Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Maca - the famous side effect is true!

(03-06-2011, 10:38 PM)Isabelle Wrote:  @Nikki,

Don't worry about testosterone if you take enough saw palmetto. That will keep the testosterone from being converted to DHT, and the excess will just react to estrogen, which is what you want. Only - how much SP is enough? Most people take about 600, but Wahaika suggests 3000 mg. Anyone?

I was taking 1800mg SP daily for 8 months, along with PM. It certainly reduced " male function" almost to zero, it also slowed/thinned body hair growth and possibly slowed facial hair growth.
I stopped both SP and PM for a month and within 2 weeks had lost at least an inch in boob size ( fat build-up lost) but function came back in about the same time period and I'm sure hair growth restarted as well.
After a month I went back on PM and after another couple of weeks I'm now back on SP!! The boob growth started up again after only a couple of days on PM but its too soon to tell re the SP effects.

I'd love to build up the bottom half as well, and I'm considering Maca but, like others, I'm concerned about adding testosterone back.

Most scientific publications found 1500 mg per day inactive, and 3000 mg effective. I found a text recommending 2 or 3 times higher, though:

http://www.breastnexus.com/showthread.php?tid=8419&pid=30192&highlight=maca#pid30192

Maca is a food crop, so high doses should be no problem. But they may be for NBE. Too much is usually worse than too little, right? Has anybody tried doses like this?

Isabelle, what do you suggest is a good dosage for Maca then? I believe I was taking 2 x 500 mg (I don't remember now, because I didn't make note of it in my diary, wish I did), that's 1050 mg total for a day. I ran out a couple weeks ago and need to buy more, but I can't decide what kind of dosage to buy and where to buy- I've been looking at Swanson's because the health store I bought at before was expensive. I haven't seen anyone here taking maca in such high doses, but I haven't been around lately to keep up with that. It seems like the smaller doses are actually doing something, though, rather than nothing, as some of us can attest to bigger butts Big Grin

Also, I recall reading somewhere (argh I wish I could find it, I've been looking all over!) about how only a certain type of maca should be taken otherwise it's too weak? Something to do with the peruvian kind, selenium, and a ratio.

Hi Nyx,

Happy to read that you are among the proud and lucky ones Big Grin I suggest a ramp up to where you feel tingles around your hips, or else stop at 3000 mg. In time, you could take it up to 4000 mg.

I bought powder from Mattisson (did't try it yet, I'm on a break):
"Active Maca powder BIO", from Mattisson Healthcare, 300 grammes for € 16,95
at www.vanderpigge.nl
This is a trusted herb shop. The only maca they sell are pure maca supplements. I would't worry too much about sales talk promoting maca supplements that have a magical ratio with selenium or other chemicals. Maybe L-tyrosine if you already have a slow thyroid.

Happy bubbling Wink

Nutritional fact sheets like this one
http://www.peruvianheritage.com/en/maca_...a_ing.html
indeed mention the high selenium content, and the ideal ratio of 0.76 saturated to unsaturated fat. But those are properties of the maca root itself, so any decent maca supplement will do. Almost all maca is peruvian, it only grows there and in two neighboring countries.

Be careful with the dosage if you use an extract: it may be concentrated 4:1 or 6:1. In that case, divide the dose you would normally take by 4 or by 6. Then 1000 mg is indeed enough.

Oh! The last bit you were talking about with the ratios 4:1 or 6:1 is what I was referring to, but I haven't heard about how you're supposed to divide the dose. Or maybe I did but it didn't make sense to me at the time.The maca I'm looking at is 4:1, but I can't seem to find what the ratio was for the other brand I had been taking. Well, anyway, thank you!

Hello all, after reading this post and many other sights on Maca, I decided to start it with my natural hormone replacement. I lost tons of weight this year and now, I've lost my boobs and my arse! I am willing to try maca to see if it does actually work and I've started on my second capsule for the day. Crossing my fingers!
Thumbs Down 

Big Grin ive been on maca since march took 2 breaks...my.butt went from a 38 to 42..no jokeBig Grin i started off at 2 a day and every week increased by 1 pill til i got up to 6 aday..no more than that tho!Shy how can i get my boobs bigger???Sad maca helped me go from a c to a small d...id like a full d with a lil more firmnessBlush i just started on fenugreek...will this helpHuh

Hi Prettymamma and welcome,

Does that not suck that the herbs could work like that one for the boobs..go figure..but speaking of the butt it would be nice to have a nice one...now is yours firm and not fatty well what I mean is does it look like you worked out and have a butt that guys would say dam nice...and did it effect your thighs ...bottom line did it effect you in a good butt growth or cellulite city...that is my big fear cause I already have some and working out to help it..which is working so far..dam hard to work those glutes and hams..grrrrrrrrrrrr..well for me it is..

Welll it DID NOT give me the big CWink lol but my butt sticks out more! Ill admit i do need to work out more!Blush um my thighs have gotten a bit thicker...i wanted that tho cuz i didnt want chicken thighsShy hope i answerd ur qs..o btw i could email u progress pics if u want...jus give me.ur email...

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon