Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica???

Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane?
November 25 2009 at 7:30 AM Paloma (no login)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know what the difference between Pueraria Lobata and Pueraria Mirifica is? I've been taking the lobata for about a month now, assuming they were the same thing. I suspect I've been a total idiot for that one.

Also - what is the best source of PM, if PL is not acceptable?? I was thinking about ordering from Herbal Organics, but the frustrating part is that there seems to be no way to tell if the product you're getting is really organic/pure/potent, and by what standards.

Any feedback? Jane, I defer to you as our resident expert, but would love to hear from any and everyone with their two cents.

Thank youuuuuuuus!

Author Reply
Mandy
(no login) Nonsence November 25 2009, 11:20 AM

How can Jane be a resident expert when she only made a handful of negative comments about PM?

carla
(no login) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 25 2009, 1:11 PM

Pueraria Lobata is far different than Pueraria Mirifica. You can read about on the internet. Its not what your looking for. The farmed pueraria mirifica is much better with consistent efficacy vs wild. Pueraraprem is very good.

Tiran1
(Login Tiran1) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 26 2009, 8:17 AM

Hi,
not sure but I think PL= kudzu, not the same as Pueraria Mirifica as in St Herb for example....
However, I have a book Flat to Fab about NBE, and kudzu is mentioned there as one of the NBE herbs.

Philli
(no login) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 26 2009, 8:29 AM

Hello. Unfortunately you got the totally wrong product. Here's a quote from Wikipedia: The Harvard Medical School is studying kudzu (Pueraria Lobata) as a possible way to treat alcoholic cravings, by turning an extracted compound from the herb into a medical drug. The mechanism for this is not yet established, but it may have to do with both alcohol metabolism and the reward circuits in the brain.

Kudzu also contains a number of useful isoflavones, including daidzein (an anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial agent). Daidzin is a cancer preventive and genistein (an antileukemic agent). Kudzu is a unique source of the isoflavone puerarin. Kudzu root compounds can affect neurotransmitters (including serotonin, GABA, and glutamate.) It has shown value in treating migraine and cluster headache. It is recommended for allergies and diarrhea.

Research in mice models suggests that kudzu is beneficial in women for control of some post-menopausal symptoms, such as hypertension and diabetes type II.

In traditional Chinese medicine, where it is known as g¨¦ g¨¥n (Chinese: ¸ð¸ù), kudzu is considered one of the 50 fundamental herbs. It is used to treat tinnitus, vertigo.

Pueraria Mirifice grows only in Northern Thailand and it is the native soil that gives it its unique properties. Cultivated PM, such as that from Ainterol, is not grown in that region and lacks the natural breast growth ingredients found in the genuine product. I suggest you purchase it in Ebay, direct from a Thailand seller..You know its genuine and the price is right. The 300mg capsules are probably the best. You can purchase them in 100s or 300s. 2 a day and you should see some positive results after about a month or so.

christa
(no login) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 26 2009, 1:50 PM

The stuff on ebay coming directly from Thailand is the lowest quality junk you can by.

Philli1
(Login Philli1) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 27 2009, 5:23 PM

Christa, Just because you cannot read the writing on the bottle does not mean that it is some asiatic plot to poison you. It may interest you to know that original PM ONLY grows in Thailand including the stuff that Bella sells for 54 cents a tablet and only costs 3 cents a tablet if you buy it from Thailand. But, Bella repackages it and gives instructions in English so it must be worth it. How difficult can it be to read through the Ad on Ebay and understand...'take two tablets a day'. The price of being paranoid is high.

GoldSnowflake
(Login GoldSnowflake)
EVE MEMBERS Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 27 2009, 5:43 PM

First off, if anyone of you had even tried Bella's, you would know her's are capsules, pink actually that match her labels and Web page and such. So its not caplets. So she obviously buys it from the many companies that sell in bulk and does the packaging herself. Second of all, its 3 capsules per day, not 2 and the 3 thing is her prices aren't any higher than any other American company. And if any of you had actually tried her product you would know that they actually have just as good of shot at working than any other product if not better. How don't know where you get off bashing a product or line when you haven't even tried it. Its really no wonder the older members with the hands on experience and results have left this forum, it certainly does get alittle tiring reading misinformed threads.

Philli1
(Login Philli1) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 27 2009, 7:41 PM

Goldsnowflake, dont get all upset. I'm simply trying to point out what doesn't seem to be apparent to most readers/users of PM. It only grows in the soil of Northern Thailand. It's the nutrients in the soil that give it its properties. As regards Bella....It doesn't matter what colour she makes the casing of her capsules, it's whats inside that matters. She is definitely buying it in bulk from Thailand and packaging herself with english instructions...but, why pay $49 for 90 capsules...barely a three month supply....hardly enough to make a difference, when you can buy 300 for $15 direct from Thailand and, at two a day, thats 5 months supply. You can replenish your supply two more times and it still hasn't cost you as much as one 'shot' from Bella.

A lot of readers on this Forum know from experience that american products are expensive and dont work and are reluctant to keep parting with money in a relentless effort to gain one more cup size. Bella's product, of course, isn't American...she imports it from Thailand and repackages it.
But having said that, PM is cheap if you buy it direct and even if you cant read the writing on the bottle, how hard is it to remember 'take 2 a day'?

christa
(no login) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 28 2009, 12:22 AM

I read perfectly fine. This stuff is not all the same i have been to thailand. i guanuantee you get what you pay for in this worlds.

c

Paloma
(Login Palomalove) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 29 2009, 10:41 AM

wow, I appreciate everyone's input!

Mandy - I wasn't trying to choose sides or say that anyone's input is more valuable than anyone else's. I was just inviting Jane to reply, specifically since she says she has a unique background relating to PM, but I am just as grateful to hear from Snowflake, and the rest of you who have such valuable experiences. I meant no offense, excuse my poor choice of words.

Philli1 and GoldSnowflake - The question of where to get the PM is a difficult one for me. On the one hand, I DO trust something in English more, just because there is more info available to me since I can read it for myself. I also tend to think that someone like Bella may be slightly more accountable to us, since she is here in the states, and someone from Thailand is... in Thailand! Prehaps too far away for any authority (that we can appeal to) for oversight, and perhaps too removed to care about a tarnished rep or bad press over here.

At the same time, I agree with PHilli1 that buying directly from an importer can be a vastly more economical way to supply oneself. THere is no reason why a Thai supplier can't have the same (or better) quality, at a much better price, since they are not paying for fancy packaging, marketing, etc., and the dollar goes a lot further in Thailand. The problem is how to know what you're getting??

Does Bella have a more reliable source than those offered on ebay? Is there any way to verify either what Bella's got, or what's offered on ebay?

I noticed Wahaika endorses St.Herb's PM. Does anyone else have an opinion about best sources, and can you please also post why you think it's better?

Y'all rock.

Paloma
(Login Palomalove) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 29 2009, 10:53 AM

OMG I just checked ST.Herb's PM and I seriously CANNOT affort that s**t!!! Heeeeeeellll no!

Can anyone help me find a better price? WOW! Dang!

Christa
(no login) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 30 2009, 12:15 AM

PM is only cheap if it is wild. What's the difference if you encapsulate in Thailand or America.

Wild i still wild.

Philli1
(Login Philli1) Re: Difference btw. Pueraria Lobata and P. Mirifica??? Jane? November 30 2009, 3:06 PM

Paloma, PM is available on the British Ebay site. PLEASE read what they have to say, it gives you a lot of info about PM and its properties and how you should take it.

Note that this is for 300, 300mg capsules...about 5 months supply. They only accept Paypal. If you are a member of Ebay in the US, log on with your US ID and it will recognise it and you can make a purchase and it will be shipped to you in the states. The confirmation invoice that you receive will be in Dollars, converted from Pounds at today's rate. Shipping is usually 7 to 10 days after purchase.

Has anyone actually taken kudzu?
October 6 2008 at 10:57 PM Louise (Login Louise1982)
Just interested as it's a relation of PM and has a higher isoflavone content than soy.

MermaidSlur
(Login MermaidSlur)
Re: Has anyone actually taken kudzu?
October 6 2008, 11:11 PM

I was just researching this and was wondering if anyone else has tried it, too. I saw it at whole foods market and considered buying it.

MermaidSlur
(Login MermaidSlur)
October 6 2008, 11:12 PM

I was just researching this and was wondering if anyone else has tried it, too. I saw it at whole foods market and considered buying it.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
October 6 2008, 11:18 PM

Hi,
Just so you know, the kudzu in PM is completely different from what you commonly find. I forget the exact name difference, but there is one. I posted about this some time back - sorry can't remember time frame of what the thread topic was.

I know for a fact the Kudzu offered at Whole Foods is not the right kudzu.

FYI
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit*

Well that wasn't hard when I used the search feature.... here is what I posted before...

Regarding the last post that mentions KUDZU...

PM is not the kudzu that is found growing as an invasive crop in the US. That species is Pueraria lobata. They are of the same family but have different chemical compositions and thus different drug effects.

Just thought I would mention that because when I saw the word Kudzu I immediately thought of the plague of a weed the poor farmers have to battle in the southeastern US.

I pulled this up on Wikipedia:

Kudzu, Pueraria lobata (syn. P. montana, P. thunbergiana), is one of about 20 species in the genus Pueraria in the pea family Fabaceae, subfamily Faboideae. It is native to southern Japan and southeast China in eastern Asia. The name comes from the Japanese word for this plant, kuzu. The other species of Pueraria occur in southeast Asia, further south.

So, hopefully this will help head off confusion -I have seen Kudzu as an herbal remedy in some stores and on some websites.

waxingmoon

This message has been edited by waxingmoon on Oct 6, 2008 11:21 PM

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
October 6 2008, 11:34 PM

Waxingmoon - I know that - lol! Just wondered if it had any useful effect as it has such a high isoflavone content and if you read the info on the herbalextractsplus.com site it says it shouldn't be used by people on tamoxifen (breast cancer treatment).

may
(Login Cselestyna)
October 7 2008, 8:22 AM

i actually posted a thread about this herb a couple months ago, but no one had tried it, personally i think that because it's so close to P.M it could probably work, AND it's ALOT less expensive.

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
October 7 2008, 8:26 AM

I know that one new commercial product contains this herb. Don't remember the product, but it contains at least 1 other unusual herb and soy and hops. I was sceptical when I saw it contains pueraria lobata, because I thoguht they simply swaped PM with it cause it's cheeper, eventhogubh it might not be as good as PM.

Ah remembered now, the other unusual herb in that product is sage. A very strange choice of herb, because it's an anti-galactogogue.

This message has been edited by -Moon- on Oct 7, 2008 8:27 AM

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
October 7 2008, 2:29 PM

Here is an article that sheds some light on the pueraria lobata (North American kudzu) effect versus the Asian kudzu:

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsWh...ta,00.html

From the article:

"The isoflavones in kudzu belong to a larger chemical group known as phytoestrogens. In the human body, phytoestrogens may exhibit weak effects like the female hormone, estrogen. The type of kudzu that grows in North America may not have enough phytoestrogens to provide natural hormone replacement, but the types that grow in Asia may be more effective. In small studies of menopausal women, Asian kudzu relieved hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause slightly or moderately."

So according to the article the North American kudzu is a weaker phytoestrogen - which may not be all that bad - Asian kudzu seems to have a track record of side effects which I find disturbing.

By the way, kudzu has all sorts of effects. The article was interesting.

Best wishes,
waxingmoon

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon