Postmenopause <100

Mine33.1

Testosterone range: 0.29-167
Mine: 0.98

Free Androgen Index range: 0.2-7.1
Mine: 2.03

Prolactin range: 102-496
Mine: 888

sorry girls. dont know why the post looks so weird. i typed in word file and formatted before posting. hope you all can understand.

so there is a doctor  comment saying: Your sex hormones are all roughly within normal limits although without knowing the timing of your last menstrual period I cannot be any more specific.

but i did fill in my last period date anywaysss he then also said: 

You have a high prolactin level. A common cause for this is stress and some medications. If you are experiencing issues such as headache, problems with your eyesight or the unexpected production of milk from the breasts then this result should be discussed with your GP.

i dont know if that was my computer or the forum. my reply got split into two Sad" alt="Sad" title="Sad">

anyways i dont have the above mentioned symptoms but with high prolactin level so i guess its because i do breast massage?

because i saw a post somewhere said that breast massage will encourage prolactin production?

so do i need to lower the prolactin level? if so by eating what supplement?

also even doctor said my other hormone levels are normal but my breast are small so there must be improvement Big Grin" alt="Big Grin" title="Big Grin"> Big Grin" alt="Big Grin" title="Big Grin"> Big Grin" alt="Big Grin" title="Big Grin">

i am 29 asian girl period is normal sometimes will be 2-3 days late.

so girls any suggestion on which hormone i should lower or increase and what supplements are recommeded? 

I really don't want to freak you out but your prolactin levels are abnormal, I'm not sure why your doctor's being dismissive about it. I have PCOS so I had to take blood levels recently including my prolactin because they wanted to see whether the cysts in my ovaries were causing my lack of periods/irregular periods or whether I had a tumor on the pituitary gland that was causing these irregularities.

They tested my prolactin because this indicates whether or not there's a likelihood you might have a pituitary gland tumor. Mine came out normal so they were able to narrow down the cause of my period troubles with PCOS. Especially because you have irregular periods, I highly suggest you get a second opinion by a endocrinologist and/or OBGYN (preferably both if you have good insurance!).

j

(19-03-2021, 07:20 AM)jaykay Wrote:  

I really don't want to freak you out but your prolactin levels are abnormal, I'm not sure why your doctor's being dismissive about it. I have PCOS so I had to take blood levels recently including my prolactin because they wanted to see whether the cysts in my ovaries were causing my lack of periods/irregular periods or whether I had a tumor on the pituitary gland that was causing these irregularities.

They tested my prolactin because this indicates whether or not there's a likelihood you might have a pituitary gland tumor. Mine came out normal so they were able to narrow down the cause of my period troubles with PCOS. Especially because you have irregular periods, I highly suggest you get a second opinion by a endocrinologist and/or OBGYN (preferably both if you have good insurance!).

hello thank you for your reply

i will take this result to my GP and ask

is high prolactin one of the cause contribute to small breast

also when i was 18 i had a fibr tumor on my left chest and i had it removed.

I'm not sure, because high levels of prolactin are usually correlated with excessive breast growth (prolactin increases with pregnancy which is why some women get bigger breasts during pregnancy) however I'm not sure whether higher levels of prolactin is directly responsible for larger breasts. Also maybe because yours is abnormally high it may be disrupting other hormones in your body, not sure. Or (and please I'm so sorry not to freak you out) IF you have a pituitary gland tumor it's messing with how your body's receptiveness to hormones. This is all speculation of course, so please bring up these concerns with an OBGYN/GP.

Also, not sure why they thought your estrogen levels are normal when it's below the standard range? It shouldn't matter whether you don't know which cycle you're on because it's lower than the minimum ranges for luteal/follicular/ovulation. Also bring that up with OBGYN/GP.

(19-03-2021, 11:51 PM)jaykay Wrote:  

I'm not sure, because high levels of prolactin are usually correlated with excessive breast growth (prolactin increases with pregnancy which is why some women get bigger breasts during pregnancy) however I'm not sure whether higher levels of prolactin is directly responsible for larger breasts. Also maybe because yours is abnormally high it may be disrupting other hormones in your body, not sure. Or (and please I'm so sorry not to freak you out) IF you have a pituitary gland tumor it's messing with how your body's receptiveness to hormones. This is all speculation of course, so please bring up these concerns with an OBGYN/GP.

Also, not sure why they thought your estrogen levels are normal when it's below the standard range? It shouldn't matter whether you don't know which cycle you're on because it's lower than the minimum ranges for luteal/follicular/ovulation. Also bring that up with OBGYN/GP.

wonder if massaging breast simulate prolactin production? if it does should i stop massage my breast ???

What are the units for the prolactin? In my region the reference range is very different. The level of the prolactin determines what the possible causes are. Pregnancy causes milder elevations, as do certain medications. If it is higher than that range, it could be caused by the pituitary gland as mentioned above. Possibly it was a milder elevation and that's why the doctor said that it might be caused by other factors, but it would be difficult to say without knowing the units.

(22-03-2021, 06:06 AM)cikto Wrote:  What are the units for the prolactin? In my region the reference range is very different. The level of the prolactin determines what the possible causes are. Pregnancy causes milder elevations, as do certain medications. If it is higher than that range, it could be caused by the pituitary gland as mentioned above. Possibly it was a milder elevation and that's why the doctor said that it might be caused by other factors, but it would be difficult to say without knowing the units.

hello,

the unit is mU/L

the suggested range on the report is 102~496 but mine is 888

also my TSH is 4.06 and the range is 0.27~4.2 which i am so close to the maximum level. should i be concerned too?

(22-03-2021, 10:47 AM)pumpitup2021 Wrote:  

(22-03-2021, 06:06 AM)cikto Wrote:  What are the units for the prolactin? In my region the reference range is very different. The level of the prolactin determines what the possible causes are. Pregnancy causes milder elevations, as do certain medications. If it is higher than that range, it could be caused by the pituitary gland as mentioned above. Possibly it was a milder elevation and that's why the doctor said that it might be caused by other factors, but it would be difficult to say without knowing the units.

hello,

the unit is mU/L

the suggested range on the report is 102~496 but mine is 888

also my TSH is 4.06 and the range is 0.27~4.2 which i am so close to the maximum level. should i be concerned too?

That's a mild elevation of the prolactin. Are you on any medications that could cause it? Some of the common ones are anti-nausea medications and psychiatric medications, also motility agents.

Did they check an hCG?

It's possible you have some mild underactive thyroid because of the TSH. Interestingly, underactive thyroid can cause elevated prolactin levels. You could see an endocrinologist, they might do more thyroid testing. Do you have any symptoms of underactive thyroid like weight gain, fatigue, feeling cold?

Not sure about the estrogen level.

Do not know if breast massage can cause increased prolactin.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon