Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Has anyone done much dry-brushing?

Has anyone done much dry-brushing?
November 22 2007 at 8:26 PM Louise (Login Louise1982)
Has anyone successfully used dry-brushing or manual lymphatic drainage to help weight loss or remove cellulite (I did loads of research on this when I was about 14 but never stuck to it) - does it work?

Reah
(Login Reah100)
Yes
November 22 2007, 9:28 PM

Hi Louise,

I have done body brushing in the past and it really worked for me on my cellulite. I lost a few pounds and my legs were visibly smoother and less lumpy. My skin was also as smooth as a babies. It's another commitment which I can't do at the mo with 2 small kiddies and no time but if I had some more time I would do it again. Worked wonders for me, so really recommend. Good luck!!

Louise
(Login Louise1982)
ooooh lots of questions!
November 22 2007, 9:34 PM

Great - how long did you do it for? Just the thighs or the whole body? Did you use and actual brush or a sisal mat? Circles or strokes?

Lisa121
(no login)
Re: Has anyone done much dry-brushing?
November 23 2007, 3:27 PM

Hi Louise, I dont dry but wet brush, I just use a hard body brush and any time I shower I stroke my body upwards and towards the heart. I dont know about weight loss, but it does seem to help with the cellulite reduction, and I do notice when I havent done it for a week or so.
I couldnt be bothered dry brushing, when I am in the shower I just combine it with the whole body washing regime :-) but I couldnt be bothered doing it extra. I am noticing more and more that really I am quite a lazy person when it comes to putting extra effort into doing these things. Been totallly slacking with the hypnosis and boob massages too since I started working, hardly seem to have any time as I am never much at home any more.
As I am still trying to gain the weight, which is coming on slowly slowly I am not too bothered at the moment, still think that with the weight the boobage will gain too, so I am still waiting and seeing.
How are you doing, how are the boobs coming along?

dunny
(Login lil_dunny)
November 25 2007, 11:53 PM

i have been doing skin brushing for a few months now, maybe 4-5 times a week; takes maybe a couple minutes for a quick brush-over. linear strokes upwards towards the heart, over the whole body (pretty much). it def seems to help with cellulite, although the results are by no means instantaneous.

kieyah
(Login kieyah)
November 26 2007, 9:46 PM

it reduced the fat on my thighs and back of hips that I couldn't get rid of, but when I quit some of it came back again. from what i have read you have to use a natural bristled brush and must be dry, skin must be dry too. I don't really understand why that is though.

Henri
(Login henriettahippo)
November 27 2007, 1:27 AM

The reason for the skin and brush being dry is to prevent the skin from stretching.
There was a previous post on this a few months back. Might be worth looking into.

I will say the timing of this post is interesting, as I had started two weeks ago with dry brushing again ~ I haven't noticed any drastic changes, but have noticed a reduction in some of the appearance of cellulite, and some of my water retention I seem to be carrying around lately has disappeared.

I think though the best result from the dry brushing, is how great I feel after I do it. I can really tell the days that I don't have enough time to do it, because I just don't feel as "alive" as I usually do. It could be all in my head though. In two weeks I have only missed about 2 days.

Dry brushing - skin irritation
December 17 2007 at 9:51 PM Louise (Login Louise1982)
I dry brushed for about 1 minute on the thighs this morning while getting ready for work then for about 3 minutes on thighs again after my Callanetics workout. Now my skin feels itchy, should I put cream on or just try to ignore it?

Double_Ace
(Login double_ace)
Re: Dry brushing - skin irritation
December 17 2007, 11:24 PM

Louise, that is normal if you're just starting. Your skin is getting stimulated and often it takes getting used to skin-brushinn. when I first started out I had the same reaction, and I still do sometimes. It also depends on the hardness of your brush, your skin may get more irritated if your using a hard brush immediately instead of gradually building your skin strong. You should put on some kind of lotion when you're done too mama you don't want to look like an aligator when you're done loL!

hopeful88
(Login Hopeful88)
Re: Dry brushing - skin irritation
December 18 2007, 3:57 AM

I've never done skin brushing and I don't know much about it but I found this:

"Itching" Your Body's Automatic Healing Process
There are many automatic systems within your body including your healing processes. Your heart beats automatically. You breathe automatically. And your body's "Automatic Healing Process" is another. It is activated when your body produces an itching response to the needed and necessary areas. You then will automatically scratch that area, it in turn, turns red with a fresh blood supply and the automatic healing process is under way.

Skin brushing activates your body's automatic healing and immune processes. It is the sensation of itching that cues you to your body’s desire to activate the healing process to any one specific area or region. Itching occurs on its own or during and sometimes following skin brushing and is a reminder that scratching or brushing is necessary. The "Itching Cue" is a vital part in the process for toxic conditions and for tissue repair and recovery from injuries. Itching will occur over a new injured site as well as old ones. This automatic cue to the healing process helps the body provide the best quality of tissue repair as well as helps prevents unwanted fibrous tissue formations. So, both scratching with your fingers or by skin brushing are excellent ways of activating your body's natural healing inflammatory process. This amazing healing mechanism is incredible to watch and to be a part of as it helps maintain or accelerate the recovery of sick and injured tissues in your body back to health.

Hope that helps Louise! Good luck Smile

the theory of body brushing
December 16 2006 at 2:35 PM emmie (Login emmiedee)
so i am working on the theory of body brushing for cellulite and the theory of moving fat (from the armpit to the boobs...) and i think i came up with a new technique that seems to be working so far (i have been doing it twice a day for a week so far).

basically when i massage i either lean over a little bit or i do it sitting down and still slumped over a bit so i get that little roll on the tummy that all of us hate anyway, but i also noticed that i get a little bit of a roll over the ribs right below the boobs and i thought "well i dont want the fat THERE, cause then i would have four small boobs and i just want two big ones!" so i started doing this:

i start about mid-tummy, just around the bottom of the rib cage, and press in and move it all the way up until i am kindof grabbing the boob... on one of the massage pages there is a little video that shows alternate hands grabbing the boob from the bottom and almost pinching the whole thing? well its like that only i start by "pushing" that tummy fat up and into the boobs, then pinch the whole boob to make the fat "stay" there. its hard to explain, and it almost makes my ribs a little sore, but i think it is working on the same concept of "moving" the fat from one area to another. i have noticed that they look a lot fuller this week and may be bulking up (i dont measure until the end of the month!).

let me know if you need another description...

just thought i would share my experiment, particularly for people like faithful and a few others who are saying that the fat is going someplace else... i also bought a body brush and am going to try that as well, the concept being that you break down the fat cells (elsewhere, of course) and then they would be easier to "move" up to the boobs... i figure hey, if i have extra fat someplace, may as well put it where i want it!

hugs to everyone!

diana
(Login Diana1978)
body brush?
December 16 2006, 3:15 PM

where can u get this. in theory it sounds good, and if it seems to be working, even better.where do u 'brush, if u are redirecting the fat with ur hands? thanx and good luck.

emmie
(Login emmiedee)
hey diana!
December 16 2006, 3:39 PM

i hear you can order body brushes online or probably places like the body shop... they are almost like bath brushes like you would use to scrub, except with natural bristles... i just bought a natural bristle hairbrush (watch out... it is scratchy!) because it was a dollar thirty-seven instead of like ten dollars. i think you could probably google-search it and get some answers on techniques and some of the benefits (healthier skin, reduction in cellulite build-up, etc etc)

basically you use the brush in repeated short GENTLE strokes (about five to seven strokes per area) and supposed to do it all over your body. some recommend doing little circles, but i dont like that... so i do small strokes all over, focusing in particular on problem fatty areas like the tummy and the love handles/lower back. i brush upwards starting at the bottom of the tummy and little strokes all the way around, then move up a few inches and do it again... and repeat until i get up to my boobs. once that is done i shower, then after the shower i massage as usual but i incorporate the tummy-fat-moving technique i described. i still do the chi massages and all the others, but i added this technique recently and i feel it gives a bit of a boost...

hope that makes it a little clearer! big boobie hugs to everyone!

emmie
(Login emmiedee)
body brushing
December 16 2006, 3:54 PM

since i am not terribly good at explaining, i copied this about body brushing:

It is WELL known that the Skin is the LARGEST Organ in the Body, and is responsible for one-fourth of the Body's Detoxification each day, also making it, one of the most IMPORTANT Elimination Organs! The Skin is also known as the "3rd" Kidneys and the Lungs are known as the "2nd" Kidneys. TOXICITY can gather beneath the Skin's Surface from such COMMON Influences such as IMPROPER pH levels in Body Soaps, Skin Creams and Anti-Perspirants, plus Synthetic Fibers worn NEXT to the Skin with ANY of them contributing to a variety of Skin Problems and Conditions.

When you do Skin Brushing, you HELP your Lymph System to CLEAN itself of the TOXINS, that COLLECT in the Lymph Glands. You use a Simple Technique to IMPROVE the Surface Circulation on the Skin and KEEP the Pores of the Skin OPEN, encouraging your Body's Discharge of Metabolic Wastes, and resulting in an IMPROVED ability to COMBAT Bacteria, plus HELPING your Skin to look and feel HEALTHIER and MORE RESILIENT! Skin Brushing is a PERFECT Treatment for SELF-HELP Enthusiasts.

Benefits:

TIGHTENS Skin.

HELPS Digestion.

REMOVES Cellulite.

STIMULATES Circulation.

INCREASES Cell Renewal.

CLEANS Lymphatic System.

REMOVES Dead Skin Layers.

STRENGTHENS Immune System.

IMPROVES Exchange between Cells.

STIMULATES the Glands, thus helping ALL of the
Body Systems to perform at PEAK EFFICIENCY!

How To Do:

Buy a NATURAL, NOT Synthetic, Bristle Brush, since it does NOT SCRATCH the Surface of the Skin.

Buy a Brush with a LONG Handle, so that you're ABLE to get to the Areas of your Body, that are NOT EASY to reach, when doing your own Skin Brushing.

Skin Brush, before Showering or Bathing, at least ONCE per day, and TWICE, if possible.
Do NOT wet Skin, since it will NOT have the SAME Effect, because this stretches the Skin.

ALWAYS Skin Brush towards the Heart.

Do Circular Counter-Clockwise Strokes on the Abdomen.

Do LIGHTER Strokes over and around Breasts, but do NOT Brush the Nipples.

Brush each part of the Body several times VIGOROUSLY, COMPLETELY Brushing the WHOLE Body.

Brush the Soles of the Feet FIRST, because the Nerve Endings there affect the WHOLE Body, next Brush the Ankles, Calves, and Thighs, then Brush across your Stomach and Buttocks and lastly Brush your Hands to the Arms.

Take a WARM Bath or Shower, which should always be followed by a COOL Rinse at the end to INVIGORATE Blood Circulation and STIMULATE Surface Warmth.

Wash your Brush every few Weeks in Water and let it DRY.

diana
(Login Diana1978)
thanx emmie
December 16 2006, 9:22 PM

i'll have my eye open 4 natural bristle brushes with long handles. thanx 4 all the info.

faith_full
(Login faith_full)
Re: new massage technique maybe?
December 16 2006, 10:15 PM

That technique does sound ok, let us know if you gt any results Wink

HS29
(Login HS29)
Re: new massage technique maybe?
December 17 2006, 3:43 AM

If you want a really nice STIFF brush go to

http://www.t-tapp.com.

It's like sandpaper at first, but you will get used to it. I think it's worth the $10, plus I think it was included if you bought her brushing instructions for $15. Anyways- I have tried the natural brushes you get from Wal-mart or I think I bought one from Ulta, but the the T-tapp one is awesome.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon