Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question!

I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question!
September 24 2009 at 2:08 AM becky23 (Login becky23)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! I've been reading from this forum for about 2 years now, but this is the first time I've ever posted. I started my program Jan 1st of this year and pursued it until about mid May. My life got a little more hectic and I wasn't able to stay in the routine (which I know was a bad decision b/c most results are seen in summer months if you're above the equator, which I am)! By the end of my almost 5 months I had noticeable swelling, but it virtually all went away when I stopped NBE.

I am hoping someone may have some advice for me (hopefully Wahaika you can give me some advice, I know you are well versed in the mechanics of a lot of this). Here is all the info I can think of about me/my program, please feel free to ask questions if you think it will help!

I am...
22 years old
female
Height: 5'9"
Breasts: 34 B (but a VERY small B)
Waist: 27
Hips: 32
Weight:130 lbs.
I don't smoke and drink alcohol on occasion. I never drink coffee. I am NOT a vegetarian, but am trying (as of recently) to bring more fruits and veggies into my diet..junk food is just so much more fun!

I am pretty confused when it comes to my hormones though--I have looked many times on the Estrogen Deficiency/Dominance List and have found that I have 5 symptoms of Estrogen Dominance (3 of which are shared b/w Deficiency), and 5 symptoms of Estrogen Deficiency (3 of which shared). My chiropractor suspects hypothyroidism-
Also as a side note: in the last few years (even before starting NBE) I have noticed black hairs sprouting up around my naval and in the center of my chest(on top of my sternum)...I know, very gross--but I think I remember hearing that could be due to excess androgens.

So now that you have a decent background, here is my (unsuccessful) routine:
It's roughly based on Eve's--
(per day, in mg)
Barley-800
Alfalfa-400
Fenugreek-1800
Hops-1800
Fennel-400
Soy-1000
Flaxseed-2000
borage oil-1000
Ginka Biloba-120

In addition I'm taking a multi-vitamin containing vit. B, and in March I decided to add Saw Palmetto (450mg)
I massage 20 min per day (Tiger Lily and Fengshui's Technique)
It could just be that I'm trying too many herbs and is shocking my system leading to some sort of a stall. I'm not sure, any input would be VERY appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Becky

Author Reply
Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! September 24 2009, 5:15 PM

Hello Becky,

High androgens: If everything about your cycle is regular, normal, etc. then you are probably not too far off.

More Saw Palmetto should help the androgen problem. Bump that to about 2000mg per day. Insulin raises SHBG so if you are having a lot of carbs or refined sugars in your diet then you may want to lower those things. Are you carrying any weight around the middle? (Lots of women think they are fat when they are not. Be realistic on this.) Are you getting plenty of exercise?

If you want to speed up the thyroid start taking kelp and L-tyrosine. If your multivitamin contains 150mcg of iodine then you are OK and don't need the kelp.

Keep up the B complex. Get some calcium and magnesium. Also check your multivitamin for Vitamin D. Another thing to address is the multivitamin. Unless from a health food store, they are not always in dosages that are high enough to do any good. You may want to double or triple those depending on what you are taking.

Your internals look a little like Eve's Program. Were you trying to do that one or a derivative?

For massage, are you using any herbs and heat?

Wahaika

becky
(Login becky23) Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! September 29 2009, 7:52 PM

Hi Wahaika,

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. I believe my cycle to be relatively normal—a frequency of around 28 days (when not on the herbs it is more variable), lasting about 6 or 7 days (my first 1-2 days are pretty heavy, but after that it isn't bad. My cramps are pretty intense as soon as I get my period, and lasts about 1 day (but when I take the herbs I never seem to get any cramps, so I must be on the right track).

I do tend to eat a decent amount of carbs, I've been trying to cut back, but they still comprise a large portion of my diet. Speaking objectively, I don't believe I'm carrying much weight around the middle—it's actually somewhat peculiar—even though I don't work out too much I have a decently toned middle area. I'm pretty skinny everywhere except my butt which is the biggest part of my body—slightly bigger than average. I try to work out a couple times a week but it realistically ends up being about once a week that I do.

Also, I did buy my multivitamin from Wal-mart (NatureMade Multi:For Her), so you suggest increasing that dosage (of 1/day)? It contains 2mg B6 and 6mcg B12—is this sufficient for the B complex? Also, should I supplement my calcium and magnesium intake further if I'm already getting 250mg Ca and 100mg Mg through the multivitamin?

I have decided to do a derivative of Eve's program—I'm not sure that's the right route to go though because Eve (from my understanding) isn't sure of whether or not her hormones were balanced. I've made slight adjustments to my program (borage oil, saw palmetto, ect) based on what I've learned.

In the first 2 months I massaged with a mixture of: Cocoa Butter lotion, fenugreek, vitamin E extract, hops, and avena sativa. After massage I would apply heat for about 10 minutes (I did not consistently apply heat after massage though). In addition, prior to massage, I would do 20 push-ups--

Hope this information helps, thanks so much again for taking the time to help me out—I was beginning to feel so lost!

Ps sorry for the late response, my internet has been down the last couple days—it's been driving me crazy!

Thanks again,

Becky

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! September 30 2009, 7:41 PM

Becky,

I think that Eve's Program is a perfect choice for you (by the way, "bere" is a Scotish barley, not wheatgrass) with the following additions:

1. L-Tyrosine (capsules are prefered over tablets)
Example: http://shop.hihealth.com/Twinlab_L-Tyros...__P188.cfm

2. Kelp*

3. *Make sure the multivitamin with a B complex has at least 125mcg of iodine. If it does, you don't need the kelp. And yes, I think your multi looks a bit weak on the B's. Here is an example of what I had in mind:
http://shop.hihealth.com/Ultimate-Plus_M..._P5236.cfm

4. Flaxseed oil. 1000mg three times per day.

5. Bump the Saw Palmetto to 1000mg two or three times per day.

6. Get Greenbush's Gingko Biloba in the 4 oz size. Use a full dropper at night.

7. Get rid of the soy. Unless it is non-GMO and processed a certain way it could easily be a cause of hypothyroidism.

The massage looks good but must have a potent phytoestrogen such as fenugreek extract or PM followed by about 30 minutes of low heat. The cocoa butter is not necessary. Also, replace the hops with borage oil.

Wahaika

Fantasyland
(Login Fantasyland) Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! September 30 2009, 8:53 PM

Wahaika,

Hope all is well with you.

You stated to Becky that coco butter is not necessary. I just wanted to know why? A lot of threads I’ve read suggested it’s great for firming and toning during the massaging practice and really makes a difference.I want to stop using it if it’s causing harm.

Thanks!

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! September 30 2009, 10:50 PM

Fantasyland,

Please understand that I need to ask you two questions before I answer (because it does make a difference in my answer):

What is your:

1. Age?
2. Sex? (as determined at birth)

This message has been edited by Wahaika on Sep 30, 2009 10:51 PM

Fantasyland
(Login Fantasyland) Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! September 30 2009, 11:35 PM

Wahaika,

That’s fine. I’m 23 Female.

Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Thanks for responding!

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! October 3 2009, 11:20 PM

Fantasyland,

Cocoa butter is not necessary but it can be good. My reply is based on a widespread use a year or two ago where the women here generally agreed that it didn't work as stated in this patent: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1063961.html This is why I stated that it is not necessary - mainly because there are better things out there.

I have seen it work well for a few women. Sometimes palmer's bust firming cream is used. I would say to add some Greenbush fenugreek extract to it, and possibly some borage oil, making it Palmers or warmed cocoa butter + Greenbush fenugreek extract + borage oil + vitamin E + massage then apply low heat for 30 minutes.

It causes no harm that I am aware of.

Wahaika

becky
(Login becky23) Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! October 5 2009, 7:31 PM

Hi Wahaika,

Thank you so much for the helpful advice. I have already gone and purchased the L-tyrosine and am taking that 3 times/day as directed. I plan on ordering the multivitamin and Ginko Biloba you suggested. Also, the soy I use is non-GMO, water washed soy protein (www.wholenectar.com). I had signs of hypothyroidism long before I started the soy. If you still think it may be adding to my hypothyroidism, I'll stop, I just want to make sure I'm not cuttig out a potentially helpful aspect of my routine!

Also, I bumped up the Saw Palmetto from 450mg to 1800mg and felt a bit of aches in my breast area (which I am assuming is a good thing!), however, when I bumped it up even more (to 2700mg) the pains went away. Is this coincidence or could it be a stall? Do you suggest I try the stall test to be sure, or proceed with taking 1000mg 3x daily?

Thanks so much again,

Becky

emmiedee
(Login anothertry) careful! October 5 2009, 7:45 PM

whoa, becky! i'll just jump in really quickly... if there is a chance that the soy is affecting your thyroid, cut it out! other things can get put in there. your health comes first! plus, balance is key. you need to find your balance, and then not make existing problems worse. you need to be in control, and if you are taking soy when your body may already be off-kilter in that way it won't help. the advice on here will help you find a substitute... or perhaps to cut it out altogether. i can be paranoid, especially because for the past year my chemicals have been totally out-of-whack. not a fun place to be... and terrible for boobs! i had to take the time to recenter myself. anyone can tell you that being sick in any way is not good, because then your body will focus on repairing what is wrong instead of helping you reach your goal.

anyway, enough with my preaching. i am not currently on herbs, so i would not be the best choice to come up with a substitute. anyone else?

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! October 5 2009, 8:08 PM

Yep, totally agree. Anyone with hypothyroidism issues should not be on soy. Discontinue the soy.

If 1800mg of SP seems to be making a difference then that is where you should be. Just understand that at this time of year you are most likely to get porked out by saw palmetto as compared to starting in the spring.

Instead of bumping up saw palmetto, just keep it where you had it (1800mg) and add fenugreek and wild yam. But again, I am not really in favor of starting routines at this time of year. Keep the dosages low and assume that you will stall easier at this time of year. Concentrate of being healthy. If you want to experiment with your dosages to see what seems to work, feel free, but take this time off and get your thyroid back in shape. Get some exercise, take up a sport that you enjoy. This will also help metabolism.

Wahaika

becky
(no login) Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! October 6 2009, 3:24 PM

Ok, that sounds good. I agree with both of you--overall health should always take priority. The only reason I asked is because my chiropractor was the one who suggested this type of soy protein to supplement my diet. Thank you very much for your concern, I'll cut the soy and concentrate more on externals!

Becky

sara
(no login) Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! October 8 2009, 3:10 AM

why not see an endocrinologist.............yes it costs money

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! October 8 2009, 4:12 PM

I think Sara makes a good point. This question should be a thread/discussion of its own.

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! October 8 2009, 4:15 PM

I would have to say that the best smoothies ever, are the ones you make yourself. If you need more protein in your diet then there are far better choices than soy. Chicken, turkey, fish, and beef are all good protein sources.

I'm not saying that soy as an ingredient in something is bad. For some people it is no big deal. But there are too many problems that surround soy for those who have hypothyroid issues, and to take something like soy protein would probably work for a short time but you could easily have some serious problems shortly thereafter - like a few months.

If you want to speed up your thyroid then kelp, L-Tyrosine, and a B complex would be at the top of the list, especially for those drinking soy protein or soy milk. There are other things that could help as well. But in you case, avoid soy.

Wahaika

becky
(Login becky23) Re: I'm stumped: Hormone/General Question! October 8 2009, 9:13 PM

Ok, thank you everyone. I have completely eliminated soy from my diet. I do get plenty of proteins from other sources (chicken, fish, beef, ect.). Although seeking the help of an endocrinologist would ultimately be most effective, it isn't in my budget at the moment. Therefore, I have strayed away from sources that would have a negative impact on my hypothyroidism. I'm hoping that with a slight increase in borage and saw palmetto I will get the results I want, if not, like posted previously, it isn't worth a health risk.

Thanks all!

Becky

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon