Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Saw palmetto an estrogen blocker

Saw palmetto an estrogen blocker
September 13 2009 at 9:52 PM CousinRose (Login CousinRose)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was reading older threads and read that saw palmetto is also an estrogen blocker. I googled it and saw quite a few information stating the same. Maybe this is common knowledge but I had no idea.

I googled some of the other androgen blockers (nettle, pygeum and pumpkinseed oil) but there were less information on them and less clear but nettle was sometimes rumoured to be an estrogen blocker as well.

I want to try taking androgen blockers since I have some symptoms of high androgens but don't need to lower my estrogen. Does anyone know an androgen blocker that is definitly not an estrogen blocker as well?

Hopeful
(Login hopefulgurl)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Saw palmetto an estrogen blocker September 14 2009, 2:49 AM

I was completely unaware of this... How about Spearmint tea? I read that it blocks androgens and read in a few places that it may increase estrogen. Im not sure if you are looking for something that doesnt affect estrogen at all?

Hopeful
(Login hopefulgurl)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Saw palmetto an estrogen blocker September 14 2009, 2:52 AM

Here is a link to a study:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/114124091/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Hope this helps Smile

CousinRose
(Login CousinRose) Re: Saw palmetto an estrogen blocker September 14 2009, 11:54 AM

Thank you so much hopeful Smile I couldn't open the link but went to the beginning page and found the article. I am personally trying to find something that doesn't affect my estrogen levels but am planning on trying some of the anti androgen herbs and if the spearmint is better/worse than the others I will know why!

cindy
(no login) Re: Saw palmetto an estrogen blocker September 19 2009, 6:31 AM

Plant estrogens also block androgens. Saw palmetto is also a dht inhibitor. Plants estrogens modeulate androgens and estrogens.

cin

S.B.
(Login ShyBoobs)
SENIOR MEMBER My thoughts exactly... September 19 2009, 5:01 PM

cindy, thank you. I was just thinkin' the same thing. Plant estrogens all block the real (more potent) estrogens in our body. That's why they're shown to help protect against breast/ovarian cancer. Tongue

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon