Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Hormonal test Results! Thoughts Needed!

Information 

Hi everyone.
I would like to have your help and thoughts on my hormonal test results to better understand them and to improve my program.

Hormone || Result || Reference Values

T3 || 1.40 ng/mL || 0.82 - 1.79
T4 free || 1.23 ng/dL || 0.80 - 1.90
TSH || 2.799 mU/L || 0.400 -4.000
Prolactin || 20.4 ng/mL || 3.1 - 25.0
FSH || 5.2 mUI/mL || follicular phase - 3.03 8.0 || ovulatory peak - 2.55 - 16.6 || luteal phase - 1.38 - 5.47
Total testosterone || 56 ng/dL || < 118
Delta-4-androtenediona || 2.39 ng/mL || 0.10 - 2.99
Estradiol || 83 || follicular phase - 20 - 160 || ovulatory peak - 34 - 400 || luteal phase - 27 - 246
Plasmatic cortisol || 12.2 || 5.0 - 25.0
DHEA-S || 79 || 29 - 781

Can you detect any imbanlance? low estrogen?

thanksSmile

(05-12-2014, 05:27 AM)Odile Wrote:  Hi everyone.
I would like to have your help and thoughts on my hormonal test results to better understand them and to improve my program.

FSH || 5.2 mUI/mL || follicular phase - 3.03 8.0 || ovulatory peak - 2.55 - 16.6 || luteal phase - 1.38 - 5.47
Estradiol || 83 || follicular phase - 20 - 160 || ovulatory peak - 34 - 400 || luteal phase - 27 - 246
DHEA-S || 79 || 29 - 781

thanksSmile

Not by much,

The increase in prolactin could be the reason for the lower E, DHEA seems a bit lower, so adding in 25 mg at first could help, which can go either way from androstenedione pathway.

Prolactin will suppress E, much like progesterone will, which I dont see (progesterone) test result.

Think about diet, ways to reintroduce E gradually back into the system.

(05-12-2014, 05:46 AM)Lotus Wrote:  
(05-12-2014, 05:27 AM)Odile Wrote:  Hi everyone.

DHEA-S || 79 || 29 - 781

thanksSmile

Not by much,

The increase in prolactin could be the reason for the lower E, DHEA seems a bit lower, so adding in 25 mg at first could help, which can go either way from androstenedione pathway.

Prolactin will suppress E, much like progesterone will, which I dont see (progesterone) test result.

Think about diet, ways to reintroduce E gradually back into the system.

Thanks for your feedback Lotus.

I was thinking in adding goat's rue but now looking at the results it doesn't seem the best as i already have high levels of prolactin.
And about taking DHEA, is because it's a precursor of estrogen? but it's a precursor of testosterone too right? so makes sense while taking DHEA to take a pro aromatase herb?
I stopped the MACA for some days cause i have lots of acne right now and i'm trying to find out the reasons for. Would going for BO promote natural production of DHEA? or would you go for a pro estrogen herbs program with these results and take DHEA?

In my diet i've already added flaxseeds and i'm massaging with flaxseed oil. i'm also drinking spearmint tee and taking pumpkin oil as an anti-testosterone.

(11-12-2014, 12:02 AM)Odile Wrote:  Thanks for your feedback Lotus.

I was thinking in adding goat's rue but now looking at the results it doesn't seem the best as i already have high levels of prolactin.
And about taking DHEA, is because it's a precursor of estrogen? but it's a precursor of testosterone too right? so makes sense while taking DHEA to take a pro aromatase herb?
I stopped the MACA for some days cause i have lots of acne right now and i'm trying to find out the reasons for. Would going for BO promote natural production of DHEA? or would you go for a pro estrogen herbs program with these results and take DHEA?

In my diet i've already added flaxseeds and i'm massaging with flaxseed oil. i'm also drinking spearmint tee and taking pumpkin oil as an anti-testosterone.

Oldie, here's what I mean about DHEA, and yes it's a precursor, I'm not a fan of BO and will not recommend it based on my own experience. I think you need to get some normalcy going on. Start with a detox, reset the receptors. Try Milk Thistle, DIM, dandelion root, etc. (check the detox threads).

I know I'll tick some people off when I say this, flaxseed inhibits aromatase, so I'd use coconut oil instead.

(11-12-2014, 12:02 AM)Odile Wrote:  Thanks for your feedback Lotus.

Oldie, here's what I mean about DHEA, and yes it's a precursor, I'm not a fan of BO and will not recommend it based on my own experience. I think you need to get some normalcy going on. Start with a detox, reset the receptors. Try Milk Thistle, DIM, dandelion root, etc. (check the detox threads).

I know I'll tick some people off when I say this, flaxseed inhibits aromatase, so I'd use coconut oil instead.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=8526]

(11-12-2014, 06:17 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Oldie, here's what I mean about DHEA, and yes it's a precursor, I'm not a fan of BO and will not recommend it based on my own experience. I think you need to get some normalcy going on. Start with a detox, reset the receptors. Try Milk Thistle, DIM, dandelion root, etc. (check the detox threads).

Why do you suggest coconut oil? i've been reading that coconut oil is a strong anti-estrogenic food?! Aside of having benefits as helping to build-up adequate fat stores and helping to produce cholesterol a precursor of sex hormones.

Ok you asked for it lol, it's the long answer, (since you like to read, enjoy). And btw, I see other good info on your tests was provided, I also advised a similar approach.

First, the reasons against Flaxseed, hey, that's how I roll, RolleyesWink

(02-05-2014, 02:26 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Lignans (Flaxseed) are phytoestrogens with estrogenic or anti-estrogenic activity. Flaxseed has the highest content of phytoestrogen, (see chart), however it also antagonizes it's estrogenic effect, and btw, so does phytoestrogens themselves.

So why doesn't flaxseed work for everyone?, well here's why: and the text is highlighted:

When plant lignans are ingested, they can be metabolized by intestinal bacteria to the enterolignans, enterodiol and enterolactone, in the intestinal lumen (4). Enterodiol can also be converted to enterolactone by intestinal bacteria. Not surprisingly, antibiotic use has been associated with lower serum enterolactone levels (5). Thus, enterolactone levels measured in serum and urine reflect the activity of intestinal bacteria in addition to dietary intake of plant lignans. Because data on the lignan content of foods are limited, serum and urinary enterolactone levels are sometimes used as markers of dietary lignan intake. A pharmacokinetic study that measured plasma and urinary levels of enterodiol and enterolactone after a single dose (0.9 mg/kg of body weight) of secoisolariciresinol, the principal lignan in flaxseed, found that at least 40% was available to the body as enterodiol and enterolactone (6). Plasma enterodiol concentrations peaked at 73 nanomoles/liter (nmol/L) an average of 15 hours after ingestion of secoisolariciresinol, and plasma enterolactone concentrations peaked at 56 nmol/L an average of 20 hours after ingestion. Thus, substantial amounts of ingested plant lignans are available to humans in the form of enterodiol and enterolactone. Considerable variation among individuals in urinary and serum enterodiol:enterolactone ratios has been observed in flaxseed feeding studies, suggesting that some individuals convert most enterodiol to enterolactone, while others convert relatively little (1). It is likely that individual differences in the metabolism of lignans, possibly due to gut microbes, influence the biological activities and health effects of these compounds.

Biological Activities

Estrogenic and Anti-Estrogenic Activities

Estrogens are signaling molecules (hormones) that exert their effects by binding to estrogen receptors within cells (see chemical structures). The estrogen-receptor complex interacts with DNA to change the expression of estrogen-responsive genes. Estrogen receptors are present in numerous tissues other than those associated with reproduction, including bone, liver, heart, and brain (7). Although phytoestrogens can also bind to estrogen receptors, their estrogenic activity is much weaker than endogenous estrogens, and they may actually block or antagonize the effects of estrogen in some tissues (8). Scientists are interested in the tissue-selective activities of phytoestrogens because anti-estrogenic effects in reproductive tissue could help reduce the risk of hormone-associated cancers (breast, uterine, ovarian, and prostate), while estrogenic effects in bone could help maintain bone density. The enterolignans, enterodiol and enterolactone, are known to have weak estrogenic activity. At present, the extent to which enterolignans exert weak estrogenic and/or anti-estrogenic effects in humans is not well understood.

Estrogen Receptor-Independent Activities

Enterolignans also have biological activities that are unrelated to their interactions with estrogen receptors. By altering the activity of enzymes involved in estrogen metabolism, lignans may change the biological activity of endogenous estrogens (9). Lignans can act as antioxidants in the test tube, but the significance of such antioxidant activity in humans is not clear because lignans are rapidly and extensively metabolized (4). Although one cross-sectional study found that a biomarker of oxidative damage was inversely associated with serum enterolactone levels in men (10), it is not clear whether this effect was related to enterolactone or other antioxidants present in lignan-rich foods.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/ph...s/#sources

Cyanogenic Glycosides

Flaxseed is increasingly being used in some food products because of its high content of alpha-linolenic acid and dietary fibre. However, flaxseed contains cyanogenic glycosides, which release toxic hydrogen cyanide in the presence of water (autohydrolysis).

(Chadha R, et al (Food Research Division, Bureau of Chemical Safety, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada), Food Addit Contam, 12: 527, 1995) Cyanogenic glycosides (linamarin, linustatin, neolinustatin) were highest in extracted flaxseed mucilage.

We conclude that up to 50 g high-alpha-linolenic acid flaxseed is palatable, safe and may be nutritionally beneficial in humans by raising n-3 fatty acids in plasma and erythrocytes and by decreasing post-prandial glucose responses. Cunnane S, et al, (University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada) Br J Nutr, 69:443, 1993)

The presence of cyanogenic glycosides and diglucosides in flaxseeds is a concern, as they may release cyanide upon hydrolysis. In addition, the polyunsaturated fatty acids may undergo thermal or auto-oxidation (rancidity) when exposed to air or high temperatures that are used in food preparation (& needed to detoxify the cyanogenic glycosides in the mucilage).

Cyanide levels produced as a result of autolysis, are below the harmful limits to humans (remember however that �??the dose maketh the poison�??). (Wanasundara P & Shahidi F, Adv Exp Med Biol, 434: 307, 1998)

Cyanogenic Glycosides in Flaxseed

By Robin J. Marles, Ph.D.

The presence of cyanogenic glycosides in the diet is significant only in relation to dose and the nutritional status of the consumer. Flax seed meal contains two cyanogenic glycosides, linustatin and neolinustatin.

Many foods are slightly cyanogenic (e.g. wheat and barley!), probably as an evolutionary adaptation to discourage herbivory, and our body has a limited capacity to detoxify low concentrations of cyanide through addition of sulphur (from amino acids) to form thiocyanate or reaction with cysteine directly to form beta-cyanoalanine.

Thus if the dietary levels of sulphur-containing amino acids are high the body can resist a low intake of cyanide, but if the diet is low in protein overall or due to imbalances in vegetable protein amino acid composition it is low in the sulphur-containing amino acids, then we see toxicity.

The two most common symptoms of chronic cyanide intoxication are goitre, probably caused by high levels of thiocyanate formation where dietary protein levels are adequate and the detoxification mechanism is operating in high gear but the body can't clear the thiocyanate product quickly enough,

And fibrocalculous pancreatic diabetes associated with protein malnutrition, where toxicity is probably directly due to cyanide because of the lack of adequate detoxification. Few of us are likely to consume significant quantities of flax seed, nor are those people consuming flax seed likely to have protein malnutrition.

Robin J. Marles, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Botany Department
Brandon University, Brandon, MB R7A 6A9 CANADA

This is an excellent site, it lists the health benefits of flaxseed too, the other half list the side effects, which is in part why I suggest coconut oil, (I'm getting there, patience lol, probably the last time you'll ask me haha.)

Flax Seed Side Effects
They say too much of anything isn't good. When it comes to flax seed, some people may experience some health concerns instead of benefits. This is why experts say that it is better to consume flax seed in small quantities rather than consuming it in large quantities. Have a look at some of the most commonly observed side effects of flax seed mentioned below.

Indigestion
Consuming too much of flax seed can cause indigestion and lead to symptoms like bloating, diarrhea, abdominal pain, flatulence and cramps. In fact, people who start consuming flax seed, and introduce it for the first time in their diet, mostly suffer from indigestion.

Obstruction in Digestive Tract
Another side effect of flax seed is that it can cause significant obstruction in the digestive tract and even the throat of a person. This happens specially in cases wherein people consume it in the powdered form. Flax seed tends to swell up when consumed and tends to get stuck in the digestive tract creating an obstruction, therefore you should consume a lot of water while consuming it to avoid this side effect.

Laxative Effects on the Body
Flax seed is known to have a laxative effect on the body as it tends to increase the bowel movements of a person which can result in diarrhea. Therefore, if you are suffering from certain intestinal problems like inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), stomach ulcers, Crohn's disease, then it is advisable not to consume flax seed.

Bleeding in the Brain
In rare cases, the use of this seed may induce bleeding in the brain. This is known as hemorrhagic stroke, clinically. The classic symptoms include changes in vision, weakness, feeling of numbness in limbs, severe headache and changes in speech.

Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Gastrointestinal bleeding may also be one of the severe side effects of flaxseed oil pills. This may be indicated by black or tarry stools. In some cases, there might be a small amount of bright red blood in the stool.

Other Blood Disorders
Consumption of flax seed also makes a person prone to suffer from blood related problems. This is why experts advice people with bleeding disorders, or people those who are consuming blood thinners, not to go for flax seed as it tends to increase blood clotting. It is also not advisable to include this in your diet if you are about to go for some dental or surgical procedure.

Allergic Reaction
Some people may suffer from hives, swelling, wheezing and trouble breathing after taking the flaxseed oil or the seed. These flaxseed side effects are a manifestation of an allergic reaction. Flaxseed is also known to slow down the process of blood clotting and hence, this increases the risk of heavy bleeding and easy bruising.

Toxicity
Don't eat raw or unripe flaxseed. Flaxseed in these forms is thought to be poisonous.

Don't use flaxseed oil to cook since the heat changes the healthy fat into toxic fat that causes harm. Instead, most people find that adding the oil to a dish that's already cooked can enhance the flavor and add many beneficial nutrients to the diet.

Pregnancy and Breast-feeding
Taking flaxseed by mouth during pregnancy is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. Flaxseed can act like the hormone estrogen. Some healthcare providers worry that this might harm the pregnancy, although to date there is no reliable clinical evidence about the effects of flaxseed on pregnancy outcomes. The effect of flaxseed on breast-fed infants is unknown at this time. Stay on the safe side, and don't use flaxseed if you are pregnant or breast-feeding.

Other Health Conditions
Apart from the aforementioned side effects, other possible side effects of consuming flax seed include, allergic reactions, changes in the menstrual cycle in women, as flax seed also affects the estrogen levels in the body causing hormonal imbalance. Some say that flax seed also triggers thyroid problems in people. Therefore, you must consult with your doctor about your individual health condition and the doses are safe to consume, if you have to consume it at all!

http://www.seedguides.info/flax-seed/

Flaxseed is a good source of dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. The fiber in flaxseed is found primarily in the seed coat. Taken before a meal, flaxseed fiber seems to make people feel less hungry, so that they might eat less food. Researchers believe this fiber binds with cholesterol in the intestine and prevents it from being absorbed. Flaxseed also seems to make platelets, the blood cells involved in clotting, less sticky. Overall, flaxseed’s effects on cholesterol and blood clotting may lower the risk of “hardening of the arteries” (atherosclerosis).

Flaxseed is sometimes tried for cancer because it is broken down by the body into chemicals called “lignans.” Lignans are similar to the female hormone estrogen - so similar, in fact, that they compete with estrogen for a part in certain chemical reactions. As a result, natural estrogens seem to become less powerful in the body. Some researchers believe that lignans may be able to slow down the progress of certain breast cancers and other types of cancers that need estrogen to thrive.

For systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), flaxseed is thought to improve kidney function by decreasing the thickness of blood, reducing cholesterol levels, and reducing swelling.

Are there safety concerns?Return to top
Flaxseed is LIKELY SAFE for most adults when taken by mouth. Adding flaxseed to the diet might increase the number of bowel movements each day. It might also cause gastrointestinal (GI) side effects such as bloating, gas, abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, stomachache, and nausea. Higher doses are likely to cause more GI side effects.

There is some concern that taking large amounts of flaxseed could block the intestines due to the bulk-forming laxative effects of flaxseed. Flaxseed should be taken with plenty of water to prevent this from happening.

Taking flaxseed extracts that contain lignans in concentrated form is POSSIBLY SAFE. Lignans are the chemicals in flaxseed that are thought to be responsible for many of the effects. Some clinical research shows that a specific flaxseed lignan extract (Flax Essence, Jarrow Formulas) can be safely used for up to 12 weeks.

Products that contain partially defatted flaxseed, which is flaxseed with less alpha-linolenic acid content, are available. Some men choose these products because they have heard that alpha-linolenic acid might raise their risk of getting prostate cancer. It’s important to remember that the source of the alpha-linolenic acid is key. Alpha-linolenic acid from dairy and meat sources has been positively associated with prostate cancer. However, alpha-linolenic acid from plant sources, such as flaxseed, does not seem to affect prostate cancer risk. Men should not worry about getting alpha-linoleic acid from flaxseed. On the other hand, there is a concern that partially defatted flaxseed might raise triglyceride levels too much. Triglycerides are a type of blood fat.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/drugi...l/991.html

My apologies for the long way and to flaxseed. BlushBig Grin

(08-03-2014, 03:22 AM)Lotus Wrote:  
GLA-Gamma-Linolenic Acid

GLA- a fatty acid found primarily in vegetable oils. It is sold as a dietary supplement for a variety of human health problems. Here's a list of common GLA's and there uses or treatments for NBE.

Borage oil-The oil helps regulate hormones and lowers blood pressure, 3x more GLA than EPO, massage, galactogogue-increases breast milk in lactating mothers, Fibrocystic breast pain, anti-androgen

Evening Primrose Oil- massage, Fibrocystic breast pain, treats hot flashes, relieves PMS symptoms, relieves Eczema, hormone balance, fights breast tumors

Flaxseed oil-Lignan, massage, omega-3 fatty acids, Flax seed oil can increase prolactin, at the cost of lowering estrogen, (lignans inhibit aromatase, slows down the conversion of testosterone to estrogen), helps with breast pain
Inhibition of human aromatase by mammalian lignans and isoflavonoid phytoestrogens
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/art...609390022O

Coconut oil-makes connective tissues stronger for that much desired softness and elasticity. superb antioxidant activities that neutralize free radicals and slowing down aging, aids in breast feeding, Coconut oil is nature's richest source of MCFAs."

Precautions

Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable healthcare provider.

Omega-6 supplements, including GLA and EPO, should not be used if you have a seizure disorder because there have been reports of these supplements inducing seizures.

Borage seed oil,and possibly other sources of GLA, should not be used during pregnancy because they may be harmful to the fetus and induce early labor.

Doses of GLA greater than 3,000 mg per day should be avoided because, at that point, production of AA-Arachidonic Acid(rather than DGLA) may increase.

It's not so published, but a lot of phytoestrogens are anti-estrogenic, even PM, so the choice is up to you to research and choose which ones will benefit the most, props for taking the initiative to seek out the info. Wink

Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
https://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oil...t-oil.html

10 Proven Health Benefits of Coconut Oil (No. 3 is Best)
http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evi...conut-oil/

20 ANTI-ESTROGENIC FOODS THAT WILL HELP YOU OVERCOME ESTROGEN IMBALANCE
http://anabolicmen.com/anti-estrogenic-foods/

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon