Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

[archive] Cortisol deficiency

Cortisol definiceny?
May 11 2008 at 2:37 AM Joey  (no login)
What would be something to take for cortisol or adrenal deficiency. Apparently I have that and I am not sure what to do about it.

I went and looked up the symptoms and I have bascially every single one of them too a T.

Any suggestions?

I am also estrogne dominant I believe, because of love progesterone levels...? I can't remember how it went.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
Re: Cortisol definiceny?
May 11 2008, 5:03 PM

Hi Joey,
The body uses progesterone to make cortisol, so if you are low in progesterone you can easily develop low cortisol, especially if you are under stressful conditions.

Check out the book by Dr John Lee "What your doctor may not tell you about pre-menopause" - ignore the title - this book is chocked full of information about estrogen dominance and how to supplement progesterone.

Also - if you are just using an online questionaire to come up with your diagnosis - go at least one step more and get saliva testing. You can purchase these tests online (John Lee's website sells them, as do others) (no, I don't get any kickback from Dr Lee... lol). Or better yet, get a complete workup by your doctor.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

LaIslaBonita
(no login)
May 11 2008, 8:46 PM

Try Maca! I did several tests (hormone test by John Lee, the bodytype test) It said I was cortisol deficient too. I looked everything up on the internet, and the supplement Maca is the only one I could find that would improve cortisol levels (the adrenal gland) among other things. It balances your hormones-and might spice up your sexlife-if you need that lol. You can google it, there are many brands.

joey
(Login Joeykk)
May 11 2008, 10:42 PM

awesome... thank you so much for the info guys. i will definitely check out that book waxingmoon. I appreciate it.

joey
(Login Joeykk)
May 12 2008, 1:14 AM

Waxingmoon, I've read on some of your posts, and I think on your program page that you have a problem with cortisol deficieny and/or adrenal fatigue. What did you do to better your situation with that? Herbs? Meds? etc?

joey
(Login Joeykk)
May 12 2008, 2:05 AM

Waxingmoon, what chapters in the book would you recommend? I got the book online, full thing, but it's a pretty long read, and I don't know if there are some parts that just aren't worth reading... So do you have any advice?

You seem like you know what to do about trying NBE for being under incredible amounts of stress. I am currently very stressed, probably will be for a while, so I feel as though you are the best person to ask for advice.

Thanks so much for your previous responses and your advice.

Joey

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
May 12 2008, 9:03 PM

Hi Joey,
As far as the book, the first part that goes into details about estrogen dominance is very important. Then the book talks about lots of other issues. I would say the best thing to do is start reading then when you get bored with it skip around and find something interesting. If it rings some bells as far as your symptoms then read more. I read the whole book, but I skipped around a lot, then I read it cover to cover. It really does explain some things about why I have had symptoms since I was a teenager.

As far as the cortisol deficiency... I took a saliva test (adrenal stress test) that indicated my cortisol was being released more at night than in the day (insomnia big time) and that my adrenal glands were in a failure state. I also was the poster child for estrogen dominance I found after reading Dr Lee's book. His outline was what I used to resolve both situations.

My solution was all encompassing. Organic foods, vitamin support, exercise to reduce stress and build muscles, progesterone cream, reduction of xeno-estrogens (artificial from plastics, solvents, pesticides... the book explains), positive attitude, laughter, .... it is a big list and it has taken me years to make a lot of headway, but I am feeling much better and most of my symptoms have abated.

You can do a lot to create a better state of health. Start with just one positive change at a time. When that seems routine, then make another small change... eventually you will have transformed your life and your health.

Good luck with your progress. I would love to hear how you are doing,

waxingmoon

Betty
(no login)
May 14 2008, 6:37 AM

I'm thinking that if you have a cortisol deficiency the body should make it from progesterone.

This is not a good thing as it effectively increases the estrogen dominance and in addition cortisol is now unopposed by adequate progesterone.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon