Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Pueraria mirifica. Metabolic activation promotes estrogenic activity.

Metabolic activation promotes estrogenic activity of the phytoestrogen-rich plant

Objective
There is evidence that metabolic activation can increase the estrogenic activity of the phytoestrogen-rich herb in tests with HepG2 cells. Variation in both plant genetics and harvest season may also influence estrogenic activity of the plant materials. We evaluated the influence of in vitro metabolic activation by S9 mixture on the estrogenic activity of tuberous samples of different cultivars of the phytoestrogen-rich herb, Pueraria mirifica, harvested in different seasons.

Methods
Plant extracts were derived from the tubers of five plant cultivars collected during summer, rainy season and winter and administered to MCF-7 cultures, an ERα-positive human mammary adenocarcinoma cell line for 3 days at dosages of 0.1, 1, 10, 100 and 1000μg/ml. These data were compared with the major plant isoflavonoids puerarin, daidzin, genistin, daidzein and genistein and with 17β-estradiol, at concentrations of 10−12 to 10−6M. The test system was done in the absence and presence of the S9 mixture.

Results
The major plant isoflavonoids and the plant extracts exhibited variable degrees of estrogenic activities as evaluated by altered proliferation of the MCF-7 cell line which were significantly enhanced in the presence of the S9 mixture.

Conclusion
Metabolic activation of plant isoflavonoids at least in vitro by S9 mixture plays a significant role in amplification of the estrogenic activity of the phytoestrogen-rich plant. In addition, the estrogenic activities of the plant samples were potentially influenced by both seasonal changes and plant genetics.

Basically this study shows evidence that liver metabolism is needed to release the full estrogenic potential of Pueraria mirifica.

Pdf
References

Very nice Denita, Cool

Thank you for sharing and for the hard work!, what I like about this study is how it's focused on PM being metabolized. One thing I've also learned about metabolism is something called the ‘First Pass Effect', have you ever heard of it?.

L. Big Grin

(27-04-2014, 09:35 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Very nice Denita, Cool

Thank you for sharing and for the hard work!, what I like about this study is how it's focused on PM being metabolized. One thing I've also learned about metabolism is something called the ‘First Pass Effect', have you ever heard of it?.

L. Big Grin

Thank you and it's my pleasure. If it helps then it is was worth it. Smile

First pass effect is when a drug is digested and then filtered through the liver were a lot of the drug is lost before it reaches the blood system.

Second pass is blood being filtered through the liver.

I am so fascinated with finding out about how the body works.

Denita

(27-04-2014, 11:51 PM)Denita Wrote:  
(27-04-2014, 09:35 PM)Lotus Wrote:  Very nice Denita, Cool

L. Big Grin

Thank you and it's my pleasure. If it helps then it is was worth it. Smile

First pass effect is when a drug is digested and then filtered through the liver were a lot of the drug is lost before it reaches the blood system.

Second pass is blood being filtered through the liver.

I am so fascinated with finding out about how the body works.

Denita

Yes excellent, this is as they say where the rubber meets the road, in other words some people have more efficient metabolisms than others, which means a faster/slower effect to processing herbs or other medications.

As we go forward here we will try to share this knowledge and hope that members can fully understand why they aren't getting the proper results.

I post all the info so members can make an educated decision about said info, I don't mind doing it but it's not strictly for my enjoyment either.

Thank you so much for sharing, and please keep going, you have know idea how much I share the same sentiment about the science of NBE. Tongue

L. Wink

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon