Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Retaining water

Retaining water
July 20 2009 at 8:05 PM milani (Login millanii)
Hi, does anyone know why we retain water at certain times and if there is anything you can do to reduce this?

Milani

Lizzie
(Login LittleLizzie)
Re: Retaining water
July 20 2009, 8:44 PM

Hey Milani

I was looking into this not so long ago as I was suffering. Below is an amalgamation of two articles, links to which are at the bottom.

What Causes Premenstrual Fluid Retention And Edema?

Women have an increased risk of water retention and temporary weight gain during the run-up to a period, due to the rise and fall of hormone levels. Hormones alone, or in combination with other body chemicals, can cause edema due to increased fluid retention. Exactly how do these hormones cause premenstrual water retention? The answer is, we don't know.
Some experts believe that the reduction in progesterone, in the week before menstruation, leads to more progesterone being broken down which signals the kidneys to retain water and sodium. As well as this, a water-retaining compound (an anti-diuretic hormone) may be secreted, which causes more water to be retained.
Other experts believe that PMS water retention is due to fluctuations in blood sugar. For example, when someone does not eat for many hours, blood sugar levels typically fall very low. This causes the body to secrete adrenaline, which tells the body to release stored sugar from cells in order to normalize the level of sugar in the bloodstream. However, when sugar is removed from the cells, they fill up with water, causing (it is believed) weight gain, bloating and water retention symptoms in premenstrual women. The point is, women with PMS tend to release adrenaline a lot sooner than do women at other stages of the menstrual cycle.

How To Reduce Premenstrual Fluid Retention
For patients who regularly suffer from cyclic water retention in the week before menstruation, dieticians and doctors usually recommend the following:

• Limit sodium intake to 1000 milligrams a day. Focus on eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and avoid processed foods, including table salt.
• Aim to get 1200-1350 milligrams of calcium each day. More evidence is emerging that higher-than-average calcium intakes help to reduce water retention and edema.
• Eat small meals at regular intervals, no longer than 3 hours. Choose plenty of wholegrain carbohydrates (eg. bread, crackers, pasta, rice) to maintain adequate blood sugar levels and prevent cells from being depleted of sugar and refilled with water.
• Drink plenty of fluids. Water, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice, herb teas and vegetable juices are best.
• Enjoy plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, such as melon, grapefruit, bananas, leafy greens and tomatoes.
• Exercise. When PMS strikes, fight the urge to sit around in your sweats and watch chick flicks. Women who exercise generally report fewer PMS symptoms.

Medications
If you can't control premenstrual water retention with lifestyle changes alone, non-prescription and prescription medications can help:

• Diuretics. The most effective medicine for water retention is usually a diuretic. Sometimes called water pills, these medications help rid your body of sodium and water by making your kidneys excrete more sodium in urine. They are available in over-the-counter formulations, such as pamabrom (Aquaban), or stronger prescription pills. But long-term use of these fluid reducers can cause electrolyte abnormalities or even kidney damage.
• Over-the-counter PMS treatments. These medicines (Midol, Pamprin) usually contain some combination of mild diuretics, pain relievers, antihistamines and caffeine. So they can treat a range of PMS symptoms. However, if your main symptom is water retention, you may not need all of the active ingredients in these medications.
• Over-the-counter pain relievers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen (Aleve), may alleviate physical symptoms that occur with PMS. If you experience abdominal cramps along with bloating, acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) also may help.
• Birth control pill (oral contraceptive). If you have severe water retention and cramping, your doctor may recommend a low-dose oral contraceptive. These medicines prevent ovulation, which can reduce the physical symptoms of PMS.
• The best medication for you depends on a range of factors, including the severity of your symptoms and your desire to become pregnant.

Natural remedies
Countless vitamins, minerals and herbs have been touted as a cure for PMS symptoms. The following remedies have proved to reduce water retention in scientific studies:

• Calcium. Studies show that taking 1,200 milligrams (mg) of calcium a day may reduce water retention, cramps and other physical symptoms of PMS.
• Magnesium. A dose of 200 mg to 400 mg of magnesium each day has shown some benefit to alleviate bloating.
• Natural diuretics. Some herbs — including dandelion, ginger and juniper — act as a natural diuretic because they make you urinate more. However, natural diuretics have only a modest effect, compared with conventional medications.

http://www.annecollins.com/weight_health...on-pms.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water-r...on/WO00130

I hope this helps Smile

Lizzie x

milani
(Login millanii)
July 20 2009, 11:17 PM

hi brilliant info thanks! Is that just refering to water retention in general tho? i was wondering why it would happen in breasts? as i was measuring bigger before so some of it must of been water retention.

Little Lizzie
(Login LittleLizzie)
July 21 2009, 2:34 PM

Hey Milani

Yes, the above is referring to water retention in general. I wasn’t aware that you could retain water in the breasts… I’d always just put it down to luteal swelling. However… I googled ‘water retention breasts’ and found two conflicting bits of information:

“No one has pinned down the exact cause of monthly breast pain. Many doctors believe that it's caused by excess female hormones—too much estrogen, progesterone or prolactin. An imbalance in these hormones is another possibility. In any case, the monthly change in hormones causes fluid retention in the breasts, which makes them feel swollen and tender.”

and

“During the menstrual cycle, estrogen production increases and peaks just prior to midcycle. This causes enlargement of the breast ducts. Premenstrually, progesterone peaks near the 21st day (in a 28-day cycle) and causes growth of the breast lobules (milk glands).”

So, I’m not entirely sure whether the ‘experts’ put breast swelling down to water retention or enlargement of breast ducts/lobules. And, this might not apply if you're not in the luteal phase..?

These sites are the ones I looked at (they all give tips on how to prevent/reduce the swelling):

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Informatio...reast1.htm

http://healthguide.howstuffworks.com/bre...ionary.htm

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/womenshealth/a/PMS.htm

Sorry if that still doesn’t get to the root of your question. And I hope I haven’t confused you… to be honest, I think I am a bit confused myself.

Hopefully bumping this up will bring it to the attention of some more knowledgeable NBE-ers who can help.

Lizzie x

Having said all that, it could be due to measuring at a different time of day or taking a different measurement just after massaging or something like that which has given the fluctuations. Might something like that have messed with your results?

milani
(Login millanii)
July 21 2009, 7:11 PM

Thanks Lizzie thats great Smile i'll try some of those tips.I dont think its due to the measuring because i do feel swollen sometimes too and i look quite swollen in my pics lol. Still seems odd that our breasts would hold fluids but im not even gonna attempt to try understand my body lol

Milani x

tattoolady
(Login nikkapotamus)
July 21 2009, 7:44 PM

that happened to me :c/ it's SO discouraging when you swell then lose it.
i was reading in the noogleberry forum about how it works... for noogleberry, the idea is that you swell first, then eventually tissue grows in its place. and i can see how that would be the case for herbs as well.

Lizzie
(Login LittleLizzie)
July 23 2009, 12:10 PM

Hope you manage to sort out the swelling… I didn’t think it would be due to your measurements not being accurate – you have been doing this for long enough to have something like that nailed Smile

Do you take BCP? I never suffered with premenstrual swelling until I started taking the pill…

I reckon tattoolady has a point, perhaps the swelling is making more room for the tissue which will grow into place. Here’s hoping!

Lizzie x

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon