Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Crazy mood swings and the Pill

Just wondering if anyone here is/was on any birth control and can suggest something better for me. I've noticed that these past couple months, my mood swings have made me feel like I'm going insane, in conjunction with my birth control pill cycle (it'll start happening about a week before my period). It's really putting a huge strain on my relationship with...well, everyone. I think I've scared all my friends away and I can tell my boyfriend is getting annoyed with my behavior. One minute I'm going off like a homicidal maniac and the next I'm about to swallow a bottle of pills or drive off a bridge, and I mean this VERY literally. I can't take it anymore Sad

Is it the hormones? Are there any good, non-hormonal birth controls besides condoms/pulling out? I'm considering getting Paragard IUD but I'm scared after reading a bunch of horror stories lol

I've taken Ortho Tri-Cyclen for years with no issues, after I had my son they put me on the Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. It's suppose to have low hormone levels in it, have you tried it? Not sure what Paragard IUD is though. I hope it works out for you though hun, maybe you should stop taking whatever pill you are taking now, let it get out of your system and contact your doctor and see what they say?

Hmm, well i was on Ortho Tri Cyclen when I first started birth control and that worked just fine except I had no sex drive. I wonder if me taking Maca right now would fix that if I got back on that brand?

Paragard is a brand of Intra-Uterine Device (IUD) that has no hormones and is like a tiny T-shaped, flexible...thing with a copper wire coiled inside. It's supposed to be very popular outside the US, but it would be a last resort for me, because I'm really scared of the pain of insertion and if my body rejects it, since I've never had kids and I'm only 20.

oh I think I've heard of that, and I believe it can cause infertility also, so if you want to have kids in the future that might not be a good idea. I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen since I was 13, originally to balance my periods out, I was put on the Lo version after giving birth to my son.

Hey Nyx, considering you started the pills after already being on your herbal program it may have taken you over that fine line of hormone balance. You originally were taking herbs in accordance to what your body could handle in it's natural state, the BC added a new amount into the mix and bang. What you're describing sounds like it took your estrogen into that "Hi, my names Sybil, which personality would you like to speak to?" range, known as estrogen dominance. It's the most common complaint because it's extreme enough to really get a persons attention to realize something has gone wrong. All the swings that come with it always follow yur cycle, in this case your artifically created BC cycle. The problem is at this point with each surge of estrogen or suppression of progesterone that naturally occurs during your cycle, it will effect your natural hormone production more and more and just add to what is going on.

You may want to take a break with a good cleanse to help get some of the excess that has been building in your liver cleared out. If the moods are extreme enough that you feel you need help fast you can run to walmart and in the vitamin section look for a menopause cream they carry in a jar with a pink label, It may be in a small box, but it's the only progesterone cream they carry to my knowledge and is a pretty decent progesterone cream. Go light on your dosing though until you see if it will help smooth things out or not. Too much progesterone cream can cause mood swings just as easily as too much estrogen, so tread lightly. If you do, it may be early enough in the hormone surge to get it fixed pretty quick if you're lucky.

Even if you decide to stop the BC, it may still take some time and work to get things smoothed back out again. Hormone balance is a fickle thing to say the least. Hope you can get it fixed quickly, I know first hand how it feels, after going through it myself several years ago.

Mel

I was thinking of just taking a break from birth control and not refilling my prescription. I'll probably be fine now since I had my last pill a couple days ago and am on my period now. Any suggestions on a good cleanse? I don't know where to start.

Most gals on here use just a simple milk thistle cleanse to help clear out any build up. It's pretty cheap to get. You can go with straight milk thistle or choose any number of liver cleanses that combine it with things such as dandelion and other good liver supporting herbs.

Mel

I am using Liver Detoxifier & Regenerator, it contains all the ingredients that Mel mention and many more. Just drink plenty of water when you are in it.

Nyx, I wouldn´t recommend the T IUD, I had one some years ago (they´re used a lot where I live by women after they´ve given birth because it´s easier to insert them then) but had it removed because I couldn´t get used to it. It just hurt, perhaps I´m too sensitive because everything was alright. But I had a very bad time with it.
Finally, I was told by a doctor they don´t use the T in several countries because of the risk of clogging in the falopian tubes (I think it´s called), that can eventually get you sterile. So then he removed the one I had and it was like an instant relieve.
Now you wouldn´t necesarily have pain if you get a T, but I would strongly recommend to wait with that until after you´ve had all the kids you want to have, no need to take unnecesary risks!
Good luck Heart

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon