Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Does your body produce its own hormones on bcp?

I've always taken it for granted that the body's production of female hormones is completely shut down when taking the combined birth control pill. I know endogenous oestrogen can still be released from fat stores, and the adrenal glands produce testosterone...but the ovaries are shut down, right? or is there just a constant low level being produced that doesn't fluctuate in a way that would cause ovulation? Hope someone can set me straight on this as it means a lot for what is or isn't worthwhile trying for nbe while taking the pill.

(16-12-2014, 03:41 PM)isobasic Wrote:  I've always taken it for granted that the body's production of female hormones is completely shut down when taking the combined birth control pill. I know endogenous oestrogen can still be released from fat stores, and the adrenal glands produce testosterone...but the ovaries are shut down, right? or is there just a constant low level being produced that doesn't fluctuate in a way that would cause ovulation? Hope someone can set me straight on this as it means a lot for what is or isn't worthwhile trying for nbe while taking the pill.

Pretty much, unless you count the 7 days off, in that case it's entirely possible. I'd make sure you supplement with vitamin C while on bcp, which will increase E2. But don't forget that the breasts and the liver also produce estrogen (albeit secondary sources), estradiol is produced from testosterone via the P450 enzyme.

Estrogens are produced primarily by developing follicles in the ovaries, the corpus luteum, and the placenta. Luteinizing hormone (LH) stimulates the production of estrogen in the ovaries. Some estrogens are also produced in smaller amounts by other tissues such as the liver, adrenal glands, and the breasts. These secondary sources of estrogens are especially important in postmenopausal women. Fat cells also produce estrogen, potentially the reason why being underweight or overweight are risk factors for infertility.

In females, synthesis of estrogens starts in theca interna cells in the ovary, by the synthesis of androstenedione from cholesterol. Androstenedione is a substance of moderate androgenic activity. This compound crosses the basal membrane into the surrounding grandulose cells, where it is converted to oestrone or oestradiol, either immediately or through testosterone. The conversion of testosterone to oestradiol, and of androstenedione to oestrone, is catalyzed by the enzyme aromatase.

https://eaware.org/ovaries/

ok, so based on that, do you think progenolone would be worth taking at the same time?

(18-12-2014, 08:56 PM)isobasic Wrote:  ok, so based on that, do you think progenolone would be worth taking at the same time?

It could, pregenonlone is a precursor which provides the raw materials so to speak, but I think concentrating on enzymes, DHEA, cortisol (balance) blood sugars all help too, labs couldn't hurt either, but sometimes that's not possible. What kind of bcp do you take?, I mean if it's a low E pill you'd still get some E production, despite progesterone.

What the short term goal?, more E production, better synthesis?, Do you feel like you're losing gains?, etc etc.

Here's a illustration on what I mean about enzymes, 5 -ar and aromatase.

it's a normal 30mg oestrogen one. I feel like my hormones are balanced ok on bcp but I'm not having growth (or shrinkage). Just need to kickstart growth! (which i guess includes raising levels in same ratio, increasing sensitivity, increasing growth hormone / prolactin? )

(19-12-2014, 02:03 AM)isobasic Wrote:  it's a normal 30mg oestrogen one. I feel like my hormones are balanced ok on bcp but I'm not having growth (or shrinkage). Just need to kickstart growth! (which i guess includes raising levels in same ratio, increasing sensitivity, increasing growth hormone / prolactin? )

I hear yah, it could be the bcp itself clooging up the receptors, and throw in the extra enviro's and "bam" = stall. Why not try a reboot, a mini detox just to rule it out. Pregenolone could work for you though, GM's not so much, there's so many variables, I think it's essential for GG's changing up their NBE plan throughout the month, a 2 week on and 2 off, or a 3/1 plan.

Good suggestion.

Btw wizzy, you do have such a lovely shape. WinkBig Grin

(19-12-2014, 02:41 AM)Lotus Wrote:  
(19-12-2014, 02:03 AM)isobasic Wrote:  it's a normal 30mg oestrogen one. I feel like my hormones are balanced ok on bcp but I'm not having growth (or shrinkage). Just need to kickstart growth! (which i guess includes raising levels in same ratio, increasing sensitivity, increasing growth hormone / prolactin? )

I hear yah, it could be the bcp itself clooging up the receptors, and throw in the extra enviro's and "bam" = stall. Why not try a reboot, a mini detox just to rule it out. Pregenolone could work for you though, GM's not so much, there's so many variables, I think it's essential for GG's changing up their NBE plan throughout the month, a 2 week on and 2 off, or a 3/1 plan.

Good suggestion.

Btw wizzy, you do have such a lovely shape. WinkBig Grin
aw thanks Smile what're GM's sorry?

Genetic male, probably?

(22-12-2014, 05:02 AM)prettylily Wrote:  Genetic male, probably?

Yes Absolutely, my bad. Or in my case "Generally Misguided" Rolleyes

I'm sure you ladies know about the importance of keeping a healthy liver. It's known that some people can't process bcp-hrt as well as others, add to that an unhealthy liver and these effects can reduce the effectiveness of the meds. Also, oral meds must go through the "first pass" metabolism, which is less effective, so just something to think about, (same holds true for NBE).

(09-03-2014, 11:02 PM)Lotus Wrote:  
General averages of rates/ratios when consuming herbs

Q-How long does a capsule take to dissolve?

A-Typically the average is up to 20 minutes, some sources have at 5-10 minutes while others say 20-30 minutes. Extracts 1 to 4 minutes

Q-What are typical absorption results?

A-For skin application- 60%

A-Liquid- 98%

A-capsule- 10-20%

Q-What is the capsule to extract ratio?

A-20 to 1, meaning it would take 20 capsules to = 1 teaspoon of extract

Q-When is the best time to take an herb?

A-In general herbs are best taken on an empty stomach

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon