Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Bio-identical progesterone cream?? Is there any harm

Exclamation 

to taking small amounts of this assuming you weren't deficient in progesterone?

Can you have too much progesterone and what are the negative effects of this?

Thanks in advance to any responses.
Ella x

Even if you did have too much you'd simply have to use more phytoestrogens to counterbalance it.

Excessive progesterone can lower estrogen which can reduce libido and so on. It might sometimes raise testosterone too.

The normal way breasts grow is always from estrogen in the presence of progesterone and not too much testosterone, plus each person's sensitivity to hormones, plus some other lesser factors. But too much estrogen or progesterone without the other could get in the way.

(03-12-2014, 01:28 PM)surferjoe2007 Wrote:  Even if you did have too much you'd simply have to use more phytoestrogens to counterbalance it.

Excessive progesterone can lower estrogen which can reduce libido and so on. It might sometimes raise testosterone too.

The normal way breasts grow is always from estrogen in the presence of progesterone and not too much testosterone, plus each person's sensitivity to hormones, plus some other lesser factors. But too much estrogen or progesterone without the other could get in the way.

Thanks surfer.
Im not worried about breasts but was told I am estrogen dominant but not by way of saliva testing, its some new quantum physics analyser so im not sure how reliable I think it is. My gut tells me I am and I want to try PC cream but not if theres a risk. What sucks here is the people who do hormone testing here will only test my progesterone first (and not estrogen at the same time) then charge me $150 on top of the other fees for the results of just my P levels then charge me this all over again to do my estrogen as well.

Id hoped by trying minute amounts of PC cream and judge how I feel that would be a safe option. Otherwise I can just have my saliva done by a local lab and take the results to a local naturopath I guess..

PC builds up in the fat tissue and I know some women who used bioidentical PC (in their luteal phase only) for some months and after retesting their progesterone level via a saliva test, their level did skyrocket!
For example my friend, she started using USP progesterone cream (bio-identical), because her level was below the range and her naturopath recommended PC. She used a 2% cream and just a tiny amount for 4 months and retested her progesterone value again (same lab). It was not only over the range, it was 4x above the range!! Also before she started using PC her estradiol level was too high and after using PC for 4 months her estradiol level was too low! Many other women experienced the same. So be careful with PC.

Also here is an excellent post about PC: http://curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1521544

(03-12-2014, 11:05 PM)peggy Wrote:  PC builds up in the fat tissue and I know some women who used bioidentical PC (in their luteal phase only) for some months and after retesting their progesterone level via a saliva test, their level did skyrocket!
For example my friend, she started using USP progesterone cream (bio-identical), because her level was below the range and her naturopath recommended PC. She used a 2% cream and just a tiny amount for 4 months and retested her progesterone value again (same lab). It was not only over the range, it was 4x above the range!! Also before she started using PC her estradiol level was too high and after using PC for 4 months her estradiol level was too low! Many other women experienced the same. So be careful with PC.

Also here is an excellent post about PC: http://curezone.org/forums/fm.asp?i=1521544

Thank you hun. Id hoped you would comment. Ok i hear you and il read the article after work. Txs again

So, maybe the best way to use, is when you know you have too much Estrogen????

(03-12-2014, 11:46 PM)iaboy Wrote:  So, maybe the best way to use, is when you know you have too much Estrogen????

Yes you guys are right.. no guarantee this test i had done is accurate. Its pretty fricken hard over here to find/have proper tests done that dont cost the earth Sad

According to this site I found a while back, progesteronetherapy.com, the author says that bio-identical progesterone is very, very safe. I'm going to say I haven't tried her dose recommendation for myself but it seems plausible.

Anyway, according to her, a lot of "progesterone side effects" are caused by taking too low of a dose to where the progesterone ends up over-sensitizing the body to estrogen without actually overcoming the estrogen - extremely likely where estrogen dominance is present.

Her remedy is to increase progesterone dose to 100-200 mg. sounds crazy, huh? but here's her case for it:

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/proge...fects.html

Quote:If you have a naturally high level of oestrogen or have been on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) or the contraceptive Pill for any length of time, then progesterone will make you more sensitive to the oestrogen in your body.

This is caused by progesterone activating the oestrogen receptors, which in turn causes the oestrogen dominance symptoms above.

Some women experience these perceived progesterone side effects, others not at all, men never do!

If any of these symptoms do occur, then either increase the dose and persevere until the symptoms disappear, or reduce the dose considerably to begin with and then gradually increase it over a month or two.

The Pill and HRT contain oestrogen and synthetic progesterone (which is commonly called progestin). Progestins cause natural progesterone levels to drop, leading to many of the above symptoms.

Progesterone has been safely used up to dosages of 2,400mg/day (ref. Dr Dalton, London). A dose as high as this is needed to reverse post natal psychosis, anything less will not achieve the desired result.

All the successful studies done on progesterone use between 100mg to 200mg per day. This equates to 3ml to 6ml of Natpro per day. Some go as high as 400-600mg/day, one as high as 1200mg/day as it was the oral variety.

A couple others:

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/natur...fects.html

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/docto...erone.html

I'm surprised I haven't seen it here yet, I've been meaning to start a thread and ask if anyone else has read it and for their opinion.

She seems to contradict a lot of the stuff discussed and claimed here about progesterone, stating it's not a female hormone per se, it can be applied nearly anywhere and that it doesn't accumulate in the fat.

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/prpge...e-fat.html

On one hand, it seems like she's trying to sell her own cream which doesn't look too bad, but it doesn't seem that much different than the Source Naturals or the others I've seen people write about here. nonetheless she seems honest with her info and often presents sources for her claims.

She does however say that bioidentical Progesterone should not be used for breast enhancement, only for hormone rebalance:

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/quest...rowth.html

Quote:Hello MV, I too am confused about the use of Progesterone. I have been taking a combination of Estrogen and Progesterone for about 3 years and my breasts have grown 3 cup sizes! I find this quite disturbing and no-one can give me an answer as to how to reduce my breast size without surgery. One doctor told me to take diuretics which would supposedley get rid of the fluid... but with low blood pressure, I get dizzy. I feel I am doomed to carting around DD breasts forever!

Breast growth
by: Wray

Hi Pandora. Your breasts have grown 3 cup sizes because you're also using oestrogen. Please cut this out and use only the progesterone. I think you'll find they will reduce back to their normal size. Oestrogen and only oestrogen causes cells to multiply, hence the breast growth. Take care, Wray

what do you ladies think? it's the most straight info I've ever seen about progesterone. but of course we should be careful playing with hormones.

(04-12-2014, 02:32 PM)anyover88 Wrote:  According to this site I found a while back, progesteronetherapy.com, the author says that bio-identical progesterone is very, very safe. I'm going to say I haven't tried her dose recommendation for myself but it seems plausible.

Anyway, according to her, a lot of "progesterone side effects" are caused by taking too low of a dose to where the progesterone ends up over-sensitizing the body to estrogen without actually overcoming the estrogen - extremely likely where estrogen dominance is present.

Her remedy is to increase progesterone dose to 100-200 mg. sounds crazy, huh? but here's her case for it:

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/proge...fects.html

Quote:If you have a naturally high level of oestrogen or have been on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) or the contraceptive Pill for any length of time, then progesterone will make you more sensitive to the oestrogen in your body.

This is caused by progesterone activating the oestrogen receptors, which in turn causes the oestrogen dominance symptoms above.

Some women experience these perceived progesterone side effects, others not at all, men never do!

If any of these symptoms do occur, then either increase the dose and persevere until the symptoms disappear, or reduce the dose considerably to begin with and then gradually increase it over a month or two.

The Pill and HRT contain oestrogen and synthetic progesterone (which is commonly called progestin). Progestins cause natural progesterone levels to drop, leading to many of the above symptoms.

Progesterone has been safely used up to dosages of 2,400mg/day (ref. Dr Dalton, London). A dose as high as this is needed to reverse post natal psychosis, anything less will not achieve the desired result.

All the successful studies done on progesterone use between 100mg to 200mg per day. This equates to 3ml to 6ml of Natpro per day. Some go as high as 400-600mg/day, one as high as 1200mg/day as it was the oral variety.

A couple others:

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/natur...fects.html

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/docto...erone.html

I'm surprised I haven't seen it here yet, I've been meaning to start a thread and ask if anyone else has read it and for their opinion.

She seems to contradict a lot of the stuff discussed and claimed here about progesterone, stating it's not a female hormone per se, it can be applied nearly anywhere and that it doesn't accumulate in the fat.

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/prpge...e-fat.html

On one hand, it seems like she's trying to sell her own cream which doesn't look too bad, but it doesn't seem that much different than the Source Naturals or the others I've seen people write about here. nonetheless she seems honest with her info and often presents sources for her claims.

She does however say that bioidentical Progesterone should not be used for breast enhancement, only for hormone rebalance:

http://www.progesteronetherapy.com/quest...rowth.html

Quote:Hello MV, I too am confused about the use of Progesterone. I have been taking a combination of Estrogen and Progesterone for about 3 years and my breasts have grown 3 cup sizes! I find this quite disturbing and no-one can give me an answer as to how to reduce my breast size without surgery. One doctor told me to take diuretics which would supposedley get rid of the fluid... but with low blood pressure, I get dizzy. I feel I am doomed to carting around DD breasts forever!

Breast growth
by: Wray

Hi Pandora. Your breasts have grown 3 cup sizes because you're also using oestrogen. Please cut this out and use only the progesterone. I think you'll find they will reduce back to their normal size. Oestrogen and only oestrogen causes cells to multiply, hence the breast growth. Take care, Wray

what do you ladies think? it's the most straight info I've ever seen about progesterone. but of course we should be careful playing with hormones.

Thanks Anyover. I will take a read today at work. I heard its very safe too. But goodness everythings a gamble if we don't know our exact levels.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon