Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Maca Journey Buddies!!

Sorry to say it but im bitchey this morning... Im glad im not the only one! lol

(23-06-2014, 07:53 PM)bustybride Wrote:  Just started day three of Maca and it's not agreeing with me :-/ I'm feeling jittery and anxious! Anyone else feeling this side effect?

How many mg are you taking?
Maca may act as a stimulant, so if you're also drinking caffeinated drinks, that could exasperate the shakes, jittery and anxiousness.

And this is for you and Ellacraig: not that this makes your side effects any better now, but I've read numberous times on this site and others, that girls that had side effects, they would only last for the first few days to the first week. Then after that, the side effects would go away. Seems odd, but it makes sense. Your body has to get used to it, that's why they say to start with really low mg and work your way up.

Also, I've been reading all kinds of things about it today and found that there are 3 main varieties of maca; red, yellow and black. And according to many websites (not sites that sell this), the black maca is supposed to be the best for building muscles and buttocks. (Great. I have the yellow. Lol) The yellow is the one that's typically sold in health food stores. I wonder if you guys switched to black, if your symptoms would go away? Remember, the maca is only red, black or yellow on the outside. The inside is all the same color, so don't think just because the powder in your capsules in kind of yellow-ish, that you have yellow maca. You might have to jump on your brands website to find out which type you have. (Bonus! It's said that Black Maca is beneficial for learning & memory too!)

Ellacraig- do not do RAW maca. They don't even eat raw maca in Peru. It can cause all kinds of stomach/digestion issues and even goiters or thyroid problems. The things in maca that contribute to this (the high level of fiber & glucosinolate), and the possibility of the presence of mold in raw maca are all neutralized by cooking it (gelatinized). Also, cooked (gelatinized) maca becomes much more easily digestible, nutrient-dense and even more of an adaptogen.

I've also read contradictory things on HOW to take it. Some sites say to just take it with water, and some people swear by consuming it with food. So, if you guys are taking it on an empty stomach, try opening the capsules and sprinkling it on yogurt or put into a shake or some type of food. That might help Smile

(23-06-2014, 02:15 PM)echapman Wrote:  I just added maca to my program as a hormone-stabilizer and holy moses I love it. I haven't felt the need for an afternoon nap since starting it and when I wake up I'm wide awake, not hitting the snooze!

My butt has grown... much to my husband's amusement, not so much mine since it was already my biggest asset (lol). My pants are definitely tighter in the butt now. Size 9 fits me perfectly across the butt, but not my waist at all. Between the maca and corset training I am going to have to learn to sew!

I'm jealous. Lol. Sounds like you've had really quick butt growth. How long have you been taking it?

(24-06-2014, 09:35 AM)Charlie_girl Wrote:  
(23-06-2014, 07:53 PM)bustybride Wrote:  Just started day three of Maca and it's not agreeing with me :-/ I'm feeling jittery and anxious! Anyone else feeling this side effect?

Maca may act as a stimulant, so if you're also drinking caffeinated drinks, that could exasperate the shakes, jittery and anxiousness.

And this is for you and Ellacraig: not that this makes your side effects any better now, but I've read numberous times on this site and others, that girls that had side effects, they would only last for the first few days to the first week. Then after that, the side effects would go away. Seems odd, but it makes sense. Your body has to get used to it, that's why they say to start with really low mg and work your way up.

Also, I've been reading all kinds of things about it today and found that there are 3 main varieties of maca; red, yellow and black. And according to many websites (not sites that sell this), the black maca is supposed to be the best for building muscles and buttocks. (Great. I have the yellow. Lol) The yellow is the one that's typically sold in health food stores. I wonder if you guys switched to black, if your symptoms would go away? Remember, the maca is only red, black or yellow on the outside. The inside is all the same color, so don't think just because the powder in your capsules in kind of yellow-ish, that you have yellow maca. You might have to jump on your brands website to find out which type you have. (Bonus! It's said that Black Maca is beneficial for learning & memory too!)

Ellacraig- do not do RAW maca. They don't even eat raw maca in Peru. It can cause all kinds of stomach/digestion issues and even goiters or thyroid problems. The things in maca that contribute to this (the high level of fiber & glucosinolate), and the possibility of the presence of mold in raw maca are all neutralized by cooking it (gelatinized). Also, cooked (gelatinized) maca becomes much more easily digestible, nutrient-dense and even more of an adaptogen.

I've also read contradictory things on HOW to take it. Some sites say to just take it with water, and some people swear by consuming it with food. So, if you guys are taking it on an empty stomach, try opening the capsules and sprinkling it on yogurt or put into a shake or some type of food. That might help Smile

Thanks charlie. Wow you know alot about maca ! Smile
I was on day 10 and if anything getting more wired as each day progressed. What i might do is pick it up again over xmas break. That way i can burn off the extra energy which i havent been able to do. Then id start real low too and work up. I wonder why soo many people sell maca raw? I had to import it cause there was none local. Thank you Smile

(24-06-2014, 09:43 AM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  
(24-06-2014, 09:35 AM)Charlie_girl Wrote:  

Thanks charlie. Wow you know alot about maca ! Smile
I was on day 10 and if anything getting more wired as each day progressed. What i might do is pick it up again over xmas break. That way i can burn off the extra energy which i havent been able to do. Then id start real low too and work up. I wonder why soo many people sell maca raw? I had to import it cause there was none local. Thank you Smile

I was only taking one pill, I will research which one if I can figure it out but as for now I will stick to Ainterol PM and "More Milk Special Blend" and see if I can increase bust, then add maca in later. I really feel like I was just taking too many supplements at once...

hello maca girls Smile jess here, i am an "18 year old with small boobies they are jus 30 cm" its embarrassing i got my period when i was a 12 yr old and i don't really think i ever grew at all they are hardly there Sad so, i was looking to grow out using other methods and the internet guided me to maca root well i searched online and got to amazon where i want to purchase " Nature's Herb Maca Root" but am a bit sceptical i have never tried any nbe products before this all i did uptil date was massage my breasts with olive/coconut oil but that lead me nowhere Sad, "so if anyone at all has tried this product please tell me if it has ever given you results and also if maca root is the way to start or should i rather use or do something else ?" i have attached a picture for a better look... one more question maca root or pueraria mirifica which will be better to start with please reply asap thank you Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I personally wouldn't mess with PM at your age. You're still growing and I don't think adding that strong of a phyto estrogen is a good idea for you. If anyone doesn't agree, please speak up Smile I've never taken PM, so I don't know. I'm DEFINATELY not as educated about that herb nearly as much as other people on this site.

Maca might help for your boobage though. I've read it helps more with gaining a booty, but I've also heard it has helped women gain breast size. It helps regulate hormones, so if your estrogen and/or progesterone levels are low, it will raise them to where they should be (which contributes to larger breasts).

Which massages have you been doing? Are you doing them twice a day, every day? Are you using any oil while massaging?

By the way, Maca buddies, I went a couple of weeks with no herbs and no massage. And unfortunately no workouts either. (I had a LOT of stuff going on at once in my life and I dropped the ball while taking care of everything.) Anyways, been back on the journey and started maca (again) on July 2nd. (organic, gelatinized).

Started again with half a capsule (250 mg). Bumped up to one capsule today (500 mg). No adverse reactions. I have more energy (not gittery at all, just more energy), but honestly, I've been drinking coffee in the morning (this could be the reason) and I've been in a great mood all day. I'll update again in a week or so.

Been working out again, upping my caloric intake (trying to gain weight also), been drinking a bunch of water and everything all over again. Easing back into my other herbs also.

for those experiencing maca side effects, are you taking gelatinized maca or raw maca?

A lot of the side effects like the heart palpitations sound like a thyroid issue (hypothyroidism), and raw maca is a goitrogen, that is it inhibits thyroid function a little bit like brussels sprouts or broccoli. the gelatinized form of maca is cooked, removing the goitrogens and letting your thyroid function normally when you take it.

Anxious is definitely how maca made me feel. I started adding it (raw powdered form) to my post-workout smoothies at the end of last year because I'd heard it could help build muscle. The first time I had it I ended up feeling so anxious that I was curled up on the bed in tears with an overwhelming sense of worry and panic. I didn't connect it to the maca at first, so added it to my smoothie the next time I worked out. Same thing happened again. I think I was maybe using too much; I understand it's very potent. But that experience was so scary and unpleasant that I didn't touch the stuff again. I've got loads of it left and maybe it'd be ok for me in tiny, tiny doses.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon