Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

breastfeeding with underdeveloped breasts

hello everyone

i am currently 30 weeks pregnant.
i have always hated my boobs but i never thought that there was an actual condition to why they were so ugly... so i researched and i came accross tubular breasts. my breasts look exactly like this; empty, spaced out, very large aerola etc.

i am now petrified that i wont be able to breastfeed.
my breasts have grown and gotten bigger during pregnancy AND they have been leaking A LOT! is this a good sign that i will be able to breastfeed?

has anyone else successfully breastfed with tubular breasts?

if anyone has any advice that would be appreciated!

thank you Smile xxx

that is a good sign! I have diagnosed insufficient glandular tissue and stil breastfed, but i did have to supplement about half breast milk, half formula. I never grew much in pregnancy maybe 1 cup size and didn't leak noticiably. there many with tuberous breasts that can still breastfeed fully so don't give up!

(04-10-2013, 06:04 AM)em2727 Wrote:  that is a good sign! I have diagnosed insufficient glandular tissue and stil breastfed, but i did have to supplement about half breast milk, half formula. I never grew much in pregnancy maybe 1 cup size and didn't leak noticiably. there many with tuberous breasts that can still breastfeed fully so don't give up!

Pregnant?? Y'know, I hear they've found out what causes that!

I've never heard of tubular breasts until a week or so ago, but, every woman should be able to breast feed no matter what size they are. Men can breast feed, too!! It just takes longer for the milk to come. If men can do it, there shouldn't be any reason that a particular shape or size of breast would keep you or ANY woman from doing it. Good luck with the baby!! I hope all goes well!! :-)

(04-10-2013, 06:40 AM)Missed Miss Wrote:  
(04-10-2013, 06:04 AM)em2727 Wrote:  that is a good sign! I have diagnosed insufficient glandular tissue and stil breastfed, but i did have to supplement about half breast milk, half formula. I never grew much in pregnancy maybe 1 cup size and didn't leak noticiably. there many with tuberous breasts that can still breastfeed fully so don't give up!

I've never heard of tubular breasts until a week or so ago, but, every woman should be able to breast feed no matter what size they are. Men can breast feed, too!! It just takes longer for the milk to come. If men can do it, there shouldn't be any reason that a particular shape or size of breast would keep you or ANY woman from doing it. Good luck with the baby!! I hope all goes well!! :-)

Missed miss your advice is incorrect not every woman can breastfeed. Its that uneducated statement that causes woman with the following condition to feel guily or like a failure. The condition INSUFFICIANT GLANDULAR TISSUE OR IGT effects roughly 1 in a thousand and causes low supply.

Tubular, widely spaced and large areolas are markers to igt if accompanied with no breast changes and actual insufficient milk supply. 10% of igt moms will have normal looking breasts while 33% with 'igt looking' breasts will have normal milk supply.

The only way to truely know is by attempting breastfeeding.

Leaking is no indication either as it is colostrum not milk both of which are made differently in the breast.

Try not to stress out at this stage, enjoy your pregnancy and I wish you all the best with your bf journey x

(09-10-2013, 03:13 PM)fluffaduck Wrote:  

Missed miss your advice is incorrect not every woman can breastfeed. Its that uneducated statement that causes woman with the following condition to feel guily or like a failure. The condition INSUFFICIANT GLANDULAR TISSUE OR IGT effects roughly 1 in a thousand and causes low supply.

Tubular, widely spaced and large areolas are markers to igt if accompanied with no breast changes and actual insufficient milk supply. 10% of igt moms will have normal looking breasts while 33% with 'igt looking' breasts will have normal milk supply.

Leaking is no indication either as it is colostrum not milk both of which are made differently in the breast.

Try not to stress out at this stage, enjoy your pregnancy and I wish you all the best with your bf journey x

I know there are some women that just can't breast feed, but, the size of the breast makes no difference.

(09-10-2013, 05:41 PM)Missed Miss Wrote:  
(09-10-2013, 03:13 PM)fluffaduck Wrote:  

I know there are some women that just can't breast feed, but, the size of the breast makes no difference.

Im refering to your suggestion the shape or size shouldnt keep any woman from breast feeding and that even men can do it.

Tubular breasts (while 33% have no trouble bf) are a sign of being underdeveloped, development happens from the inside so it stands to reason if glands are not fully developed one may have trouble.

Tubular is most deffinately not only a cosmetic issue.

Well, I guess you've had your baby by now, congrats! Anyway, in response, in case anyone else is pregnant and worried: I have underdeveloped breasts with very little tissue, especially underneath my nipples, they don't grow or change much during pregnancy, and I make plenty of colostrum and hardly any milk. I've had 7 pregnancies resulting in 2 live births and I couldn't keep a mouse alive on the quantity of milk that I make. I don't have any trouble with letdown, my babies latch and suck well, just don't make enough milk. I've tried everything, EVERYTHING, including every herbal galactagogue known, domperidone, pumping before and after feeds, oatmeal, alcohol free beer (something to do with the hops), nursing damn near constantly, drinking enough water to sink a ship and, no, nothing has made enough of a difference to notice.
If you have tuberous or underdeveloped breasts, there is a small, but real, possibility that you will not be able to exclusively breastfeed, no matter what you do. If you bring these concerns to your healthcare provider, they will probably trot out the whole "Size doesn't matter, every woman can breastfeed!" line. So, if you're reading this, pregnant, with severely underdeveloped/tuberous breasts, regardless of size, prepare for the possibility that you won't be able to exclusively breastfeed, there is nothing you can do about it, but you can always combine breast and bottle feeding. It's not all or nothing.

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon