Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon
Thread Closed

Fenugreek Oil

Wahaika?
October 15 2009 at 4:20 PM roakie (Login roakie)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You recently posted that external application of fenugreek "oil" is not recommended for NBE. I have been using fenugreek oil and aloe on my breasts at night. I just started about 2 weeks ago and now wonder if that will impede my progress. Why is the oil not recommended as opposed to fenugreek powder?

Author Reply
Butterfly
(Login Butterfly84) Re: Wahaika? October 15 2009, 4:59 PM

Out of curiousity, what exactly is fenugreek oil? what about fenugreek extract; that's supposed to be good, not? is powder still the best option of the three? I always thought that herbal extracts are the most potent form herbs come in.

Wahaika
(Login Wahaika)
SENIOR MEMBER Re: Wahaika? October 15 2009, 7:17 PM

Fenugreek oil is what is pressed out of the seeds. Let's use a familiar example:

Flaxseeds.
Flaxseed oil is from flax seeds that have been pressed.
Flaxseed powder is finely ground flaxseeds.
Flaxseed extract would be flaxseeds soaked for a long time in alcohol or glyceryn.
Flaxseed decoction would be to boil the whole seeds for some time - like coffee. Coffee is a decoction.
Flaxseed infusion (slang is flaxseed "tea") - is where you put flaxseed powder in hot water and let it sit for 20 minutes then strain it. Teabags or coffee filters work better for this. Usually infusions are on soft things like leaves or petals. Decoctions are usually for hard things like seeds or bark.

Fenugreek oil is good for NBE as an external. It is A-Ok as an internal but nobody has used it that way yet, so we don't know what the dilution is. Maybe there is an herbalist who knows this, but it may be that common dilutions for oils could be too strong or too weak to use as internals in NBE. It's not that fenugreek oil is bad, it's that it is untried.

Oils are the most potent form unless an extract has been concentrated. So, it depends on the extract strength.

Wahaika
Thread Closed

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon