Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Home made breast pump?

Lightbulb 

Has anyone tried to make their own breast pump? Got this crazy idea today. I was transferring some liquid soap from a large container to a smaller container. I used a funnel so to keep from spilling liquid all over the counter. I looked at the funnel, it is made of firm plastic, 3 1/4 inches at the top and narrows down to about 3/8th of an inch where the tube shaped part is. The funnel is about 3 1/2 inches deep. Then thought maybe if I went to a place like Harbor Freight or an auto parts store and purchased a vacuum pump. The manual vacuum pump sells for around $8.00 or there is a small electric one that sells for about $20.00. Purchase one of those pumps, some plastic tubing and then attach all to the funnel, walla a home made breast pump? I haven't gone to purchase the pump yet. Was just thinking about this today. Think it would work??? Rolleyes If I pumped to the full depth of the funnel the breast might be kind of pointed shape or maybe a 'perky' shape. Cool

Try using 4" PVC end caps. Drill into it and attach a "nipple" to attach the tubing to. I have heard that people have had issues with the funnels...

(18-01-2012, 05:22 AM)fresan Wrote:  Try using 4" PVC end caps. Drill into it and attach a "nipple" to attach the tubing to. I have heard that people have had issues with the funnels...

Thanks for that idea. Also on Men Wear Bras someone suggested food storage containers. Probably the PVC end caps would less likely to crack Wink

Maz used one:
http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=7666&pid=29021#pid29021

Search "aquarium" on the forum, and you'll find some earlier versions. They all use aquarium tubing.

Thanks for that idea.

Hey,

Isabelle is right I did make a home made pump, it was not unsuccessful and as an introduction to pumps and the sucking sensation its a good thing to try because breast pumps are not for everyone, some people really hate how it feels or the results.

At the time of making my DIY pump I was in a situation where I couldn't buy a pump but things have changed and I have now bought a noogleberry and I love it, I would never go back although I used my home made pump for a long time, 6 months I think.

The biggest difference is comfort and really having the tools for the job. I used deep plastic pudding bowls for domes, there’s a photo on my program page I think, but the rims really hurt. I tried some things to correct that but it didn’t really work I would loose suction. And the hand pump with the noogleberry system is just really convenient. I am talking about noogleberry because that’s the only system I have experience of but I’m sure it’s a similar thing with other systems, the right tools for the job makes the whole thing easier. I found the DIY pump a bit of a chore really.

If your in a situation where you cant buy a pump or are unsure if it’s the thing for you, I would say have a go at building it yourself, you don’t really have a lot to loose. Also all the parts are really cheap to buy and if its not for you the bowls you buy can always be put to good use elsewhere. (I use mine for hair dye now). but if you are quite sure its the way you want to go them maybe save yourself some time and get a real pump system.

The topic of build your own comes up regularly so if you give it a go, share your creations and problem solving.

good luck.

I found one on Amazon for $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Female-Breast-Nipple-Pump/dp/B000XS58HO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1327428719&sr=8-7

It's basically the same thing, right? I think they have a double one for around $30 too. I imagine it would work just as well as the expensive models as long as the suction is there.

Edit: Here's the double one on ebay for $21: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMP-Size-Matters-Pink-Breast-Pump-Enlargement-Enhancement-Kit-Suction-Cups-Bulb-/350507841958?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5840880998689846921

(24-01-2012, 07:14 PM)ghs Wrote:  I found one on Amazon for $10.

http://www.amazon.com/Pink-Female-Breast-Nipple-Pump/dp/B000XS58HO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1327428719&sr=8-7

It's basically the same thing, right? I think they have a double one for around $30 too. I imagine it would work just as well as the expensive models as long as the suction is there.

Edit: Here's the double one on ebay for $21: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMP-Size-Matters-Pink-Breast-Pump-Enlargement-Enhancement-Kit-Suction-Cups-Bulb-/350507841958?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5840880998689846921

Yes I had something similar to that only the domes were clear plastic. The domes cracked easily, tried to coat the replacement ones I ordered with a clear epoxy and that helped some. I haven't gone to pick up the pump yet. Over the weekend I came down with a head cold and my nose ran all weekend. Went though a 240 count tissue box. Nose stopped running but will wait a few days and see how I feel.

Hi ghs, I also saw that one too, just wondering whether the quality of the domes were strong enough or not. Also the thing about these ones is that when your breasts out grow them, there is not a replacement dome that you can upgrade to.

But I'm also quite interested in trying one to see if pumping is the way to go or not before spending more on a NB.

If anyone has tried this one before and had results, it'd definitely be worth hearing about since it is just a fraction of the price of NB.

(25-01-2012, 12:07 AM)little mandarins Wrote:  Hi ghs, I also saw that one too, just wondering whether the quality of the domes were strong enough or not. Also the thing about these ones is that when your breasts out grow them, there is not a replacement dome that you can upgrade to.

But I'm also quite interested in trying one to see if pumping is the way to go or not before spending more on a NB.

If anyone has tried this one before and had results, it'd definitely be worth hearing about since it is just a fraction of the price of NB.

That's what's making me hesitate... For all I know I could already be too big for those domes! I don't like how they don't list the sizes.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon