Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Herbs interaction with birth control

a birth control thought
January 9 2007 at 5:05 PM emmie (Login emmiedee)

okay, so wouldn't balancing hormones render using birth control methods like the pill and depo ineffective?

for instance, i am on depo. that increases progesterone. if i were to take something that would either lower progesterone or balance it with estrogen, wouldnt that therefore make the depo ineffective?

not to scare anyone, im just curious about it myself...

Erica
(Login em357304)
good question...
January 9 2007, 5:16 PM

That is a very good question to think about...I asked my doctor before I tried any of this and she said that it wouldn't interfere as long as I was taking any Dong Quai...

I'm on the nuva ring by the way...I don't know if you've ever read your drug interactions, I don't know how that works with the shot, but I'm sure there's info on the web...you might check that out...call your doctor if your too worried about it, better safe you know...I'm sure he/she wouldn't mind answering a few questions Smile

mark
(Login sunnyMark)
Re: a birth control thought
January 9 2007, 5:21 PM

hi emmie, i was thinking about this as well but along the lines if it would be possible to use herbs for contraception, like having increased levels of estrogen or progesteron ( i dunno which one is necessary) during the whole cycle to stop ovulation, i think i read somewhere that the reason why people shouldn't use progesterone cream in the first half of their cycle is that it could stop them from ovulating.

emmie
(Login emmiedee)
thats the problem
January 9 2007, 5:38 PM

i just get to go to the military clinic, get a shot in the butt every three months, and go on my merry way... i dont really get to read any interactions or anything...

i do believe depo is progesterone heavy. but do i want to balance or not??? i mean, sure, i dont see my husband very often at all (march at the earliest... maybe not for quite a bit later!) but still, i want to be prepared, if you catch my meaning...

hmmm...

question about which herbs interfere with birth control
January 25 2007 at 6:49 PM Melissa (Login mama2fiveboys)

Hi! My name is Melissa, (I am a friend of Wonderbride's, she is the one who told me about this site) I am 37, 5'2" 120 pounds I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 19 years and we have 5 sons ranging in age from 17 to 7! I have always been small breasted (an A cup) but after having 5 boys and nursing them I basically had nothing left. I have always felt hopeless about my breast size and thankfully my husband has always been very supportive and happy with what little I have . . . but I have not. I would love to run out and get breast implants, it is so acceptable today, however my biggest factor is the money, then the fear of the pain and then finally the fear of something going wrong . . . so I have suffered all of my life with small breasts.

Then one day I was reading my Cosmo and came upon the ad in the back for Bountiful Breast, I immediately went to their website and read if for hours, I wrote to 2 of the girls and they wrote back . . .confirming to me that they were real people not actors! It gave me so much hope hearing their stories, it was so expensive but for the first time I had hope! I ordered the year supply. It took a few months before I noticed anything but after that I started having small growth spurts about 1/2 inch at a time. I have been on the product for 9 months at 3 pills a day along with L-Tyrosine, DIM plus, kelp and selenium along with a liquid protein I can not do the shakes! I have grown a little over 2 inches, I can definately tell a difference, I am still small, I would say a small B cup now as I do fit in the padded push up bras I buy from Victoria's Secret, before I had so much room in them but could not bring myself to buy an A cup at 37 years old! I have noticed much more fullness and roundness than I had before and when I am wearing my bra I even have cleavage for the first time in my life!

All of your stories are very encouraging. I am thinking of adding some of the suppliments that so many of you have seen results from but after reading and rereading your posts for 2 days I am confused about which of these suppliments interfere with birth control, I am currently using the Nuva Ring as birth control pills make me throw up. I would like to add the Wild Yam cream as I saw it the Vitamin shoppe and it was pretty inexpensive also I think I read that Saw Palmetto can interefere with birth control and maybe something else I have having a hard time keeping it all straight, any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated!!!

Melissa

emmie
(Login emmiedee)
welcome!
January 25 2007, 7:04 PM

first of all, welcome! any friend of wonderbrides is a friend of ours...

congrats on seeing results from bb... we have a few people that are on or were on bb and they liked it as well. i am on bovine ovary but a generic form, not bb. my program has a million things in it... you can read my program page! i am on depo and havent had any problems with it interfering with my shot... but to be safe i have switched from saw palmetto to nettle root, and while i am trying vitex i dont even get to see my husband so i cant vouch for that one way or another!

with birth control you cant take PM pills, but you can do the creams (the PM pills wont interfere with your birth control, but the birth control will make the pills not work).

i think i remember reading that wild yam internally isnt good for birth control users, but i cant remember. also progesterone cream you arent supposed to use on birth control...

i hope that helps some!

Erica
(Login em357304)
Re: question about which herbs interfere with birth control
January 25 2007, 9:11 PM

Hi there and welcome! I'm on the Nuva ring also and I've taken saw palmetto and wild yam both internally...I haven't had any problems, nor any children (took the herbs for 3 months and I have a rather active sex life)...I asked my doctor before I started and she assured me that I would be fine...so call you doctor and check Smile good kluck!

Melissa
(Login mama2fiveboys)
January 25 2007, 9:37 PM

Emmie and Erica,

Thank you both for your warm welcome and responding to my post. I was very concerned about that. I am at the point in my life where I am done having children. It is amazing what having 5 children can do to your body! My boys are 17 to 7 and the light of my life but I am ready to spend a little time on myself.

Melissa

Erica
(Login em357304)
January 25 2007, 11:04 PM

I would think that you probably are ready for some time to yourself! But if you're going to start BE get ready to spend a lot of time on it too! It somehow consumes your life...And good luck, not good kluck!

wonderup and Diane-35
March 20 2008 at 10:27 PM tessa (Login hopefullcanadian)

I just ordered a 6month supply of wonderup, and just started the birth control Diane-35. this BC seems to be a little more intense than your average pill, does anyone know if taking wonderup while on Diane-35 will reduce the effectiveness of the BC pill or is there any serious health concerns?

Joy
(Login Joy0025)
Re: wonderup and Diane-35
March 20 2008, 10:33 PM

Hi there, vortex health claims that Wonderup does not interfere with BCPs or any other sort of medication that they know of. At least I certainly hope that they're right because I've been taking WU alongside Dianette BCP for nearly 2 months.. and um.. I really don't want any mini-Joy's running around just yet..! Oh btw I haven't noticed any real change just yet except a bit of swelling but fingers crossed.

***Joy***

tessa
(Login hopefullcanadian)
March 20 2008, 11:26 PM

thanks for the info Smile how long have you been on wonderup for? it would be cool if you wanted to keep me posted on your progress and ill do the same Smile

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
March 21 2008, 7:50 AM

Why did they give you Diane? Do you have PCO / hirsutism / bad acne? In the UK (not sure about elsewhere) they have withdrawn the license for Diane to be used solely for contraception due to the risk factors for thrombosis and stuff and it's now only used to treat hormonal problems. I'm taking it for PCO + WU and not sure herbs have done anything for me but I also have to take other meds which are known to affect the stomach so maybe I don't absorb things well.

Joy
(Login Joy0025)
March 21 2008, 4:53 PM

Hey girls, yeah I've heard that Dianette's license has been revoked but it was prescribed for me nearly 3 years ago when I first moved to the UK and they didn't elaborate on the risks involved. I'm going to see if I can switch to a less potent one such as Yasmin because I'm definitely not all about putting risks to my health unnecessarily.

And Tessa, to answer your question, I've been taking WU for just about 2 months now. Daily, I also take a multivitamin with iron, a capsule of fish oil for O-mega fats, and I'm trying to eat high-protein foods supplemented with protein shakes. I also massage and apply heat before bed because I think increasing circulation to the breast area is beneficial. All I've had so far is some swelling when I wake up each morning but sadly it usually goes away by evening time. I'm definitely not giving up and I'll surely keep you posted on my progress and I'd love to hear how it goes for you. Oh I was wondering how old you are.. I'm 25 so it may take a little longer for me than if I had discovered this a few years ago. Best growing luck to you Smile

***Joy***

tessa
(Login hopefullcanadian)
March 21 2008, 6:27 PM

i asked my doctor about diane-35 in regard to controlling my period better as well as cramps. if hasnt been revoked in canada, ive done some research and mostly what I have read has said that studies done on diane 35 being more harmful than other BC are fairly unfounded. i've talked to a few gynecologists in my city and they have all said they dont believe there is any greater risk taking diane-35 as a BC pill as opposed to other BC. im not a smoker so ill stay on it for my 3 month perscription and see how i feel. thanks for the info joy, ill start taking multi-vitamins when i start the program as well. i hope you see results soon, it will give me hope lol. im 19, so maybe ill have a little bit faster results *fingers crossed* but ill keep up with it regardless.

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
March 21 2008, 7:39 PM

My gynae only switched me over because I specifically asked to try it for hirsutism relating to PCO and she went through the risks very carefully. Obviously all BCPs have the same cardiovascular risks but Diane is more likely to cause a problem apparently. I'm also in good vascular health and have no family history of cardiovascular problems, I've got low blood pressure, low end of the healthy weight range and don't smoke so I was willing to chance it.

tessa
(Login hopefullcanadian)
March 21 2008, 9:45 PM

question, ive heard that its best when your starting wonderup to take your pills and 6am, 12, then 6pm to start, then after or if growth starts to slow, chnage to farther apart time slots. when is everyone taking theirs? any advise on times to take the pills?

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
March 21 2008, 9:50 PM

I think the idea is to space them as evenly as you can throughout the day so if you have 8 hours sleep take them fist thing in the morning, last thing at night and whenever will be halfway between e.g. 7am, 1pm, 11pm. I think in reality most people take when it's convenient, I take mine about 9am, 4pm, 9pm and if I forget a dose I either take 3 or 4 tablets at the next dose to make up for it. I think all these little things won't stop you responding if you're someone that responds well naturally.

combining herbs with contraceptive pills?
September 3 2007 at 2:06 AM RandomLady (no login)

Hello Everyone

I was taking 3x500mg fenugreek daily up until roughly 2 months ago. Now I want to start taking again.

I've read on this forum about possible excessive testosterone being an inhibitor of NBE and found that symptoms include oily skin and acne. I had acne all through my teens and it never really went away, I'm 22 now. I'd really like my acne to clear up and found out from here that Vitex Agnus Castus can help balane your hormones, so if I started taking Vitex, would there be a chance that it could lower any excess testosterone and hopefully clear my skin up, assuming testosterone is the reason for my skin?

I'd also like to start taking fenugreek again and restart my massage routines but I'm just wondering if there would be any point? If Vitex is for hormone balancing, and Fenugreek is for synthestic Oestrogen, wouldn't the Vitex cancel out the effects of the Fenugreek?

I'm basically asking if anyone else has used Fenugreek together with Vitex and had any success, with either clearer skin or breast growth or is it pointless to use them together? In which case I need to decide which I'd like more, clearer skin or larger breasts.

I've also been taking Micrgynon 30 contraceptive pill for the last 12 months, can Vitex or Fenugreek, used either together or seperately interfere with my contraception or have any negative or dangerous effects on my health? I'm just being cautious about the number of substances I'm adding to my system and would greatly appreciate the input or advice from the girls out there who know a lot more about this stuff than I do!

Thank you,

RandomLady

bonnette
(Login bonnette)
Re: Combining herbs with contraceptive pills?
September 3 2007, 5:44 PM

hello

to be honest have been wondering about the exact same thing, does vitex go with fenugreek or does it block its effect.

i have been on vitex for several months and it works well for acne thus i think againts the androgens but not enough i think. i started with pumpkinseedoil yesterday which should have the antiandrogen effect as well.

as for bcp i think vitex is no good with it but im not entirely sure.

i suggest nettleroot or sawpalmetto agaist androgens but with a note that sp might cause weightgain accompanied with cellulite and nettleroot does not work for everyone.

fenugreek on its own with elevated testosterone doesnt seem to work as u have probably noticed.

hope somebody answers our question

Bonnette

RandomLady
(no login)
September 4 2007, 2:53 PM

Hi Bonette,

Thanks for your reply. My biggest concern is that if I take the Vitex then my contraception won't work. I've found a few threads that say people aren't sure wether any of these herbs we're all taking will disrupt the effectiveness of contraceptive pills, I'm worried to risk it. I want to grow my boobs and I was very excited when I heard that Vitex can help with acne but at the same time I don't want to get pregnant! I have 2 packs of Fenugreek and 1 pack of Vitex that I bought last week, but at the moment I'm worried to take either of them!
I also read that Saw Palmetto can help with testosterone levels but I'm also finding information saying that SP affects contraceptive pills.

waxingmoon
(Login waxingmoon)
September 5 2007, 2:09 AM

There is some excellent information about Vitex and other herbs on this website.
Go to the main menu and down to the Information on Herbs section. You will find some answers to Vitex versus birth control there for sure.

waxingmoon

RandomLady
(no login)
September 5 2007, 9:32 PM

Thanks very much! I'll check it out...

Saw palmetto and bcp
October 14 2007 at 11:11 AM KatieJames (Login katiejames)

Hi

I have just ordered a be kit from Greenbush. The supplements contain saw palmetto and I am worried that this will interfere with the contraceptive pill. Does anyone know about this?

Moon
(Login -Moon-)
Re: Saw palmetto and bcp
October 14 2007, 12:41 PM

It is said that SP can interfere with BCP.

Lisa121
(no login)
October 14 2007, 1:51 PM

I personally never combined SP with BCP, and if I did I would definitely use extra contraception. You just don't know for sure, and I personally am rather safe than sorry. Others have combined the two and didn't get pregnant, but I really wouldn't risk it.
There are alternatives to SP that don't interfere with BCP that you could take once you are finished with the formula, like nettle root, licorice and spearmint which you can combine with wonderup or single herbs.
Be aware though that herbs take a while to leave the system, so to be safe I would keep using condoms for another month after stopping SP. I may be over careful but I just wouldn't want to get pregnant at the moment and it can't be good for the baby either to have such a mix of hormones if you did get pregnant.

KatieJames
(no login)
thanks
October 14 2007, 10:44 PM

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
I won't risk it. I'm annoyed with myself for wasting money but probably a small price to pay compared to an unwanted pregnancy. Thanks for the tips on what I could do instead.

Kandi
(login Kandi)
October 31 2007, 1:18 AM

I've never understood these claims about saw palmetto and birth control. I mean all BCPs prevent pregnancy through progestin (progesterone). in fact many BCPs and implants are progesterone only. Some BCPs have estrogen as many women need it to avoid side effects from a hormonal imbalance (too much progesterone can cause a range of side effects).

Basically, you should be able to reduce testosterone all you want and increase estrogen all you want without changing the efficacy of your BCP. So saw palmetto and other natural anti-androgens should be safe to use, unless the saw palmetto is doing something to you other than acting as an anti-androgen which it is known for.

What I wouldn't do on BCP is take anything that alters progesterone level (no vitex, no progesterone cream). If you are on a combined progesterone/estrogen pill, then I also would avoid anything that lowers estrogen, but I don't see how saw palmetto would do that. I'm not aware that it has that kind of action.

Saw Palmetto
November 8 2006 at 11:15 PM Anonymous (no login)

I read that this interfers with birth control pills. Is anyone risking it without any probs?
Looks like a lot of people have success and i'd like to try it myself, but don't want a baby just yet (although sure way to get bigger boobs!!)

Miss Monet
(Login friskyflirt)
Re: Saw Palmetto
November 14 2006, 3:30 AM

Hate to say it, but *most* NBE herbs interfere with birth control -- pretty much all the herbs that hold estrogen-like activity (i.e. Fenugreek, Fennel, Hops, Saw Palmetto, Puerifica Mirifica, Wild Yam, etc. etc.)

Honestly, if you want to try NBE just make sure you use a "back-up method" of contraceptive if you decide to get-it-on with a certian lucky someone. ^_~ LOL I'm not sure if these herbs will have any other negative side effects besides decreased effectiveness; this is actually what's holding me back from starting my own program. Well, that and money. LOL Kinda broke right now..

Anyway, if you're worried about birth control interaction you should probably speak with your doctor about it (that's what I'm going to do). Although, it seems like a lot of girls on the forum are doing NBE while on the pill and I haven't heard of any radical, terrible side effects from any of them... so that's promising!

kiana
(Login kiana2)
November 14 2006, 12:34 PM

I've been on NBE for around 5 months while on BCP and have had no problems at all and was assured by the company where i buy my pills that they are fine to take while on BCP. They contain SP, Damiana, Dong Quai, Blessed Thissle, Wild Yam, Senna and Red Raspberry.

Lisa
(Login Lisa121)
EVE MEMBERS
November 15 2006, 12:16 PM

Miss Monet, I don't know where you read that, but Fenugreek and Fennel at least aren't known to interact with BCP, and I don't think Hops are either, I don't know about the rest of them.
If you google the herbs you want to take and birth control interactions in the same field you can find out.
SP definitely is said that it MAY interfere with BCP, so if you would rather be safe I would not combine it with BCP.
Nettle root is an alternative to SP which you can take safely without any known BCP interactions. I have taken it myself for the past few months and it is working really well for me.
Good luck everyone,
Lisa

Gin
(Login kittycatra)
alt med
November 16 2006, 1:11 AM

Not so sure how credible this is, but my doctor said there was no problem in taking saw palmetto with my contraceptive pill.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon