Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Best Way to Lower Testosterone?

I had my hormones tested and I am high in testosterone. From what I read, the following herbs can lower testosterone levels:

Black Cohosh
Saw Palmetto
Spearmint Tea
Dong Quai

Which of these would be the best to try not only to lower my testosterone but also for NBE?

Hi there.
As far as what I have heard and experienced, I would not recommend Black Cohosh. I think it works fine for some people. I am not sure how popular it is for NBE. I also haven't researched Dong Quai very much. Everyone has different experiences, however. While still being careful, I have decided to opt for Saw Palmetto (and a little bit of PM) for the time being (as of last week), in relation to a video and other advice I have seen around the web. But I notice that my body has had to adjust to this, too. So I am being watchful with my body. Black Cohosh may be preferable for post-menopausal women. I suggest just doing more research. I only did research on Black Cohosh after I tried a low dose and had undesirable effects causing me to quit after a few days.
Good Luck.

Thanks for your reply. What undesirable effects did you get from black cohosh?

Well, again, this is just my experience. When I took black cohosh, I noticed that my legs became severely swollen. I mean causing me serious concern. Also, it delayed my period also. The thing is that my best friend follows my period, even though we live in another city. She has recently gotten married and is using natural birth control. She was a little freaked out and felt better once she realized that I was late with mine. Hahaha. I apologized for delaying "our period." I think it was water retention, but it also seemed like it was leading to fast weight gain. And I read that it can cause younger women other complications. Ah, well. Who knows? This nbe thing is crazy, at times!

Spearmint. Hands down.

I'm a novice like most here but from the research I've done and from what I've heard from others, saw palmetto is good at preventing the conversion of testosterone to DHT and spearmint is good at reducing overall testosterone. I use both but I'm male and feel like I need to nuke anything testosterone related. As an alternative to spearmint tea, if you decide to use that, you can take spearmint pills. I get mine from Swansons. The bottle suggests 1 per day but I take 0-2 (I'm not real strict about my "secondary" herbs).

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-p...mg-60-caps

Best of luck!

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to go with spearmint since it seems that the others aren't good for someone with estrogen dominance. To those who have used spearmint, have you noticed a difference in effectiveness between the pills and tea?

(07-11-2013, 05:36 AM)doodlebug2055 Wrote:  I'm a novice like most here but from the research I've done and from what I've heard from others, saw palmetto is good at preventing the conversion of testosterone to DHT and spearmint is good at reducing overall testosterone. I use both but I'm male and feel like I need to nuke anything testosterone related. As an alternative to spearmint tea, if you decide to use that, you can take spearmint pills. I get mine from Swansons. The bottle suggests 1 per day but I take 0-2 (I'm not real strict about my "secondary" herbs).

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-p...mg-60-caps

Best of luck!

I use the Swanson pills as well! I love them, because I know I would not be able to keep up with drinking the tea. And in answer to your question sweetpea, spearmint is spearmint so as long as dosage is the same between the tea and the pills you are comparing, they should both perform the same. Unless of course you buy from some shady brand that might not be honest about the ingredients of their spearmint capsules or tea. And as with any herb, space out your dosage throughout the day.

Good luck! And about the saw palmetto. Doodlebug may benefit from it because his testosterone converts to DHT. For MOST women, this is not a problem, so saw palmetto is not a great option for genetic women.

(08-11-2013, 06:00 AM)sweetpea Wrote:  Thanks for the replies. I've decided to go with spearmint since it seems that the others aren't good for someone with estrogen dominance. To those who have used spearmint, have you noticed a difference in effectiveness between the pills and tea?

I've never tried the tea. Like Timarie, I wouldn't be consistent about drinking it. I'm all over during my day so making tea is not an option and a thermos is too much trouble. Unfortunately though, if you want pills from Swanson's, you'll have to wait. It seems they are on backorder right now. I wonder if it's possible for a group like ours to cause that all by ourselves.

Black Cohosh is okay for very very short term and not in high doses. But it is proven to do some nice amount of damage to your liver. My local walgreens actually pulled it off the shelf because a lady in my city used it and developed minor liver failure. I would stay away from Cohosh. Pueraria Mirifica is the strongest herb on the market for estrogen and in sense of that it also aids in prolactin production as well so in honesty for a woman that could help tremendously to knock down t and boost e.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon