Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

Saw palmetto

Saw palmetto
January 28 2008 at 3:49 AM Sarah (Login Sarah)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just bought a brand of saw palmetto called Herbal Plus at GNC and it says that each capsule contains 160 mg of Saw Plametto Berries extract guaranteed to provide 85% fatty acids and 0.2% Sterols.

Does this mean that there is only about 15% of saw palmetto since the other 85% is fatty acids?

Also, how much borage oil is too much?

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Saw palmetto January 30 2008, 9:52 PM

No it means that 85% of the saw palmetto consists of the saw palmetto fatty acids.

Ann5
(Login Ann5)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Saw palmetto January 31 2008, 5:07 PM

I also have 160mg SP extract, how many mg does that equal to in fruit? I was taking the whole fruit before, about 1,200mg. I'm not sure how many of the extract to take now.

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Saw palmetto January 31 2008, 8:32 PM

That would depend on what strength extract you have , is it 4:1 or 10:1 for example?

Ann5
(Login Ann5)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Saw palmetto February 1 2008, 6:53 PM

Well, it doesn't state a ratio on the bottle so I called the company and the nurtionist says, there's no need for a ratio!. That only the percentage of fatt acids is important. I've been taking one softgel once a day, do you think I should take it twice a day? I'm really confused now.

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Saw palmetto February 2 2008, 9:05 PM

So what percentage of fatty acids does your saw palmetto have? Then I could answer your question.

Ann5
(Login Ann5)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Saw palmetto February 2 2008, 11:45 PM

It's says:
"Standardized to contain between 85-95% fatty acids and biologically active sterol compounds".

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
SENIOR MEMBER Borage Oil February 3 2008, 4:35 AM

1000mg (1 gram) per day is OK. Take it just before bedtime. I would say that short bursts of two grams per day would be OK, but one gram per day should be enough. I would also suggest to take a break from it one month out of three.

One of the main reasons to take borage oil is for the GLA content. Borage oil is 23% GLA where EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) is about 8%. You could get as much GLA per day by taking one gram of EPO three times per day and not have to worry at all about toxicity. But you don't get the spike of GLA that borage oil provides, and I don't personally think that EPO is as good as borage oil for manufacturing prostaglandins.

The only thing I have ever read that looked dangerous about borage oil is where it was shown to be dangerous to a fetus' liver if taken while pregnant. I have never seen anyone have problems with it. But if you are really worried, just avoid it and take EPO instead.

Ann5
(Login Ann5)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Saw palmetto February 5 2008, 3:43 AM

Molly,
You think you could help?

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Saw palmetto February 5 2008, 10:05 AM

What you have equates to a 10:1 extract. This is common for saw palmetto, as 10:1 extracts are often recommended for men with prostrate problems.

Ann5
(Login Ann5)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Saw palmetto February 5 2008, 4:53 PM

Ok, so I should just mulitply by 10 then right?

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Saw palmetto February 6 2008, 8:33 AM

Yes exactly. So if you take one a day you're actually taking more than you were before when you were taking 1200mg of the whole fruit.

Ann5
(Login Ann5)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Saw palmetto February 6 2008, 4:44 PM

Thanks for your help Molly.

Des
(Login DesJ) SP and facial hair? February 6 2008, 10:26 PM

Hi everybody,

I have read here on the forum somewhere, that some girls experienced facial hair taking SP, but I cannot find it anymore. At that time I was taking SP with Fennel, pretty low dosage 1200mg each, on and off (forgot to take many pills). Figure I only finished 100 caps in 10 weeks. It turns out I got a hair on my lower cheek that was not there before Sad Is blond but pretty long..
Normally after I did a lot of reading here and on my internet research, SP is recommended for excess adrogens like hirsutism aka excess hair, which I'm pretty sure I do not have. I had acne (not bad) another sign of excess androgen since puberty, now I'm 29 and my face cleared up. I'm confused but I'm thinking it can be from herbs as well, and maybe taking even on low dosages my hormons are acting up. I have mid cycle pain that I never had before, and my period just came 6 days earlier (20 days cycle instead of 30 as I had before). I always had irregular period, sometimes wouldn't get for 3-4 months and my doc put me on Diane 35 which fixed it as long as I was taking them. After having a baby I changed to Mirena, been 15 months since then. Also experienced lactation, so I had to stop the massage, I'm only doing gentle massage now and is not as effective.
I was about to swich to nettle root when I noticed the hair but I eneded up not taking it anymore.
Now I'm only taking fennel and red clover (1600mg, 600mg daily) plus gelatine, ginko biloba and borage oil.
I know that prolactin is important for NBE, but is there anything I could take to make it lower? Would that impede any possible growth?
Anyone experienced facial hair from herbs+ sp?? I'm kind of scared to remove it not to get it back darker and thicker..eww. And is there anything I can apply to make it disappear??
Also I was taking kelp before because of low temperature and cold feet and hands . Now that I'm taking ginko, do I need the kelp too? I've been taking ginko for a months now and I'm still cold all the time.
In case you are wondering I didn't have any growth as of now, actually is a pain to look at them. I'm a AA on a 36 band and bit saggy after breastfeeding Sad Just ordered Avon sculpting cream hopefully is going to work.
I'm sorry to make it so long, I'm still new on this field and I would like to know your experiences.
Is a pleasure to read this forum...very valuable information!
Thank you in advance!

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Saw palmetto February 6 2008, 10:44 PM

I'd see about getting back to Diane35 if I were you. You may want to get tested for polycystic ovaries too, it can vary in severity. I've had all the symptoms of hormonal problems for ages and going on a weak pill improved it a lot (Microgynon) but I began to get a few hairs on my chest, not thick but fairly dark, maybe about 30 hairs in total. I saw a private gynaecologist after not getting much luck from the NHS and she gave me Dianette (same as Diane35), I waxed the hairs, took the pills, waxed one more time about 6 weeks later and after that only 1 little hair grew back and it's been nearly 4 months since I last removed them. You may have been slightly hairier before you started Diane35 and not noticed, it's known that once you come off it the hairs come back which I find a bit worrying but I hope it won't happen to me as I took it as soon as the hairs started to grow. I feel Dianette is too strong for me as my skin's not so good but it's better than when I took nothing so I'll try to finish the next 6 months then the doctor wants me to try another brand.

In general do you have more symptoms or just feel less 'well' when you come off the pill? This is a sign that your hormones are unbalanced. Most people who have good hormones find the pill makes them feel ill.

Des
(Login DesJ) Re: Saw palmetto February 6 2008, 11:33 PM

Hi Louise, thank you for your input.
I took Diane 35 7-8 years ago on and off untill I got pregnant at the of 2005. I loved Diane as my skin improved, my period became regular and my boobs got bigger too. But as I said just as long as I was taking them, because after I stopped came back to my A's, thats before breastfeeding. And it might have done something about the hair too I just didn't notice.
Now though, I am on Mirena which is progesterone, been on it for 15 months. I missed like first 5 months of period but after my body adjusted to it I guess and had no problem untill I started NBE.
My guess is that, I got the hair after I started Saw Palmetto and herbs. And I am sure it wasn't there before, or just wasn't long enough to notice it.
You are right Diane is very strong, I took months break every year.
I do have an appointment for a pap soon, maybe i'll sugest my doctor a hormonal imbalance test as well.
Is kind of hard to find out exactly what kind of hormonal imbalance one has by testing online, I get a few of each it seems I have a little bit of each...confusing

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Saw palmetto February 7 2008, 8:12 PM

I agree about the symptoms quiz, I had nearly everything for all of them! If you're better on the pill than off it there's probably something underlying, try to push them for an abdominal ultrasound.
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon