Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Im giving up coffee today!!!!! Annnnd ive found

(08-12-2013, 09:30 AM)goldy Wrote:  I've been on internet for hours today. Actually saw a B.E. formula that contained caffeine!! It said, Caffeine's good because it contains antioxidants. Can't remember what formula was called.

well that's a new one!
3 days in now I think, I don't think ive had any withdrawals yet..
ive seen a few women on here comment they had growth after quiting, me its for all round better health with any luck as well as nbe if the theory is correct Smile

Actually Guarana IS Caffeine. They are identical in body response and nearly entirely identical chemically. The biggest difference is only in source. Guarana is found ONLY in the Guarana plant. Caffeine is found in all sorts of places.

That said, congrats on giving up coffee, but it's not really doing you any favors switching to something that mimics it and contains guarana. The guarana is essentially caffeine, and the flavor mimics for the coffee flavor are probably worse for you than actual coffee beans which at least contain powerful antioxidants and other beneficial properties.

(14-12-2013, 12:50 AM)AbiDrew85 Wrote:  Actually Guarana IS Caffeine. They are identical in body response and nearly entirely identical chemically. The biggest difference is only in source. Guarana is found ONLY in the Guarana plant. Caffeine is found in all sorts of places.

That said, congrats on giving up coffee, but it's not really doing you any favors switching to something that mimics it and contains guarana. The guarana is essentially caffeine, and the flavor mimics for the coffee flavor are probably worse for you than actual coffee beans which at least contain powerful antioxidants and other beneficial properties.

Ohhh ABI you break my heart!!!! But thanks for telling me Sad

I was a coffee addict many years ago, but gave it up cold turkey when I developed atrial fibrillation and learned that caffeine might be a causative factor. By the time that all attempts to return my heart to sinus rhythm had failed, I no longer seemed to need coffee much, but on a visit to Brazil encountered guarana. Fortunately it was not available at home, but I used to buy stocks when visiting my brother in Boston who lives in an area with a substantial Brazilian population. In place of coffee I had been swilling quantities of fruit juice until I discovered that it was driving me to the threshold of type 2 diabetes. Fruit juice is not necessarily 'healthy', particularly on its own or at the beginning of a meal. Eat whole fruit instead, and at the end of a meal rather than the beginning. When my blood pressure was getting out of control I gave up the guarana though I don't think that my still limited caffeine intake was really a factor - the research in that area seems contradictory. Getting a single serve coffee machine into the house last year has been a backward step - the pods are a very expensive way of buying coffee and are terrible environmentally, but on the occasions I still get a coffee urge it is far too easy to indulge. Sad

Nice to see you here again, Abi.

(14-12-2013, 02:16 AM)AnnabelP Wrote:  I was a coffee addict many years ago, but gave it up cold turkey when I developed atrial fibrillation and learned that caffeine might be a causative factor. By the time that all attempts to return my heart to sinus rhythm had failed, I no longer seemed to need coffee much, but on a visit to Brazil encountered guarana. Fortunately it was not available at home, but I used to buy stocks when visiting my brother in Boston who lives in an area with a substantial Brazilian population. In place of coffee I had been swilling quantities of fruit juice until I discovered that it was driving me to the threshold of type 2 diabetes. Fruit juice is not necessarily 'healthy', particularly on its own or at the beginning of a meal. Eat whole fruit instead, and at the end of a meal rather than the beginning. When my blood pressure was getting out of control I gave up the guarana though I don't think that my still limited caffeine intake was really a factor - the research in that area seems contradictory. Getting a single serve coffee machine into the house last year has been a backward step - the pods are a very expensive way of buying coffee and are terrible environmentally, but on the occasions I still get a coffee urge it is far too easy to indulge. Sad

Nice to see you here again, Abi.

sorry to hear about you're heart problems. I hope its under control now. I too have the odd "episode" so another reason for giving up the coffees.
it is hard to give up caffeine. here I was thinking I was doing really well when I was infact still getting a form of caffeine on a daily basis based on what Abi has said which I've sinced researched and found out shes bang on! Guess its back to the drawing board! Need to find something that will give a little boost in the mornings that isn't bad for us!

ELLA,

I've been meaning to ask about your coffee alternatives?, I must admit that I gave into the urge over the holidays. Tongue

Words can't began to explain the enjoyment of having that first cup of joe in weeks! Rolleyes

But, I know what I've gained from giving it up has been worth it, total I think was 2-3 cups, eh!

(03-01-2014, 06:58 PM)Lotus Wrote:  ELLA,

I've been meaning to ask about your coffee alternatives?, I must admit that I gave into the urge over the holidays. Tongue

Words can't began to explain the enjoyment of having that first cup of joe in weeks! Rolleyes

But, I know what I've gained from giving it up has been worth it, total I think was 2-3 cups, eh!

Good grief!!! Well if that isn't incentive I don't know what is !!! That's awesome! (re above comment)

Well I stopped albeit very briefly having found out the substitute contained as much if not more actual caffeine that coffee :s

I have however discovered "INKA", I swear it tastes just like coffee! But absolutely caffeine free, that and I brought yerba mate tea *shudders*
For me its a mental thing - I need to know I'm getting a boost of some sort, but I'm really going to try and stop the coffees even if it is slowly (she says guiltily sipping on one)..

I wish I liked the taste of coffee.... its free at work... but no I have to support my own caffeine addiction! I should have bought stock in Diet Dr Pepper......

(03-01-2014, 07:43 PM)Karren Wrote:  I wish I liked the taste of coffee.... its free at work... but no I have to support my own caffeine addiction! I should have bought stock in Diet Dr Pepper......

oh noooo nooo noooo noo that stuff is nasty! jeepers of all the addictions .. dr pepper! eek. I know people hooked on these drinks! its not pretty, you know theres a cola you can get from the health stores and I tell you its very hard to pick the difference. All the bubbly high with the coke taste but none of the nasty stuff

I know.... and add chocolate to the list! lol. I wish the soft drinks sweetened with Stevie were more readily available!... I'd drink water but it taste so.... boring!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon