Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Yay for Science! Info about phytoesterols,

Wink 

I found this site by the NYU med center to be very useful! Most interesting thing I learned so far, saw palmetto is not actually a phytoesterol. It might still have some boobie benefits, but not for that reason...I was thinking about buying some, but now I've reconsidered.

New York University Medical Center: Phytoesterols

(16-05-2013, 08:35 AM)jsbelle Wrote:  saw palmetto is not actually a phytoesterol.

Uhm. People thought it was? I've always said the ONLY reason to take saw palmetto is to block DHT and that if you don't have a DHT problem don't take it. If you have a problem with other testosterone but not DHT, use something else, such as spearmint. And if you have absolutely no testosterone problems at all, don't use any t-blocking herb!

Hm, interesting. Thanks for the adivce, AbiDrew! I've been using spearmint myself. Seems to help my skin, not too sure about the effects on NBE as its too soon to tell.

I came across this site because I am weighing the pros and cons of taking concentrated isoflavones vs. taking whole red clover and dietary soy. So I was also really intrigued by this section regarding the use of isoflavones to treat menopausal symptoms:

"What can one make of this mixed evidence? The problem here is that placebo treatment has a strong effect on menopausal symptoms. In such circumstances, statistical noise can easily drown out the real benefits of a treatment under study. Estrogen is so powerful for hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms that its benefits are almost always clear in studies; most likely, soy or concentrated isoflavones have a more modest effect, not always seen above the background."

That cleared a lot of things up for me. Big Grin

(16-05-2013, 06:01 PM)jsbelle Wrote:  Hm, interesting. Thanks for the adivce, AbiDrew! I've been using spearmint myself. Seems to help my skin, not too sure about the effects on NBE as its too soon to tell.

I came across this site because I am weighing the pros and cons of taking concentrated isoflavones vs. taking whole red clover and dietary soy. So I was also really intrigued by this section regarding the use of isoflavones to treat menopausal symptoms:

"What can one make of this mixed evidence? The problem here is that placebo treatment has a strong effect on menopausal symptoms. In such circumstances, statistical noise can easily drown out the real benefits of a treatment under study. Estrogen is so powerful for hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms that its benefits are almost always clear in studies; most likely, soy or concentrated isoflavones have a more modest effect, not always seen above the background."

That cleared a lot of things up for me. Big Grin

Honestly even concentrated, isoflavones really aren't all that powerful. Hops and pueraria mirifica are the only real exceptions when it comes to strong phytoesterols. PM being strongest, but hops is notable because it's also anti-t and pro-aromatase with some of the other constituents.

Good luck with whatever you're after!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon