Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Which Saw Palmetto?

Help (Saw Palmetto Tablets)
April 4 2006 at 6:36 PM Helen (Login Helen_N)
EVE MEMBERS

Hello girls,

I have recently bought some Saw Palmetto tablets. The bottle says:
"36mg extract (providing 25 micrograms phytosterols)"
and
"Equivalent to 500mg of herb powder".

I am confused... Is it very low in strength? (I am worried as I have seen a lot of you mention ~500mg saw palmetto capsules in your programs...)

Or is there a difference due to the fact that these are TABLETS rather than CAPSULES? (Hence the equivalence to 500mg of powder mentioned above?)

The directions say: 1 tablet, 1 to 3 times daily... If it is low in strength indeed, would I be safe taking more? But then again, it would be tooooo low (35mg can't compare to the 500mg you gals take...!) I am confused...

Please help!

Thank you x x x

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
* Keep up the happy growing! *
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Love,
Helen x

Molly
(Login MollyH)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Help (Saw Palmetto Tablets)
April 4 2006, 7:02 PM

36mg does compare to the 500mg others have mentioned because, as you said yourself, the saw palmetto you bought is 36mg extract equivalent to 500mg whole herb. There is no difference between tablets and capsules.

The product you've bought is not low in strength if you're comparing it to whole herb - it is typical strength. But if you're comparing it to other extracts then yes it is low strength. Hopefully this makes things a little less confusing. I think I've seen the 36mg product you mention and it's not very economic - if you bought the 500mg whole herb you've got the equivalent of then it would work out quite a lot cheaper.

Luna
(Login Octombrie)
EVE MEMBERS
effectiveness of sp
April 4 2006, 7:07 PM

The only medical effectiveness of sp that I know about is treating enlarged prostate in men. I checked over and over again on medical websites. Nowewhere it shows that it has proven medical benefits for BE. Maybe that's why wonderup doesn't use sp in their formula. What can I say? Do some more research. Some of the girls in the forum may have good ideas too. Good luck!

Sunset
(Login liquidSunset)
EVE MEMBERS
Luna
April 4 2006, 9:46 PM

Yeah, most people will tell you that. I have an herb book and in there it does say that "long-continouse use of SP over a long period of time can slowly and surely cause breasts growth"

The main reson for taking SP in your routine is not nessacarilly for makeing the breasts larger-its for blocking Testosterone from converting into DHT.
DHT is a very "potent" form of testosterone (NOT good for growing boobs)Most girls who have "excess" testosterone have smaller breasts. (To much estrogen can also "stunt" breast growth.) So the key would be to "balance" them all out.
Maybe that'll help you understand more about why it is important.

~Keep playin those "records" girls! ~
~Best wishes on a growing journey!~
*Sunset*

Luna
(Login Octombrie)
EVE MEMBERS
your book
April 5 2006, 3:32 AM

Thanks, Sunset. Could you please tell me what book you have? I could surely use some books about herbs uses, especially with repsect to BE.

unhappy80
(Login unhappy80)
EVE MEMBERS
re: Smile
April 5 2006, 6:23 PM

hi everbody!
I found some information about saw palmetto on the net. I try to translate it I hope I can;
"Increasing dihidrotestosteron which is an involution of testosteron cause prostate in men. Saw palmetto berries decrease the dihidrotestosteron. people who takes therapy( or cure) hormone should'nt use. Also it should'nt be used with birth-control( I don't know how can I ranslate this word. maby it should be no pregnancy or something like that") capsules. because it causes anti-androjen and oestrogen effects." Some people say that women use saw palmetto berries to enlarge their breasts, increases milk and sexual problems. I'm not sure but I think something in saw palmetto may treat bidirectional or flexible. It increase eostrogen in women and at the same time it increase testosteron in men. I hope it helps to enlarge breasts. If I learn something new about saw palmetto i will write.
Smile love you!

Sunset
(Login liquidSunset)
EVE MEMBERS
Luna
April 5 2006, 7:01 PM

well the only one I have for/about NBE is the flat2fab book. It covers the "basics" of NBE and can be bought for 27.00 online at flat2fab.com.

HOWEVER-I find the basic "herb books" very helpfull also in learning what each herb can do and what parts are used/dosages/latin names..ect

My mom let me borrow a few (she has practically a whole library of them!) I borrowed 3 of them and the one I use the most is called:Herbs that Heal
it is written by Micheal A. Weiner,PH.D. & Janet A. Weiner. I love this book and use it for refrences on different herbs. Another one I use sometimes is called: Herbal Prescriptions for Better Health written by Donald J. Brown N.D. and the 3rd one is not so much an "herb" book but it teaches how to make your own aromatherapy creams and lotions and body bars.

The best thing to probably do if you want to learn ALL about what many diff. kinds of herbs do then buy a good thick book that covers tons of them completely. You can find them in book stores-health food stores and most any place that sells books.

To learn more about the basics of NBE the flat2fab has been really helpfull to me. Hope this helps you out Luna. Smile

~Keep playin those "records" girls! ~
~Best wishes on a growing journey!~
*Sunset*

Beryl
(Login Octombrie)
EVE MEMBERS
Re: Saw Palmetto?
April 7 2006, 12:31 PM

It's worth keeping an eye on prices, as sometimes the whole herb works out better but sometimes the extract can work out better. Although arguably you are getting more with the whole herb than you are with just the extract.

It's also handy if the bottle gives you a direct equivalent, like the example above where 36mg extract is equal to 500mg whole saw palmetto.

Saw palmetto doseage
April 18 2007 at 5:07 PM Shaz (Login Shazasim)

hi all.
i m currently taking SP 125mg in extract form 1 tablet at night along with 500mg of fenugreek 3 times. when i first started sp i noticed pains for 2 -3 days then they disappeared. its 5 weeks now i m on sp but no growth except during my periods which is now gone. i did grew 1/4 inch on only fenugreek a month before. does anyone think i should increase sp dose or what. i am a 32AAA by the way. is 125mg not enough for me ????

IttyB
(Login IttyBittyTitty)
Re: Saw palmetto doseage
April 18 2007, 5:29 PM

Hi Shaz,

Well, everyone's different, but 125 mg is extremely low. Most ladies take at least 1000 mg of SP to start. Look at some other people's programs....you might consider increasing your dose. If you think that a much lower amount works for you though, I would recommend adding one more pill about every week or every other week until you feel pains or see results. But don't max it out too quickly either!! I wouldn't go past 1500mg for now. Smile

IttyB

Shaz
(Login Shazasim)
April 18 2007, 5:42 PM

thanx ittyb. but i think i read some where that 360mg of SP is the highest dose to take in the extract form. correct me if i am wrong. are you talking about dried powdered barries. my tablet says
each tablet contains
saw palmetto extract 125mg
45% fatty acids
equal to 2500mg dried barries

what do you think or is it tooo high

IttyB
(Login IttyBittyTitty)
April 18 2007, 5:48 PM

Oh!!! Sorry!! I totally missed that about being extract. Doh, lol. I was talking about the dried powdered berries, yes. If the tablets are really equal to 2500 mg of dried berries, that seems pretty high to me, especially if you have only been doing it for 5 weeks. That probably explains why you got pains and then it went away. If you start too high sometimes it's totally ineffective--isn't that weird? Anyway. Maybe try cutting the tablets in half and doing one half a day. Then when those run out try finding a different concentration pill so that you can better control how much you want to have.

IttyB

Shaz
(Login Shazasim)
April 18 2007, 5:57 PM

ohh thank you very much ittyb. even i realised that i might me taking too high dose when explaining you about my pills. thanx about the idea i will do that.
can you help me with one more thing. do you think fenugreek and sp are enough. do i need to add anything else to it. i am currently massaging with borage oil+sunfloweroil( i have put some fenugreek and fennel inside the bottles of oils, so maybe the goddness of those tow could infuse ). anything else that can help???

IttyB
(Login IttyBittyTitty)
April 18 2007, 10:45 PM

Yo,

Good luck with the new dosage of SP! As to whether just Fenugreek and SP are enough, that's really up to your body. It's a great first program though. If you're really into it you can get a hormone test to check your levels, then you will better know if you need more estrogen/progesterone or if there's some other thing hindering your growth. Personally I haven't felt so inclined to spring for that, but it is very informative. It wouldn't hurt for you to add anything else to your program, but then you wouldn't know your minimum amounts/herbs that work for you. It could work great or it might not be enough, the worst case being you might waste a couple months. But if you're patient I'd certainly encourage you to try just the Fenugreek and SP. If you're that patient I admire you; I certainly am not, lol. I'm on Fenugreek, Fennel, Hops, Barley, Soy, Alfalfa, Vitex, and fish and flax oil. Everyone is so different. Hope this helps!

IttyB

Hannah
(Login Hannah Gee)
April 28 2007, 7:10 PM

I wouldn't say the extract mentioned above is that strong. I mean it's not as strong as the 320mg extract that some girls are taking, which is equivalent to 2700mg dried berry. The one above is equivalent to 2500mg, so is comparable.

One advantage of the whole berry is that you can vary the dosage more easily, as the pills are 500mg-600mg each rather than for example 2500mg-2700mg each.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon