Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

Evening Primrose oil and other Essential Fatty Acids

Evening Primrose oil and other Essential Fatty Acids
February 11 2008 at 4:02 PM waxingmoon (Login waxingmoon)

Hey everyone. I just responded to something Durga asked me and I wanted to mention a concern.

This is about the ratios of Essential Fatty Acids (known as EFAs).

There are three essential fatty acids that we must get in our diets. Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9. The 3 and the 6 are more important because if we have enough of them in our diet we can make the omega-9.

We get these oils from many different sources. One of these sources is Evening Primrose Oil (EPO) which contains Omega-6. Borage oil also contains Omega-6. Well, so does corn oil and a lot of other oils in our regular diet.

What we don't have a lot of in our diet is Omega-3. This is found mostly in cold water fish - but you can also get it from Flax seed. Unless you are consuming a lot of fish you may be deficient in Omega-3.

This Omega-3 deficiency causes your ratio between Omega-6 and 3 to become undesirable (too much 6 and not enough 3) and can lead to some very negative disease states - such as heart disease and increased cancer risks.

So, basically what I am saying is if you are going to take Evening Primrose Oil or Borage oil, you ought to be increasing your consumption of cold water fish (salmon, mackrel, sardines, etc) or taking fish oil supplements or taking crushed flaxseed or flaxseed oil. This will help to keep your EFA ratios better and keep you healthy so you will be around to enjoy those gorgeous boobs... lol

I know what I have just stated above is a very simplified version of an incredibly complex subject. If you want to know all the details of what I am talking about, here is a great article that explains about Essential Fatty Acids:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magazine03/efa.htm

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

Author Reply
Linz
(no login) Vitamin E
February 11 2008, 4:46 PM

Good info about the fish oils - will remember to get some mackeral when I'm shopping later.

I just wanted to mention that I've read a couple of times that vitamin E must be taken with EPO, as the EPO oxidises in the body - so you need an antioxidant to mop this up. It's good for the skin anyway, so no harm done.

xx

Durga
(Login durga)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Evening Primrose oil and other Essential Fatty Acids
February 12 2008, 12:03 AM

I responded on your program page...thanks again, Waxingmoon!

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Evening Primrose oil and other Essential Fatty Acids
February 12 2008, 11:32 AM

I have been taking flax seed oil so far but I'd thinking of adding EPO as well. Sounds like a good combination anyway.

northernmom
(no login) Re: Evening Primrose oil and other Essential Fatty Acids
February 12 2008, 1:15 PM

thank you again for the info on the oils, waxingmoon.
i'm taking 3000mg of epo and flaxseed oil...didnt know about having to balance the 3 and the6.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon