Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Maca can make you sick?

I had been taking maca pills sporadically and noticed it made me much more... lustfulTongue. However, after noticing this, I started having isolated vomiting episodes over the course of over 2 months. The first time this happened, I thought it was from the intense pain I was having on the first day of my period, but all the other times were not during my period. I went to the doctor and they found I have a complex ovarian cyst, which I'm not sure if it may be the cause of the vomiting. So, did the maca mess up my hormones and give me a cyst? I noticed one time immediately after taking it, I got sick. I must also mention I have tuberous breasts, if that is any indication of my hormonal status. Any ideas what was going on?Huh

Hi tempestuous,

The tubular breast probably means you had cysts, or even PCOS, before maca. It also means estrogen dominance, and with maca, that will cause nausea and insomnia. I had it once after too much maca with too little fenugreek.

Thank you, Isabelle. It is a blessing to have you on the forums. I have one more question though- why does maca cause nausea in someone who is estrogen dominant?

Hi tempestuous,

Maca increases estrogens even more, and it's the estrogens dominance that causes the nausea. Think first trimester of pregnancy.

I didn't have nausea, but after 4 days of being on it with constant migraines, I had to stop taking it...

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon