Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Saw palmetto anti-estrogenic?

Saw palmetto anti-estrogenic??? wft?!
March 10 2007 at 11:57 AM Moon (Login -Moon-)

I keep reading that saw palmetto besides blocking conversion of testosterone to DHT, has anti-estrogenic actions. I'm not even going to post a link, cause just about any page says it if you google saw palmetto + estrogen. How the hell is this helping us grow our breasts? I'm so annoyed that this whole NBE thing makes less sense the more you study it!
Anyway, I didn't post this to start complaining. :p Any one of you girls have some knowledge or theory on how exactly could blockin estrogen be good for growing boobs?

sophie9
(Login sophie9)
you are right moon...pretty confusing...
March 11 2007, 12:42 AM

this was literally the first or one of the first things that came up when i googled saw palmetto and estrogen:

"How does it work in women?

One of the most troubling symptoms of women with PCOS is hirsutism (too much hair, in the wrong places). Hirsutism is thought to be mostly due to excessive levels of androgenic hormones. Examples of androgens are testosterone, androstenedione, and DHEA.

Testosterone is the main androgen we’re concerned about. It’s normal for men to have a lot of testosterone and for women to have some. In both men and women, testosterone is converted into a more potent hormone called DHT (dihydrotestosterone). DHT is the hormone in your skin that stimulates hirsutism, which is male pattern hair growth. If you can reduce DHT, you may be able to reduce hirsutism (hair growing where you don't want it) or male pattern hair loss (restoring hair where you do want it).

Saw palmetto appears to reduce DHT in three different ways:

Inhibits DHT production;
Inhibits the binding of DHT to its cell receptors;
Promotes the breakdown of DHT.
Testosterone is converted into DHT by an enzyme called 5-alpha-reductase. 5-alpha-reductase is inhibited by saw palmetto, and thus less DHT is produced and hirsutism may be reduced.

Saw palmetto may be helpful in another way. A high level of estrogen may inhibit the elimination of DHT. Some women with PCOS have estrogen levels that are too high. It is reported to have an anti-estrogenic effect, thus helping with the removal of DHT."

I suppose they are saying that too much estrogen prevents the elimination of excess testosterone? But I know I take Natureday and it contains Saw Palmetto and Fennel and Fennugreek, which are both estrogenic. So can we create DHT production by upping our estrogen? It doesn't make sense to me either. It sounds like a pretty complicated process and maybe isn't very easy to understand unless you understand hormones really well, which I don't. But I would imagine that since it is in so many nbe formulas along with estrogenic herbs, it must work somehow. People seem to have success with these sorts of combinations. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be interested as well.

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
March 11 2007, 1:09 AM

Well, I'm definitely not one of the "girls" but I'll take a stab at it.

The higher estrogen levels resulting in the lower rate of removal of DHT is probably talking about men and the removal of DHT from the prostate gland. High estrogen levels means that the guy is probably fat (stomach above the belt) and fat makes its own estrogen through the aromatase enzyme. So fat is a testosterone magnet. Take a man with this problem and pump him full of zinc (like 80 - 100mg per day) and watch what happens. Zinc is an aromatase inhibitor at those levels. The testosterone will not be used to maintain and create fat. There will be a weight loss and a rise in libido due to the higher levels of free testosterone. Wild oats can also be used because it binds SHBG. Stinging nettle is another one that is helpful for freeing up steroid hormones by binding SHBG.

The search results on Google don't seem to hold up when you go to the sites and start reading. But, a few years ago I saw the same claims about fenugreek for a short time. It did not make sense except for one area, and that is stalling estrogen using fenugreek. As I remember, the dosage amounts used in the studies, or whatever, confirmed it. It was not fenugreek that was lowering estrogen levels, per se, but it was the usage of it in such a way that it invoked the negative feedback response in the endocrine system.

Anyone remember prettysoulful? Guess what she used to grow on. Fenugreek and Saw Palmetto and pretty much nothing else.

Here are some more quotes from that same google search:

"Multiple mechanisms of action have been proposed, and saw palmetto appears to possess 5-α-reductase inhibitory activity (thereby preventing the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone). Hormonal/estrogenic effects have also been reported, as well as direct inhibitory effects on androgen receptors and anti-inflammatory properties."
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drugi...metto.html

"Saw Palmetto lowers cytosol and nuclear receptor values for estrogen, which result in an anti-estrogen effect. (DiSilverio, 1992) Thus by blocking nuclear receptor sites, the bodies own natural estrogen provides the augmentation effect of diosgenin described in (Aradhana et al, 1992). This type of natural breast augmentation is lasting and does not disappear upon discontinuance of the product." [notice the last sentence]
http://www.megabust.com/Saw_Palmetto.html

Now see what they list under "Breast Enlargement Components." Saw Palmetto is listed.
http://www.megabust.com/breast_enhanceme...ients.html

Saw Palmetto, Stinging Nettle Root, Wild Oats are all good for freeing up testosterone so it can be converted to estrogen by keeping it from binding to 5 alpha reductase to form DHT, and Sex Hormone Binding Globulin which binds it thus keeping it from being free to bind with something else.

Probably more than was necessary, but it is meant to give the big picture.

BTW, weight lifters use Saw Palmetto very cautiously because of - guess what effect? Gynocomastia.

Wahaika

Corrie
(Login Corrie73)
Re: Saw palmetto anti-estrogenic??? wft?!
March 11 2007, 1:41 AM

I think that all of my growth has been due to primarily saw palmetto and fenugreek. Unfortunately, they are also making me fat, but that's a topic for another thread. So, really, I don't think that saw palmetto works against NBE in any way. Also, I didn't start out 'less than a B cup,' which is when you are supposed to use saw palmetto. I was right at a medium B cup when I started, and I think SP has still been a huge help.

Good luck to all.

Laura
(no login)
March 11 2007, 11:30 AM

Excelllent info from everyone, I swear by saw palmetto, only two months on it and it gave me great fullness, and was helping my smaller boob.
I just would like to know does it cause problems with periods, I had the heavy bleed, and someone else reported this.
I have lost the dullness since stopping it.
I was taking 540mg three times a day. of course the heavy bleed may have had nothing to do with it. but I need to know more about SP before starting again.
I agree that SP and fenegreek are the boobie boosters.

Laura
(no login)
March 11 2007, 12:55 PM

sorry, meant to say lost the fullness not the dullness lol

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
March 11 2007, 1:21 PM

Lol, sorry for the sexist remark Wahaika. Big Grin Great info as always. I read all these pages myself too, but I found this quote kindof ambiguous:

"Saw Palmetto lowers cytosol and nuclear receptor values for estrogen, which result in an anti-estrogen effect. (DiSilverio, 1992) Thus by blocking nuclear receptor sites, the bodies own natural estrogen provides the augmentation effect of diosgenin described in (Aradhana et al, 1992).

What exactly is lowering nuclear receptor values? As I understand it, making the response on binding weaker? If so, this means that the concentration of hormone and receptors stays the same, only the the effects are lesser. I fail to see how this can cause breast augumentation...

The testosterone and DHT actions are all very logical to me to cause breast growth. But lessenign effects of estrogen? And I also don't see the correlation between both actions. I'll read on it some more lter when I have time...

This message has been edited by -Moon- on Mar 11, 2007 8:58 PM

jennie
(no login)
re. heavy bleeding on saw palmetto
March 11 2007, 5:22 PM

i began taking the saw palmetto extract this month and was pleased with the fullness i experienced as well; however i am on my period at present and it is much heavier than usual...not so sure what to do either. guess i can't tolerate saw palmetto either...kinda disappointing...

Kate
(Login Teresina)
March 12 2007, 4:12 AM

Wahaika, what do you think saw palmetto would do if applied topically?

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
March 12 2007, 5:32 AM

Topically, absolutely nothing. It is not a phytoestrogen. But as always there is an exception to the rule that I have only seen one time. A woman using BO internally at about the 2100 to 2400 mg/day level used SP topically and it seemed to work for her. I have never seen it work for anyone since that time.

Kate
(Login Teresina)
March 12 2007, 1:37 PM

Thanks, Wahaika. I used to inadvertently apply SP during massage because all I had on hand was some of Greenbush's Enhancement extract. Those bottles are gone now and I've switched, but I wanted to make sure it couldn't potentially cause problems when used in this manner.

This message has been edited by Teresina on Mar 12, 2007 1:38 PM

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
March 13 2007, 9:11 AM

This is some other info I've found that brins a little light on the subject:

Uses based on tradition or theory:
Acne, aphrodisiac, asthma, bladder inflammation, breast feeding, *BREAST ENLAGEMENTt or REDUCTION*, bronchitis, cancer, cough, cystitis, diabetes, digestive aid, diarrhea, diuretic, dysentery, enhancing physical performance, Epstein-Barr virus, excess hair growth, expectorant, high blood pressure, *HORMONE IMBALANCES* (estrogen or testosterone), immune stimulation, impotence, indigestion, inflammation, lactation stimulation, laryngitis, libido, menstrual pain, migraine headache, muscle or intestinal spasms, ovarian cysts, polycystic ovarian syndrome, postnasal drip, prostate cancer, reproductive organ problems, sedation, sexual vigor, sore throat, sperm production, testicular atrophy, upper respiratory tract infection, urethritis, urinary antiseptic, uterine or vaginal disorders.

Saw palmetto may have effects on the body's response to the sex hormones estrogen and testosterone, but no specific effect has been well demonstrated in humans.

Because saw palmetto may have activity on the body's response to estrogen, the effects of other agents believed to have estrogen-like properties may be altered.

Saw palmetto berries contain free fatty acids and plant sterol compounds described as phytosterols or sitosterols, especially beta-sitos-terol and some related chemicals. These ingredients appear to modify estrogen receptors and block the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a more active chemical.

Hormonal disorders - Although saw palmetto is generally considered to be a man's herb, given its probable estrogenic action saw palmetto is also a useful herbal remedy for women. Saw palmetto is prescribed for impotence, reduced or absent sex drive, and testicular atrophy in men, and in women has been given to stimulate breast enlargement.

In 1885, Dr. Hale, an American homeopath, observed that during the summer when food was scarce, wild animals ate raw saw palmetto berries and rapidly regained weight. In the 19th century, another American homeopath claimed that if eaten regularly the berries could increase the weight and size of the breasts.
In women, the remedy is helpful for mastitis (inflammation of breast tissue), which may occur from breast-feeding, and for pain and tenderness of swollen breasts before menstruation. It is also given for breasts that become small and shrunken due to a hormonal imbalance.

As the early settlers discovered, saw palmetto is a tonic which builds and restores body tissue. The sterols have an anabolic action, which helps to build and maintain weight, so can usefully be given to those who are convalescing or have lost weight through illness or debility. In the reproductive system it has useful applications for both men and women. In men it is given to enhance the sex drive and to treat impotence and infertility. In women it is thought to have an estrogenic action and can be used where this is a cause of disorder in the reproductive system.

SP inhibits both androgenic and estrogenic receptors and helps both men and women to balance hormones.

Women use SP herb to stimulate breast enlagement.

In test tubes, saw palmetto also inhibits the actions of growth factors and inflammatory substances that may contribute to benign prostatic hyperplasia (quoting because of inhibition of growth factors!!)

Contrary to some opinions, saw palmetto does not have an estrogen-like effect in men’s bodies.

Saw Palmetto's property of being an anti-androgen allows the estrogen in the body to become more dominant and exert its full power. Saw Palmetto does not increase the amount of natural estrogen, thus no increase incidence of breast cancer can be expected.

In the absence of endogenous estrogens or in an estrogen-deficient state, phytoestrogens bind to the estrogen receptors and increase estrogen activity. However, when endogenous estrogen levels are high, the phytoestrogens compete with endogenous estrogens for the estrogen receptor binding site and cause an overall decrease in estrogen activity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aaah, still confusing. Estrogenic, anti-estrogenic, can enlange breasts.

Btw, good site for herb info - http://www.herbs2000.com/index.htm

Alcest
(Login Alcest)
March 14 2007, 4:13 AM

^^^^^Moon your comment wasn't sexist at all, you shouldn't have to apologize.

I always get the most tingles and pains from saw palmetto. So far I haven't really grown but the pains must mean something is happening. The explainations help a little bit, though for someone who is completely left brained all the medical terms seem to go in one ear and right out the other. =)

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
March 14 2007, 9:51 AM

Lol, I know Alcest, I was half joking. Big Grin

NBE is really weird. We achieve breat growth by inhibiting estrogen. I mean, the herbs we take are weaker than our own estrogen, and it has been shown that introducing estradiol didn't cause breast growth at all. Baah...

MyJourney
(Login Myjourney)
Different for men & women?
March 15 2007, 10:36 PM

Does the SP have a different effect on men than women? I am trying hard to make sense of the hormones too. It seems like the herbs do different things to the genders? or am I mixed up on that thought?

Marlene
(Login Marlene)
Re: Different for men & women?
March 16 2007, 12:36 AM

Yes saw palmetto can affect you differently, depending on whether you are a man or a woman.

Different hormonal profile means different effects.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon