Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

EPO or starflower (borage)

EPO or starflower (borage)
February 7 2008 at 10:14 AM Woolly Sheep (Login madboobie)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is the beast, girls?

Any anyone tried massaging with borage?

Love

Madboobie

Author Reply
Louise
(Login Louise1982)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: EPO or starflower (borage) February 7 2008, 8:02 PM

Eve used borage and added other herbs to it, not sure if Fennel Fairy used one or the other. Think Tigerlily used borage.

Personally I use EPO as it's cheaper and I'm stingy! Both are cheap and pure + vitamin E from Power Health. If you order over £15 you get free UK shipping too so that's 2x Borage or 3x EPO....as you can imagine I got both.

These are also a nice way to take your oil supplements as it's not like swallowing the awful huge capsules and you can take 4500mg at one go in a teaspoon which is enough to do even every other day. It doesn't taste great but it's not too bad if you quickly wash it down with something sweet. Borage and EPO are both omega 6, so internally take one or the other (you don't need both), I wasn't sure which was better so took one the first day and the other the day after to alternate. Then you need omega 3 from flax seed as well, ground flax seed (linseed) is what Eve took and tastes ok, like Bran and can be added to cereal or porridge, 6 teaspoons of grounds is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of oil. MomXseven has had great results with taking a teaspoon of oils but Tigerlily who is smaller built had a reat result with 1000-2000mg per day so see how much you can handle!

Sorry that turned into a bit of an essay!

Mango84
(Login Mango84)
SENIOR MEMBER EPO or starflower (borage) February 7 2008, 10:56 PM

Borage has more GLA than EPO - about three times as much. I massage with borage, although I picked up a bottle of EPO gelcaps today, and am going to alternate between the two.

Durga
(Login durga)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: EPO or starflower (borage) February 7 2008, 11:00 PM

Madboobie,

I'm currently massaging with a cream that includes borage seed oil. I also am taking borage oil internally. In addition to the omega fatty acids, borage also has a history of being used as a galactagogue.

Best of luck,
Durga

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: EPO or starflower (borage) February 7 2008, 11:11 PM

But I've repeatedly heard that EPO actually caused people to grow, instead of just being a source of EFAs. Interesting I didn't know borage was a galactogogue, maybe that's why it didn't seem to contribute much to my NBE. When I replaced it with flax seed oil it seemed to give me more growing signs. I'll be trying EPO soon just to see what happens.

Frostedmint06
(Login frostedmint06)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: EPO or starflower (borage) February 8 2008, 3:29 AM

I take EPO (4000 mg) and borage oil (2000 mg) internally and also use them for massage. Some researchers in Europe doing test studies on fibrocystic breast disease and EPO found that many of the test subjects reported that their breasts grew bigger without changing anything else in their diet (except for the EPO). It didn't happen in every case but it happened enough times for it to be noted by the researchers.

This message has been edited by frostedmint06 on Aug 14, 2008 4:48 AM
This message has been edited by frostedmint06 on Feb 8, 2008 7:07 AM

Tessica
(Login Tessica) Re: EPO or starflower (borage) February 8 2008, 10:00 AM

Black currant oil has more GLA than both EPO and borage oil, and is pretty inexpensive.

Hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: EPO or starflower (borage) February 9 2008, 5:06 PM

Hey Moon what do you mean by this:

"Interesting I didn't know borage was a galactogogue, maybe that's why it didn't seem to contribute much to my NBE."

I'm just wondering why would galctogogues not work for you? wondering if the same would be true for me. Thanks Smile

Jackie
(Login classyfashh) Re: EPO or starflower (borage) February 11 2008, 12:41 AM

I'm going to start taking Vitex Agnus Castus in a few days but I was just wondering if using EPO would be bad to mix those two together?

And which one [in experience] is more effective. EPO for massaging? Or taken orally?

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: EPO or starflower (borage) February 11 2008, 6:57 PM

Taking anything orally is more effective, the skin is permeable but only absorbs about 10% of the concentration that you'd get by swallowing it.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon