Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Antidepressants and NBE?

Does anybody know how antidepressants (specifically Zoloft) might affect NBE? Is there anyone who specifically has experience with this type of thing? My friend is thinking about getting back on Zoloft and we want to be sure the two aren't going to negatively affect each other.

I can't really say unless I know what program they're following.

For example, Zoloft says not to take with any other mood changing chemicals, chaste berry contains a small amount of a mild opiate.

First, is she taking a good cod liver oil? If she's not clinically depressed, or bi-polar, often that is all that's needed. (It helps me enormously.. otherwise I suffer from mild depression).

See if she'll take 2 TBSP of cod liver oil every day first and see how she feels in a month. For me it was instant, but I'd give it a few weeks. It's also much, much healthier than a drug.

And if she has anxiety with the depression, taking cal/mag every day helps. The cod liver oil will also help with anxiety.

(10-10-2012, 03:37 AM)Suspiria Wrote:  First, is she taking a good cod liver oil? If she's not clinically depressed, or bi-polar, often that is all that's needed. (It helps me enormously.. otherwise I suffer from mild depression).

See if she'll take 2 TBSP of cod liver oil every day first and see how she feels in a month. For me it was instant, but I'd give it a few weeks. It's also much, much healthier than a drug.

And if she has anxiety with the depression, taking cal/mag every day helps. The cod liver oil will also help with anxiety.

She...is both clinically depressed and bipolar... :/ Which is why she's even willing to turn to Zoloft, especially since without health insurance it's going to cost her a LOT each month. This is like her last resort. She's even tried a bunch of amino acids and vitamins that are supposed to help, but even those aren't working for her.

She's on a plan similar to mine: Saw palmetto, red clover, fenugreek and progesterone cream. She's also taking Gro-bust, too. Although as cheap as I'm discovering PM is, she might just end up switching to that...ESPECIALLY if she has to shell out a bunch of money each month for antidepressants...

I am unaware of any chemical constituents in any of those herbs that would be contraindicated for use together with Zoloft.

Gro-bust I don't know what the ingredients are.

As a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor Zoloft increases serotonin. It also has a small effect on dopamine so unlike other antidepressents it might not lower dopamine after a long period of time.

Instead she might look into a large amount of noni powder, maybe 3 tsp. per day, and a small amount of mucuna pruriens for a little dopamine, maybe 500 mg or 1/2 tsp. per day, and 500 mg L-tryptophan and iron for serotonin synthesis. Use caution if taking L-tryptophan in combination with an SSRI because the combination might lead to too much serotonin.

An SSRI and NBE are unlikely to affect eachother. A prolactin activating herb could lower dopamine and vis versa. Out of the above only fenugreek might raise prolactin and only if her levels are already high. It's best to check with a doctor of course but I don't see a problem.

I am on Citalopram/Celexa. I don't think it will affect breast growth, but now I've only tried two creams with volufiline and pm pills (which I quit because I believed they made me gain weight). So I can't really say anything about it; I'm planning to start with herbal creams soon.

Thanks everyone, she's probably going to get on Zoloft eventually then. Smile She's still trying other things in the meantime, but unless something works before she actually gets on Zoloft, then I guess that's what she'll be taking.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon