Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Astaxanthin..(for Hannah)

Hi Hannah, I wouldn't stop taking astaxanthin, (btw, I'm always listening).  Smile

In separate studies the conclusion was the same (lower dose astaxanthin did not reduce estradiol). In the first study Astaxanthin @ 2000mg inhibited DHT and lowered estradiol....(btw, who takes 2000 mg(s) of astaxanthin anyways?) and 800 mg of astaxathin did not reduce E2. 

Quote:Blood levels of ES (estrogen sulfate) however, decreased significantly (p = 0.05) in the 2000 mg/day dose group but not in the 800 mg/day dose group indicating a dose dependant decrease in E levels.

That's the important (and often overlooked) part of that information. It's Saw Palmetto reducing estradiol....not Astaxanthin....why???, the study indicates the result is dose dependent, meaning the 2000 mg dose of the SP/astaxanthin supplement (they studied) overshadows the astaxanthin. My calculations showed that only .3 mg of astaxanthin inhibits DHT at an astonishing 98%. 

So right there, the inhibition of DHT at 98% tells us exactly what?.....it leaves E2 to exert domination.....(aka- a pro-breast growth scenario). Look at what astaxanthin does in addition to just inhibiting DHT in this PDF below.

Astaxanthin and Type 2 Diabetes 

New Evidences Emerging from Human Studies 
In an anti-aging study conducted by Iwabayashi et al., (2009), 20 female volunteers with increased oxidative stress burden ingested 12 mg/day of astaxanthin for 8 weeks. Results evidenced a significant decrease of diabetes-related parameters that collectively predict trends in diabetes development. Firstly, astaxanthin reduced cortisol by 23 percent (p<0.05). High levels of cortisol decreases metabolism of glucose, which contributes to increased blood glucose and fat levels that eventually lead to insulin resistance. Secondly, astaxanthin reduced LDH by 6.5% percent(p<0.01). Overexpression of LDH activity interferes with normal glucose metabolism and insulin secretion. Thirdly, astaxanthin decreased the glycated hemoglobin molecules HbA1c by 4% (p<0.01) a direct indication of the level of glucose in the blood. 
https://pugos.in/wp-content/uploads/2016...0.2010.pdf

I'll repost this information from last year (again).
(22-09-2016, 09:37 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Astaxanthin inhibits DHT, free radicals, cancer, radiation, diabetes and protects DNA.. Maybe 8-12 mg is too much, the study demostrated (in vitro) .3 mg was to inhibit DHT @ 99% (type II most likely). I found in further studies that astaxanthin inhibits DHT while promoting T. In other words, an ideal scenario for pro-aromatase (increased estrogen), though incombination with a pro-aromatase. So, maybe 2mg -4mg would be a good starting dose. 

(06-02-2016, 05:29 AM)Lotus Wrote:  A preliminary investigation of the enzymatic inhibition of 5alpha-reduction and growth of prostatic carcinoma cell line LNCap-FGC by natural astaxanthin and Saw Palmetto lipid extract in vitro.

J Herb Pharmacother. 2005;5(1):17-26.
Abstract
Inhibition of 5alpha-reductase has been reported to decrease the symptoms of benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) and possibly inhibit or help treat prostate cancer. Saw Palmetto berry lipid extract (SPLE) is reported to inhibit 5alpha-reductase and decrease the clinical symptoms of BPH. Epidemiologic studies report that carotenoids such as lycopene may inhibit prostate cancer. In this investigation the effect of the carotenoid astaxanthin, and SPLE were examined for their effect on 5alpha-reductase inhibition as well as the growth of prostatic carcinoma cells in vitro. These studies support patent #6,277,417 B1. The results show astaxanthin demonstrated 98% inhibition of 5alpha-reductase at 300 microg/mL in vitro. Alphastat, the combination of astaxanthin and SPLE, showed a 20% greater inhibition of 5alpha-reductase than SPLE alone n vitro. A nine day treatment of prostatic carcinoma cells with astaxanthin in vitro produced a 24% decrease in growth at 0.1 mcg/mL and a 38% decrease at 0.01 mcg/mL. SPLE showed a 34% decrease at 0.1 mcg/mL.
CONCLUSIONS: Low levels of carotenoid astaxanthin inhibit 5alpha-reductase and decrease the growth of human prostatic cancer cells in vitro. Astaxanthin added to SPLE shows greater inhibition of 5alpha-reductase than SPLE alone in vitro.

PMID 16093232 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Anti-cancer potential of flavonoids: recent trends and future perspectives
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3824783/

J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2008 Aug 12;5:12. doi: 10.1186/1550-2783-5-12.

An open label, dose response study to determine the effect of a dietary supplement on dihydrotestosterone, testosterone and estradiol levels in healthy males. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18700016

In a new find, Astaxanthin promotes P4 (progesterone)...

Astaxanthin increases progesterone production in cultured bovine luteal cells
Hachiro KAMADA,1,* Satoshi AKAGI,1 and Shinya WATANABE1

Abstract

Although astaxanthin (AST) is known to be a strong antioxidant, its effects on reproductive function in domestic animals have not yet been elucidated in detail. Therefore, we investigated the effects of AST on luteal cells, which produce progesterone (P4), an important hormone for maintaining pregnancy. Luteal cells were prepared by collagenase dispersion of the corpus luteum (CL). The addition of racemic AST at a low concentration (<10 nM) to cultured bovine luteal cells increased P4 in the culture medium (P<0.05). This effect was attributed to an increase in the ability of luteal cells to produce P4 (P4/cell·DNA); however, the level of lipid peroxide (TBARS: thiobarbituric acid reactive substances) per cell did not decrease with the addition of AST, whose values were similar to that with the addition of luteinizing hormone. When optical isomers of AST (SS and RR types) were added to the culture medium, respectively, SS-AST was more effective in increasing P4 production than RR-AST. When 1 mg/kg·body weight of SS-AST derived from green algae was fed to cows for 2 weeks, its concentration in blood plasma was 10.9 nM on average, which was sufficient to expect an in vitro effect on the production of P4 in cows. These results suggested the potential of SS-AST supplements for cows to elevate luteal function.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5487791/

Astaxanthin Inhibits PC-3 Xenograft Prostate Tumor Growth in Nude Mice
Xiaofeng Ni,1 Haining Yu,2 Shanshan Wang,1 Chengcheng Zhang,1 and Shengrong Shen1,* Keith B. Glaser, Academic Editor

Abstract
Prostate cancer (PCa), the most common malignancy in men, is a major cause of cancer deaths. A better understanding of the mechanisms that drive tumor initiation and progression may identify actionable targets to improve treatment of this patient group. As a dietary carotenoid, astaxanthin has been demonstrated to exert beneficial effects against inflammation, cardiovascular disease, oxidative damage, or different cancer sites. This study used intragastric administration of astaxanthin to detect its role on tumor proliferation, apoptosis, microRNA (miRNA) overexpression, and microbacteria composition change by establishing androgen-independent PCa cell PC-3 xenograft nude mice. Nude mice were inoculated with androgen-independent prostate cancer PC-3 cells subcutaneously. The intervention was started when tumors reached 0.5–0.6 cm in diameter. Mice were intragastrically administered 100 mg/kg astaxanthin (HA), 25 mg/kg astaxanthin (LA), or olive oil (TC). The results showed that 100 mg/kg astaxanthin significantly inhibited tumor growth compared to the TC group, with an inhibitory rate of 41.7%. A decrease of Ki67 and proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) as well as an increase of cleaved caspase-3 were observed in HA-treated tumors, along with increasing apoptotic cells, obtained by TUNEL assay. The HA significantly elevated the levels of tumor suppressors miR-375 and miR-487b in tumor tissues and the amount of Lactobacillus sp. and Lachnospiraceae in mice stools, while there was no significant difference between LA and TC groups. These results provide a promising regimen to enhance the therapeutic effect in a dietary supplement manner.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5367023/

J Herb Pharmacother. 2005;5(1):17-26.
A preliminary investigation of the enzymatic inhibition of 5alpha-reduction and growth of prostatic carcinoma cell line LNCap-FGC by natural astaxanthin and Saw Palmetto lipid extract in vitro.
Anderson ML1.
Abstract

Inhibition of 5alpha-reductase has been reported to decrease the symptoms of benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) and possibly inhibit or help treat prostate cancer. Saw Palmetto berry lipid extract (SPLE) is reported to inhibit 5alpha-reductase and decrease the clinical symptoms of BPH. Epidemiologic studies report that carotenoids such as lycopene may inhibit prostate cancer. In this investigation the effect of the carotenoid astaxanthin, and SPLE were examined for their effect on 5alpha-reductase inhibition as well as the growth of prostatic carcinoma cells in vitro. These studies support patent #6,277,417 B1. The results show astaxanthin demonstrated 98% inhibition of 5alpha-reductase at 300 microg/mL in vitro. Alphastat, the combination of astaxanthin and SPLE, showed a 20% greater inhibition of 5alpha-reductase than SPLE alone n vitro. A nine day treatment of prostatic carcinoma cells with astaxanthin in vitro produced a 24% decrease in growth at 0.1 mcg/mL and a 38% decrease at 0.01 mcg/mL. SPLE showed a 34% decrease at 0.1 mcg/mL.
CONCLUSIONS:

Low levels of carotenoid astaxanthin inhibit 5alpha-reductase and decrease the growth of human prostatic cancer cells in vitro. Astaxanthin added to SPLE shows greater inhibition of 5alpha-reductase than SPLE alone in vitro.

Ok i need to start taking this too!

Thanks for clearing this up Lotus, your informed and accurately researched posts and knowledge on this forum keep us all in check! Glad we have you here to have our backs and help us grow well informed and safely . It's all about safety right  Smile

This is a relief about astaxanthin. Thanks for posting Lotus. But I have a question, and I would really love to get your feedback on it if you don't mind, because I've been taking astaxanthin all month with my PM and I noticed that I didn't get any swelling whatsoever this cycle (and usually I swell well over 2 inches in my bust area every cycle). I'm worried that on my next measurement day I won't get any growth because of this but we'll see. 

I found a medical study where the results show that astaxanthin alone demonstrated 98% inhibition of 5alpha-reductase at 300 microg/mL in vitro. In a separate test, Alphastat, the combination of astaxanthin and SPLE (saw palmetto berry lipid extract), showed a 20% greater inhibition of 5alpha-reductase than SPLE alone in vitro. This study also showed increased testosterone and decreased dihydrotestosterone levels (due to inhibition of 5-alpha reductase enzyme). Here is one link to the study but there were a few others that I saw too: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16093232

Thanks for this Lotus, this takes away my concerns and confirmed this stuff is healthy as I already experienced. Though how could the estrogen lowering effect be dose depentant? Just some curiousity... I do think it hassomething to do with the "thermostate story" you once told us about....lowering t too much disturbs balance with e and our body automatically correct this Huh 
However I did experienced this in a way...I take 4 mgs but when i took it daily jn the past i saw some deflation. I told Bettie too that taking it every other day worked better for me. So i still do that even though the studies talk about a waay higher amount(2000mgs) 
Anyhow im gonna take your tip about adding an aromatizer. 
Thank you again a zillion times!! Smile

Hi ladies,  I appreciate the kind words. Big Grin  

inhibiting 5 alpha reductase WILL increase either estrogen or testosterone...however, T can be converted to E (via aromatase), DHT cannot be converted to estrogen, which is why DHT can ruin a otherwise perfectly good day of gains. What the study didn't mention (about increased T) was whether it was " free testosterone " or " total testosterone "....the latter being less of concern (not active). Free T is bio-active, which means free T can be synthesized by either aromatase or DHT....in other words, don't let free T scare you off of utilizing it for NBE.

@ Zara..I linked that very same study above at least 2-3x . The solution is clear, do not take SP with astaxanthin...or anytime tbh (re:SP). SP inhibits aromatase / reduces  progesterone receptors. If you notice less swelling either back off using astaxanthin or watch what you combine it with during luteal phase (meaning too much progesterone stimulation by other means).

I'm surprised no one commented that Astaxanthin increased (P4) progesterone in bovine luteal cells, @ 156% in luteal cells when astaxanthin was introduced. This new discovery explains why some see swelling when using astaxanthin (per the study) and btw, progesterone is a precursor to estrogens and androgens. 

Now, if free T does bother you drink peppermint tea (it's estrogenic) and squashes free T. 

See, progesterone improves estrogen receptor sensitivity, which (understandably) makes sense that astaxanthin helps to improve receptor sensitivity (as per the bovine luteal study) paving the way for improved estrogen synthesis.

Saw palmetto inhibits cyclooxygenase COX-2 (CYP 19), which is a fancy (scientific) way of saying SP inhibits aromatase......(aka-inhibits breast growth).

(07-09-2017, 12:53 AM)Lotus Wrote:  Hi ladies,  I appreciate the kind words. Big Grin  

inhibiting 5 alpha reductase WILL increase either estrogen or testosterone...however, T can be converted to E (via aromatase), DHT cannot be converted to estrogen, which is why DHT can ruin a otherwise perfectly good day of gains. What the study didn't mention (about increased T) was whether it was " free testosterone " or " total testosterone "....the latter being less of concern (not active). Free T is bio-active, which means free T can be synthesized by either aromatase or DHT....in other words, don't let free T scare you off of utilizing it for NBE.

@ Zara..I linked that very same study above at least 2-3x . The solution is clear, do not take SP with astaxanthin...or anytime tbh (re:SP). SP inhibits aromatase / reduces  progesterone receptors. If you notice less swelling either back off using astaxanthin or watch what you combine it with during luteal phase (meaning too much progesterone stimulation by other means).

I'm surprised no one commented that Astaxanthin increased (P4) progesterone in bovine luteal cells, @ 156% in luteal cells when astaxanthin was introduced. This new discovery explains why some see swelling when using astaxanthin (per the study) and btw, progesterone is a precursor to estrogens and androgens. 

Now, if free T does bother you drink peppermint tea (it's estrogenic) and squashes free T. 

See, progesterone improves estrogen receptor sensitivity, which (understandably) makes sense that astaxanthin helps to improve receptor sensitivity (as per the bovine luteal study) paving the way for improved estrogen synthesis.

Saw palmetto inhibits cyclooxygenase COX-2 (CYP 19), which is a fancy (scientific) way of saying SP inhibits aromatase......(aka-inhibits breast growth).
SP inhibits breast growth! Eek . Me and my bloody pills!! Now I want to add astaxanthin... 

Do you know what the deal with Reishi is? I got some not really for nbe but know there's an interplay there!

If Saw Palmetto inhibits breast growth then why have so many women gained bigger breast size when taking it and why is it widely prescribed by doctors as a form of natural breast enhancement? I've taken saw palmetto by itself and was able to go up 2 cup sizes. 

Another thing i'm confused about is I clicked the link to that study zuri posted and I aslo read what you posted and it both said that astaxanthin by itself (not just with saw palmetto) inhibited 5-alpha at 300 micro grams (you wrote something about at 2000 mg but it says 300 micro gram in the link) which isn't that a bad thing? You're saying just don't take it with saw palmetto, but it looks like even without saw palmetto it still inhibits aromatase (is that right?). And why are women reporting shrinkage because of astaxanthin?

One last thing I don't get is you mentioned something about bovine luteal cells increasing progerteron with astaxanthin but how does that even translate to the human body as a whole? It seems a bit of a stretch from one thing to the other unless you can link actual human studies but I've seen nothing that suggests astaxanthin can increase progesrterone levels in women.

please help me understand all of this because your posts lotus tend to confuse me.

(07-09-2017, 04:23 AM)growingmelons Wrote:  If Saw Palmetto inhibits breast growth then why have so many women gained bigger breast size when taking it and why is it widely prescribed by doctors as a form of natural breast enhancement? I've taken saw palmetto by itself and was able to go up 2 cup sizes. 

What women?...have they (or you) posted their results here?, though if you're a genetic male your results will be posted at Breastnexum, correct?.

(07-09-2017, 04:23 AM)growingmelons Wrote:  Another thing i'm confused about is I clicked the link to that study zuri posted 

You mean Zara right?

(07-09-2017, 04:23 AM)growingmelons Wrote:   I aslo read what you posted and it both said that astaxanthin by itself (not just with saw palmetto) inhibited 5-alpha at 300 micro grams (you wrote something about at 2000 mg but it says 300 micro gram in the link) which isn't that a bad thing? 

300 mircog/mL (.3 mg is a far cry from 2000mg)....2000mg was said (stated by the study...did you not read it?) to increase T, but the lower dose did not...I've said this 3-4 times already in this thread.

(07-09-2017, 04:23 AM)growingmelons Wrote:  You're saying just don't take it with saw palmetto, but it looks like even without saw palmetto it still inhibits aromatase (is that right?). 

No, I did not remotely say any such thing that astaxanthin inhibited aromatase....please re-Read the posts. 

(07-09-2017, 04:23 AM)growingmelons Wrote:  And why are women reporting shrinkage because of astaxanthin?

Again, who?, 

(07-09-2017, 04:23 AM)growingmelons Wrote:  One last thing I don't get is you mentioned something about bovine luteal cells increasing progerteron with astaxanthin but how does that even translate to the human body as a whole? It seems a bit of a stretch from one thing to the other unless you can link actual human studies but I've seen nothing that suggests astaxanthin can increase progesrterone levels in women.

The corpus luteum (in humans) exhibit similar cycles and structure as seen in bovine luteal cells, (google bovine luteal cells). Astaxanthin is a carotenoid, and carotenoids (from our diets) influence progesterone secretion and aromatase in luteal cells....read here :

Corpus Luteum
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_luteum

Carotenoid metabolism as a preparation for function 
http://media.iupac.org/publications/pac/...1x0131.pdf

(07-09-2017, 04:23 AM)growingmelons Wrote:  please help me understand all of this because your posts lotus tend to confuse me.

Ok, I can understand that....

(07-09-2017, 02:31 AM)EllaC Wrote:  SP inhibits breast growth! Eek . Me and my bloody pills!! Now I want to add astaxanthin... 

Do you know what the deal with Reishi is? I got some not really for nbe but know there's an interplay there!

Personally? I won't recommend SP, however....it's a personal choice, if someone chooses to use SP that's ok, I provided the research, I won't take it personal.  Shy

On the Reishi, how can I help you?.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon