integrity, and decrease inflammation and "leaky gut";

Decrease infection. EFAs have anti-fungal, anti-yeast, and anti-microbial properties, helping to protect against infections;

Keep bones strong. EFAs aid in the transport of minerals that keep bones and teeth strong, helping to prevent osteoporosis;

Protect genetic material. EFAs regulate gene expression, and n-3s inhibit tumor growth;

Ease PMS. Studies indicate that n-6 (GLA) intake was voted, by women, among the top three most effective PMS treatments. N-3s may be even more effective;

Produce beautiful skin, hair, and nails. Some of the first signs of EFA deficiency are dry, flaky skin, dull hair, and brittle nails. N-3s can help skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne. Also, GLA (n-6 derivative) administration is useful for some patients with atopic eczema.

SO girls, those omega 3.6.9 supplements your taking, with flax, borage and fish oil, really are helping your body, and they ARE helping your breasts.

just thought that this was interesting for those hwo aren't sure why it's neccessary for N.B.E.

may
(Login Cselestyna)
Re: why we need E.F.A's and why they're good for N.B.E
February 6 2009, 8:54 AM

also E.P.O is an E.F.A, if you want to know more about E.P.O here is a website you can check out,

http://www.evening-primrose-oil.com/health-beauty.html

it's very inmformative.

Julia
(Login Julia)
Re: why we need E.F.A's and why they're good for N.B.E
February 6 2009, 7:17 PM

Many of us have been brought up with the idea that eating fatty foods means a larger waistline, but not all fats are bad fats, in fact some fats are actually very good for you, essential fatty acids (EFAs). The key essential fatty acids are Omega-6 and Omega-3.

Breast cells are sensitive to EFA balance. Many women suffer from painful or lumpy breasts during the pre-menstrual phase of their monthly cycle. Research has shown that women who have an imbalance between prostaglandins develop an unusual heightened sensitivity to estrogen during the pre-menstrual phase of their cycle. This triggers changes in breast cells causing rapid cell growth leading to increased breast size, pain, inflammation and lumpy breast tissue.

The good news is that if you correct the prostaglandin imbalance these monthly PMT symptoms clear quickly. Studies have found that supplementing with the omega-6 fatty acid GLA can quickly desensitise breast cells to this estrogen over sensitivity by balancing body prostaglandins.

Fish oil/Omega 3 info
March 31 2006 at 6:35 PM
Sunset (Login liquidSunset)
EVE MEMBERS

Hey ladies, I have been doing some "research" on fish oil and its benifits.
And if it has any conection to NBE. While I was doing this, I came across some very interesting facts and findings. I wanted to share because I know that some of you are also interested in learning more about it. The web site is www.thetruthaboutomega3.com if any one wants to see the whole article. I posted some of the more important info here for any one interested :

What -- Exactly -- is Omega 3?
Omega 3 essential fatty acids were discovered in the 1970's, and have been studied in thousands of clinical trials. There is overwhelming evidence that they are important for good health and protecting against disease.

Unfortunately, few people understand what they are, what they do, why some sources can be harmful, and where you can find pure Omega 3.

I'll answer all of these questions below. Let's get started...

Omega 3 fatty acids are a form of polyunsaturated fat -- which is one of four types of fat that our bodies derive from food. (The other three are cholesterol, saturated fat, and monounsaturated fat.)

Omega 3 (and Omega-6 well) are called essential fatty acids ( EFAs ), because they've been shown to be essential for good health. Unfortunately, our bodies cannot manufacture these EFAs, so they must be obtained from outside sources -- from the food we eat or the supplements we take.

According to most experts, many ailments can be traced to a shortage of Omega 3 (more below).

There is absolutely no shortage of Omega 6 in the typical Western diet. In fact, just the opposite is true.

Plus, the ratio of Omega-6 to Omega 3 is important -- and because of a severe deficiency of Omega 3, this balance is seriously out of whack for most people

The optimum ratio of Omega-6 to Omega 3 is 3:1. Since Omega-6 is available in many cooking oils, over the last couple of decades this ratio is now estimated to be 20:1 -- or even as high as 50:1 -- for most Westerners!

That's why getting more pure Omega 3 has become so important.

The 3 Types of Omega 3 Fatty Acids...
There are three main types of Omega 3 fatty acids. The first two, EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexanoic acid), are both found in cold-water fish, such as salmon, tuna and mackerel. Fresh seaweed is the only plant food that contains much EPA or DHA.

The third type of Omega 3, called ALA (alpha-linolenic acid), is found in flaxseed oils, dark green leafy vegetables, and some vegetable oils.

Although it is possible to get DHA and EPA from plant seed oils such as flaxseeds, you may in fact not actually be getting these valuable substances -- even if you take flax seed oil every day!

This is due to one important biological fact, which is...

The Omega 3's in flaxseed oil and other plant oils do not contain DHA and EPA, although they contain the precursor to DHA and EPA in the form of alpha linolenic acid (ALA).

In order for your heart and brain to get the benefit of DHA and EPA your body must be capable of converting the ALA to DHA and EPA. Sadly, unless all your organs are functioning smoothly, this conversion more than likely will not happen. This is very much the case for elderly people or anyone whose health is a little suspect.

Even if your body is in peak condition, you will only convert less than 20% of the ALA to these important substances.

So, the only way to ensure that you get the benefits of DHA and EPA is to take it directly in the form of fish oil.

A very personal note: I have been a vegetarian for 29 years -- and I haven't eaten any fish for the past seven years (and still don't). Nonetheless, because of the information I learned about Omega 3 that I'm sharing with you here, I have been personally taking the purest fish oil I'm recommending on this site since I learned about it over a year ago.

Don't Confuse Cod Liver Oil With Fish Oil...
Cod liver oil is (fortunately) very different than the fish oil I'm talking about here.

Cod liver oil comes from the liver, whereas fish oil comes from the body of the fish. Cod liver oil is very high in Vitamin A -- and if you take it, you should be very careful to do so in limited quantities since it is very easy to overdose in Vitamin A (with possible negative implications for your bones).

Not to mention... cod liver oil smells and tastes awful -- whereas the fish oil I'm talking about doesn't have these properties. :-)

What Are the Benefits of Omega 3?
There is an enormous amount of research that now shows that Omega 3 benefits health and helps prevent disease. Here is a sample of some of the main benefits:

Cardiovascular benefits

Brain function

Allergies

Skin disorders and skin health

Arthritis and gout

Diabetes

Immune system and cancer

Women's benefits

Visual function

Inflammatory bowel disease

These benefits are not anecdotal, but rather are substantiated by reputable clinical studies. You can click on any of the above links to learn more about the benefits.

The Risks of Taking Fish Oil Supplements
In spite of the importance of adding Omega 3 to our diets, until recently, there were significant risks associated with taking fish oil supplements.

This is because fish oils that haven't been molecularly distilled contained high levels of dangerous contaminants. This is especially true for fish harvested in the North Atlantic Ocean and farmed salmon.

Even the North Atlantic around the Artic circle is notorious for producing fish that have high levels of heavy metals, such as mercury, as well as PCB's and dioxin.

These risks still exist today... in most fish oil supplements.

Plus, most fish oil on the market today is actually a mixture of all types of fish from all around the world -- and many, unfortunately, come from polluted waters.

Now, molecular distillation by a competent manufacturer should remove these contaminants. Nonetheless, it is still desirable to start the process with the least contaminated fish possible.

*So if nothing else make sure if you take it you buy a very pure form of it if you plan on using it. I will do more digging to see if it can improve anything NBE wise and post here if I find something Smile

~Keep playin those "records" girls! ~
~Best wishes on a growing journey!~
*Sunset*

Respond to this message
Author Reply

Jess
(Login Jess1226)
Re: Fish oil/Omega 3 info
April 1 2006, 2:51 AM

Thanks Sunset, Do recomend a Brand name fish oil that is pure? Or to look for somthing speacial on the lable? Thanks a bunch

Boobie Blessing to everyone!
Love,
Jess

Surf
(Login Surf.)
EVE MEMBERS
April 1 2006, 2:00 PM

Sunset - Thank you for doing the Omega 6/3 research and providing it to us! I ALWAYS LEARN SO MUCH FROM YOU! You are wonderful for spending your time helping others.

Growing boobies blessings to Sunset!

Sunset
(no login)
Smile
April 1 2006, 5:12 PM

Im glad I could help, so your both welcome! The web site I got the info from sells some of it and its supposed to be very pure, so you could check it out maybe? The adress is mentioned in my first post up at the top.

Also, I have seen fish oil and on the lable it says "purified" fish oil. Maybe thats something you want to look for?

I havent done a whole lot of study in depth on it, so I have no "brand" to really recomend, but I guess you want fish oil from fish that live in very pure water to avoid possible toxins. I'm not sure how to tell from just the lable other than it stating its "purified". Sorry I cant help more on that one. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Amanda S
(Login Amanda S)
EVE MEMBERS
April 1 2006, 11:53 PM

Although there's a lot of talk about omega-6, I think we need omega-3 more, because oemega-6 is more present in our daily diets anyway.

Flaxseed or Omega 3,6,9?????
April 9 2008 at 8:38 PM Kekie (Login Kekie)

I posted this in the wrong section so I am reposting here...What is better for boobie growth flaxseed or omega 3.6.9? Isn't the 3,6,9 more balanced because fs is only rich in 3 and 6 and you need to supplement 9? read the info on the herb page and a little confused need some clarification please HELP!!!

may
(Login Cselestyna)
Re: Flaxseed or Omega 3,6,9?????
April 9 2008, 9:18 PM

they are both really good for you, flaxseed may not have as many omegas but it is rich in phytoestrogens.

soy porducts are also VERY high in phytoestrogens (plus soy helps fight breast cancer! woot whoot!)

which is probably why those girls who consumed lots of soy while doing N.B.E saw results. the only problem is finding enough (easy) recipes to make it with! lol

as for omegas, just get a supplememnt that contains all three, even if flax doesn't contain all three , its still very good for your digestive sytem and you health in general.

just a note. phytoestrgens, ALL of them, can work FOR or AGAINST your boobies. depending on your body they can block estrogen receptors or work with them.

i have read this on about thirty different sites, so i'm pretty sure its true, so if you aren't growing, that could be why. it could be time to amp up on something else, but don't jump to that conclusion until you've tried them for at least a half year or more ongoing.

hope this helps!
blessed be!

Durga
(Login durga)
April 9 2008, 9:25 PM

Kekie,

Waxingmoon made a post not too long ago that is very helpful regarding the ratios of Omegs 3,6 and 9's, entitled "Evening Primrose and Other essential Fatty Acids"

Here's the link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/371678/me...atty+Acids

Best to you,
Durga

Durga
(Login durga)
April 9 2008, 9:30 PM

Also, I've found it difficult to find a product that contains a good balance of all three. I am currently taking borage, evening primrose and flax oils, and also trying to consume DHA rich foods like Salmon once or twice a week.

Peace,
Durga

Zuri
(no login)
April 25 2008, 10:42 PM

I ve found a good article containing info on flax seeds and Omega-3 in general and thought I should post it here:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=81

I found this particularly interesting:

"Flaxseeds are rich in alpha linolenic acid (ALA), an omega-3 fat that is a precursor to the form of omega-3 found in fish oils called eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA. Since the fats are found in their isolated form in flaxseed oil, it is a more concentrated source of ALA than the seeds themselves (although it doesn't have the other nutrients that the seeds do). ALA, in addition to providing several beneficial effects of its own, can be converted in the body to EPA, thus providing EPA's beneficial effects. For this conversion to readily take place, however, depends on the presence and activity of an enzyme called delta-6-destaurase, which, in some individuals, is less available or less active than in others. In addition, delta-6-desaturase function is inhibited in diabetes and by the consumption of saturated fat and alcohol. For these reasons, higher amounts of ALA-rich flaxseeds or its oil must be consumed to provide the same benefits as the omega-3 fats found in the oil of cold-water fish.
Yet research indicates that for those who do not eat fish or wish to take fish oil supplements, flaxseed oil does provide a good alternative."

The article also says why we should combine both Omega-3 and -6 and what is the connection between the two

Just JB
(Login UNDERGROUNDPERFORMANCE)
oils
April 26 2008, 8:20 AM

Hello Kekie

If you go to Green Bush Herb site and do a little research with word search feature. You'll find plenty of good info concerning your question.

Evening primrose and flax oils, and also trying to consume DHA rich foods all are going to healp your breasts.

JB

keyla
(Login keyla2008)
April 26 2008, 11:24 AM

What about this one?

http://organicpharmacy.org/products/Flax...SKU:FB1-pe

It contains 500 mg of Flax Seed Oil, 100 mg of borage oil and the following:
Omega-3 285 mg
Omega-6 117 mg
Omega-9 106 mg

Do you think these are good proportions?

Zuri
(no login)
April 26 2008, 7:02 PM

Sounds good to me!

What are the benefits from taking fish oil?
October 6 2007 at 1:31 AM CuteLittleBunnie (Login CuteLittleBunnie)

Is it good for you and what does fish oil do? Oh and can it increase breasts when combined with organic flaxseed oil gel pills? Thanks!

sandy
(Login sandy111)
Re: What are the benefits from taking fish oil?
October 6 2007, 12:34 PM

All oils are good for NBESmile

Suzy
(Login SuzyUK)
October 6 2007, 12:35 PM

Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA); it is very important to include these in the diet; amongst other things they help fight and prevent heart disease, cancer, depression, arthritis, diabetes, ulcers and the list goes on. Omega-3 fatty acids also help increase energy levels and the ability to concentrate; hence the government supported idea to give to schoolchildren to improve ability.

As for benefits for nbe, I have no idea, but the importance of including them in one's diet cannot be overemphasised.

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
October 6 2007, 12:41 PM

The one thing I remember about fish oil, is you need to watch what you get, because the oil can go rancid, which then doesn't help your body at all. I think the way I read to test it, is to open a capsule up and taste it. If its good it shouldn't taste too horrible. I'll have to see if I can find that info., but I don't know anything else about it.

sophie
(Login sophie9)
October 6 2007, 6:11 PM

I am on a super heavy dose of fish oil right now, recommended by the naturopath/MD I am seeing. I really went because I had a stress response from having had pneumonia in the spring. But after talking, I realized the stress response and the problems I am experiencing are related to my hormones (adrenal problems). And those adrenal problems I think have caused my body to create more testosterone than normally. Well...anyways...this is what she told me:

Fish Oil is a good source of good cholesterol, and choleterol helps support all hormone functioning. So without good cholesterol in your diet, you are prone to experience a hormone imbalance, and if you have one, taking it will help regulate your hormone activities, and if you try to live a healthy lifestyle, your hormones can help balance themselves. So that is why I am taking it.

It also gets rid of inflammation. I am guessing...but I think when you are under stress, you are prone to inflammation. And stress ages us. That quack Dr. Perricone (while some of what he says is logical and makes sense, he's trying to profit off of common sense and sells ridiculous skincare products, so I guess he isn't quite a quack, though he did lie about attending Yale medical school; he did a residency there) recommends fish oil supplements as well as a diet high in omega threes from sources like salmon, sardines, and other oily fish.

I have been doing this fish oil thing for four days (this is the fifth) and wow! I notice a HUGE difference in my skin! So there must be something to it. And I have been able to sleep more normally. I went there complaining of chronic insomnia. It's crazy how it has worked. But seriously, my skin looks amazing and I haven't done anything differently. I have really nice skin already, but I have the beginning of a line by my mouth, and I actually noticed you can't really see it now. Isn't that strange? Inflammation apparently is a big cause of aging both externally and internally. I also have respiratory problems, which are due to inflammation, and she said the fish oil will help with that as well. So far, I have to say - it is CRAZY how it is working for me.

Henri is totally right though about quality and the fact that it can go rancid. My doctor asked me which brand I already had (had not been taking it), and she said not to take it. She said she had one patient who was using a brand that said they used wild caught salmon. And she said the problem with that is that wild caught salmon have high mercury content. I went to Whole Foods to get the brand she recommended, and the guy who helped me find it just so happened to have worked for their company. And he said he worked for them because he was impressed by their ethic and quality. The brand I have is called "Nordic Naturals." It is 3rd party and they are very particular in testing so that their product is free of heavy metals, dioxins, and PCBs. So that's what I have to say about Fish Oil! So far so good! My skin looks great in such a short time - an added perk!

artlady
(Login artlady)
to Sophie
October 6 2007, 6:28 PM

Sophie, I found Nordic Naturals and would like to try their fish oil. I notice they have many kinds, like omega-3 or 3-6-9, capsules, drops etc. What did you use?

sophie
(Login sophie9)
October 6 2007, 6:41 PM

hi artlady...i like your name! At the store I was at, they only had the regular Omega 3 and the Complete Omega 3-6-9. The guy at the atore who said he worked for them was kinda cute and we were being sort of flirty and he said, "the ladies seem to like this one." So I got the one "the ladies" like! I'll mention this here, but I mentioned Fish oil on bonette's post about stress and added more. I simply am amazed. I am on this to support my hormone functioning so that it can be in working order for when I get my test results back and we see what I need to do. But I have PMS for the first time since before starting birth control 5 years ago. I NEVER have pms while on birth control. I don't know if it is related, but it does seem to me like something is going on hormonally with me that does not normally. But it also has a lemon scent, so you don't gag while taking them. And by the way - just thought i'd mention - the naturopath recommended I take more than the recommended dose. I don't recommend anyone does that. They are 1000 mg. pills, and you are supposed to take two daily. I take 4 daily.

artlady
(Login artlady)
to sophie
October 6 2007, 10:45 PM

Hi, you never mentioned specifically which one you're on: regular omega 3 or Complete omega 3-6-9. Can you tell me? Thanks.

sophie
(Login sophie9)
October 7 2007, 12:08 AM

oh sorry...i didn't! i take the 3-6-9.

wahaika/waxingmoon
August 12 2009 at 10:02 PM mommcafee (Login mommcafee)

The american diet is considered at an excess of omega 6 compared to omega 3, does this mean adding EPO/borage is a bad idea? This excess of 6/3, is supposed to contribute to breast CA in some studies.

I once took a borage/fish/flax casule supplement to ensure I was getting both, but it turned me green, blech!I am not sure which ingredient upset my stomach, so I am scared to look for an omega 3 supplement, any suggestions?

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
Re: wahaika/waxingmoon
August 13 2009, 1:56 AM

Hi Mommcafee,

You raise a good question regarding the ratio of Omega6 and Omega3 Fatty Acids.

Here is what I understand about this issue.

Both Borage oil and EPO provide Omega 6 Fatty Acids and if you are going to supplement with this you need to supplement Omega 3.

You are absolutely right that we already get an over abundance of Omega 6 Fatty acids in our diet. This can lead to health problems one of which is heart disease. The suggested ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 should never be more than 4:1 (Omega 6 4 times more than Omega 3) Our standard diet makes the ration more like 25:1 (way too much Omega 6). It would be better if we had them at a 1:1 ratio or even a 1:2 ratio (meaning more Omega 3 than Omega 6). Omega 3 Fatty acids promote hormone building, heart health, reduced inflammation and quite a few other things as well.

You can get a good source of Omega 3 Fatty acids from cold water fish (salmon, mackrel, sardines, etc) - but if you don't eat a lot of fish you can use fish oil supplements. Another source of Omega 3 is found in Flaxseed oil.

However, I have recently run across data stating that a good goal for the essential fatty acids is 1.5 grams per day of both Omega 3 and Omega 6. You should also have a goal of getting 1.25 grams per day of EPA and DHA (you get this from fish sources of Omega 3 but not the flaxseed sources).

Here is a great link to a very well written and accurate article about Essential Fatty acids:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/efa.htm

There is a lot to this article and it gets a little scientific at times, but it is great info.

Hope this has shed some light. I am always glad to answer what I can.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

mommcafee
(no login)
August 13 2009, 2:13 AM

Thank you, that was really informative.

The only type of supplement like this I have taken is one containing all 3 (borage/flax/fish). Any idea which one was most likely the nasty one in those ingredients? I want an omg3, but its no good if I cant tolerate it.

ANy ideas? please?

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
August 13 2009, 2:50 PM

Hi Mommcafee,

The offending item may very well be the fish oil.

The taste/smell of oils is quite a variable depending on the manufacturer. Some fish oils will make you gag while others have no taste/smell at all. I have found that the more 'Name Brand' manufacturers versus 'store brands' have a better quality.

If you want to take Borage or EPO I suggest taking them as a separate pill from the Omgea 3 (fish or flaxseed). This is because you will want to take more of the Omega 3 to balance out the over abundance of the Omega 6 (regular diet plus Borage/EPO).

The best Omega 3 in my opinion is fish oil because it also supplies EPA and DHA which are so important in overall health. I do use Flaxseed, but as a crushed seed, not the oil. I do this because the crushed flaxseed is an incredible source of lignans - the low dose phytoestrogen that helps to balance out my estrogen dominance.

Try another brand of fish oil and you will probably find it tolerable. Also, take it with food (but don't chew it... ewwww) and you will find any taste/smell is masked.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon