Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Can PM affect TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels?

Can PM affect TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone)? I've done a quick web search, and haven't found anything.

I'm asking because I just got some lab results back, and my TSH level is high. I'm setting up an appointment with my doctor, but wanted to see if this could be involved. I've had high TSH previously, but it's been under control once I started taking prescription thyroid extract. So, I'm freaking out a little.

Thanks!

Michelle

I'm suspecting I have a thyroid problem. My hair is falling out and ALSO my eyebrows and a few other symptons, it comes and goes. BUT of course I can't know for sure until I get tested, I'm also almost sure I'm low in iron, so it could be that too. But I think the answer to your question is basically yes, it can affect. Although I've had this type of hairloss before taking PM. From what I've been reading a lot about that these last few days, so here's what I found:

"According to the late clinician John R Lee, M.D., estrogen dominance is behind many cases of midlife hypothyroidism, in which there are inadequate levels of thyroid hormone. When estrogen is not properly counterbalanced with progesterone, Dr. Lee surmised, it can block the action of thyroid hormone, so that even when the thyroid is producing normal levels of the hormone, the hormone is rendered ineffective and the symptoms of hypothyroidism appear. In this case, laboratory tests may show normal thyroid hormone levels in a woman’s system, because the thyroid gland itself is not malfunctioning. This problem is compounded when a woman is prescribed supplemental estrogen, which then leads to an even greater imbalance. Prescribing supplemental thyroid hormone in that case will fail to correct the underlying problem: estrogen dominance."

I remember seeing on several occasions, various NBE ready made pills contain things to stimulate the thyroid. I can't remember if it's because 'slightly hypothyroid' is the norm these days (in part due to wide spread iodine deficiency) - and we need our body temps to be 37 for NBE to work (apparently). Or, if NBE herbs require extra thyroid support in general. You should be able to tell whether you require thyroid support by measuring your basal body temp http://www.holistic-hypothyroidism-solut...ature.html I bought a cheap fertility thermometer on ebay (they measure very accurately to 2 decimal places).

When I did this for myself I was hypo, consistently low body temp - yet my bloodwork showed a good TSH. So, not really sure!! Either way I am taking NOW food Thyroid Energy, as it's simply supportive for thyroid and won't cause a problem if I don't need the support.

Saw Palmetto apparently helps the thyroid, maybe that's one of the reasons it contributes to NBE.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon