Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Asparagus (common asparagus and shatavari)

There is a lot of folklore about Asparagus racemosus (shatavari) on how they prepare it in ayurveda. I read (from unofficial sources) they do a preparation of it with ghee. I believe it can also be used like other herbs, eaten or infused in olive oil then applied topically (to an uncertain efficacy). Here is a scientific study on it. http://www.indianjmedsci.org/article.asp...last=Goyal

The following of course is my own reasoning. Grocery store asparagus is Asparagus officinalis, in the same genus, and the difference may be no more different than (as someone else said) a lemon to an orange. Shatavari has a lot of coverage that common asparagus didn't get (probably because typical asparagus may not have been as effective or what if it wasn't common in India). If grocery store asparagus is weaker, at least its easily accessed.

Of course if one species in a genus is safe to take, it doesn't necessarily mean a different species of the same genus is, because different species have different levels of chemicals. Generally, species of the same genus are very similar in safety (not always) and chemicals, so research each species' safety first.

I looked into this a while back when I was looking into Shatavari. American asparagus is actually very similar. But you you don't use the shatavari stalk as an herb, you use shatavari root. And same for American asparagus root. I think shatavari is easier to get than American asparagus root anyway.

Good point about different parts of the plant. If grocery store asparagus even has a small amount of the right ingredients, it can still be useful. Otherwise, it may be as you said about the root. Growing a common asparagus plant might be the easiest way to get the root.

(edit to fix above link)

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon