Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Im giving up coffee today!!!!! Annnnd ive found

(31-01-2014, 07:51 PM)Mistress~Lotus Wrote:  Thanks Scotti, Big Grin

Gonna tie all this together, DHT is OUR breast enemy, also how it relates to SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN (SHBG), Free T FT, Bound T- BT, etc.

Yes to lower DHT drink green tea and eat Pumpkin seeds! Wink
I'm getting confused. In mice, black tea lowered DHT and green tea increased it.

(01-02-2014, 03:29 AM)goldy Wrote:  
(31-01-2014, 07:51 PM)Mistress~Lotus Wrote:  Thanks Scotti, Big Grin

Gonna tie all this together, DHT is OUR breast enemy, also how it relates to SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOBULIN (SHBG), Free T FT, Bound T- BT, etc.

Yes to lower DHT drink green tea and eat Pumpkin seeds! Wink
I'm getting confused. In mice, black tea lowered DHT and green tea increased it.

Hi goldy, sorry, see if the study below helps! Smile

(Mice treated with black tea tended to have a greater serum testosterone concentration (34.4%, P = 0.50) and had a 72% lower DHT concentration than controls (P < 0.05), suggesting that black tea may contain components that inhibit the activity of 5-reductase, 

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/2/516.full#SEC2

Check this out! Coffee's a super adaptogen food, and it's not accurate to label it a drug! Big Grin http://www.raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

(05-01-2014, 08:21 PM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  
(05-01-2014, 08:02 PM)danim Wrote:  
(04-01-2014, 07:20 PM)ELLACRAIG Wrote:  hmm danim you may be right there.
ive just read some conflicting information re yerba mate.. plus it tastes dreadful. il happily stop with the yerba mate!

but peggy after a brief read up on kombucha that seems like a much safer option, incredible in fact.

what can you drink in the mornings that will give you that little boost caffeine does but without caffeine?

Here in Perú, when we need energy we take maca. BTW I´ve think Yerba Mate has caffeine, so I´ll keep an eye on this thread to get a replacement. Kombucha sounds great so far Smile

Hi, so with the maca in what form do you take it?
Just the powder in a smoothie etc? I did think about taking maca for hormone balancing but then read some women have gotten a bigger behind because of it :s
And yes I read from peggys link that the rooibos actually gives an energy boost so il update when I buy some. I imagine now the kombucha might not taste too flash but again yet to be confirmed Wink

I would loooove to take maca if I knew I wouldn't gain weight on it. I don't want to risk it.

(14-04-2014, 09:54 AM)goldy Wrote:  Check this out! Coffee's a super adaptogen food, and it's not accurate to label it a drug! Big Grin http://www.raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

*LIKE*

Ok well I never really gave up coffee Dodgy cause it WAS TOO DAMNED HARD but after reading this I am now confident how it affects NBE so I've found my reason.

SO after Lotus informing me it constricts bloodflow Im satisified it hinders NBE by:

Constricting blood flow
Reducing calcium and b vitamens
Reducing overall effectiveness of supplements given it stays in your system for soo many hours Angry
- GUTTED

What I would like to know is how much caffeine is left over in Decaf??.

Onset and Duration

It takes approximately 15 to 45 minutes for caffeine to reach its peak levels in your bloodstream. Caffeine has a half-life of approximately five to six hours, meaning that it takes this long for its concentration in your bloodstream to reduce by half. So, if you have a 10-ounce cup of coffee at 7 a.m. containing approximately 250 milligrams of caffeine, by 1 p.m. your body will still have 125 milligrams of caffeine in circulation.

Calcium

Caffeine causes calcium to be excreted in the urine and feces. For every 150 mg of caffeine ingested, about the amount in one cup of coffee, 5 mg of calcium is lost. This effect occurs even hours after the consumption of caffeine. One study of postmenopausal women found that those who consumed more than 300 mg of caffeine lost more bone in the spine than women who consumed less.

Caffeine also inhibits the amount of calcium that is absorbed through the intestinal tract and depletes the amount retained by the bones. Studies have shown that women with high caffeine intake suffer more hip fractures than those who avoid caffeine or drink in moderation (1 to 2 cups per day).

Vitamin D

Caffeine inhibits vitamin D receptors, which limit the amount that will be absorbed. Because vitamin D is important in the absorption and use of calcium in building bone, this could also decrease bone mineral density, resulting in an increased risk for osteoporosis.

Iron

Caffeine interferes with the body’s absorption of iron, which is necessary for red blood cell production. Drinking caffeine at the same time as an iron source can reduce absorption by up to 80%, according to the Nutrition Desk Reference. Any beverage containing caffeine should be separated from iron-containing foods or supplements by at least one hour.

B Vitamins

Caffeine has a mild diuretic effect, which increases urination. Water soluble vitamins, such as the B-vitamins, can be depleted as a result of the fluid loss. In addition, it interferes with the metabolism of some B-vitamins, such as thiamine (vitamin B1). The one exception to this rule appears to be vitamin B12. Caffeine stimulates the production of stomach acid, which actually helps the body absorb B12.

Other Vitamins and Minerals

Caffeine may reduce the absorption of manganese, zinc and copper. It also increases the excretion of the minerals magnesium, potassium, sodium and phosphate. There is also evidence that caffeine interferes with the action of vitamin A.

Sources of Caffeine

Coffee and tea are obvious sources of caffeine. Even decaffeinated versions contain a little residual caffeine. Other sources include soft drinks, chocolate, cocoa and some energy drinks. Some supplements and medications, such as those that promote wakefulness, along with pain relievers for headaches, contain caffeine anhydrous, which is the dried, powdery form of caffeine. Dietary supplements sometimes use a natural ingredient called guarana, which is another form of caffeine.

A cup of coffee or green tea a day is not likely to have a negative effect on your overall health. However, in excess, caffeine can cause nutrient deficiencies that can affect both health and quality of life. As with most dietary factors, moderation and balance are key in optimal nutrition intake

Are you giving up coffee totally or just reducing the intake ? I´m not having coffee, but I´ve had drinking black tea and eating chocolate so caffeine is in my system Dodgy

(18-05-2014, 06:26 AM)Ceci82 Wrote:  Are you giving up coffee totally or just reducing the intake ? I´m not having coffee, but I´ve had drinking black tea and eating chocolate so caffeine is in my system Dodgy
Ceci I freaked when I read that. I always knew caffeine interfered with vitamin absorbancy but to find out its in your system for that many hours afterwards was a shock since I always take my supplements 1 hour after coffee thinking that was enough Sad

I found a REALLY good Organic Decaf that tastes like the real thing so unless I really need a coffee il drink that instead. Its funny cause coffee mucks around with dopamine as well and I couldn't breast feed cause my dopamine levels were too high so its all fallen into place.

Not to mention we need our B vits to build hormones among other things. Wish I knew it from day dot!

Hope your programes still going well with Ceci Smile

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon