Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

Fenugreek used to work, but now doesn't?

Hiya =)

I started taking fenugreek (529 mg per capsule), beginning with 1 per day and swelled noticeably after 5 days.

Unfortunately, I got really sick for 3 weeks and started throwing up after nearly every meal so I stopped taking them (it was all being coughed back up anyway).

I started 1 capsule per day again. It's been 2 weeks but nothing much has happened! 2 days ago I upped dosage to 2 capsules a day (so 1058 mg per day) but I still don't feel any pain in the chest (like I did when it swelled the first time).

Has anyone had this problem or know what's up???

p.s. I'm 21 in 2 months.

Even with the 2 capsules a day you're still taking a very modest dose. Plus it's still quite early for you too.

From what I've read, 3000-3500 mg of FG a day is needed for growth.

Hi guys!

So I started taking Fenugreek about 2 months ago. A common effect I get is this feeling that my stomach's bubbling and I get gassy lol. I decided to up dosage to only 2 capsules (510 mg) a day, and I got extremely sick after 2 days of doing so. I woke up throwing up and had diarrhoea, and have been like this for 3 days (though getting a lot better!)

I'm wondering if I should give up on Fenugreek. I read up on other herbs and their side effects are similar - bloating, gas, diarrhoea, stomach upset - and perhaps I'm just that sensitive to herbs? Unfortunately...besides the initial swelling...my breasts haven't grown at all from Fenugreek =(

Any advice?

From the programs I've read on this forum, a lot of people take a variety of herbs. I'm worried their dosage will be too much for my body to take.

From what you say you are obviously sensitive to fenugreek, but I'm not sure if being sensitive to one herb automatically means you would have a sensitivity to all herbs. It doesn't necessarily follow.

(23-12-2012, 11:07 AM)Lux Wrote:  Hi guys!

So I started taking Fenugreek about 2 months ago. A common effect I get is this feeling that my stomach's bubbling and I get gassy lol. I decided to up dosage to only 2 capsules (510 mg) a day, and I got extremely sick after 2 days of doing so. I woke up throwing up and had diarrhoea, and have been like this for 3 days (though getting a lot better!)

I'm wondering if I should give up on Fenugreek. I read up on other herbs and their side effects are similar - bloating, gas, diarrhoea, stomach upset - and perhaps I'm just that sensitive to herbs? Unfortunately...besides the initial swelling...my breasts haven't grown at all from Fenugreek =(

Any advice?

From the programs I've read on this forum, a lot of people take a variety of herbs. I'm worried their dosage will be too much for my body to take.

Perhaps you loaded your receptors and liver. Time for a cleanse. fenugreek affects blood sugar so be careful. I took it years ago and grew a pube on left breast! Lol! Perhaps fenu is not for you. Try something else but make sure you know why you are taking it. There are so many to choose from and they all have at least a hundred different phyto chemicals affecting the body.

Most likely it's the fenugreek fiber absorbing water and creating a thick gummy substance. At only 1 gram you must be particularly sensitive to it. You can stop the irritation in any of 3 ways:
1. Get whole seeds instead of seed powder and soak them in water overnight. Then rinse them off. The seeds will be softer and can now be chewed. There are about 3 grams in a teaspoon of seeds because they are denser than the fluffy powder.
2. Make a tea from the powder, and be careful not to consume any of the powder itself.
3. Get a fenugreek extract instead of the whole herb.

If your stomach is sensitive to fenugreek it might also be sensitive to other dry herbs, but fenugreek is particularly irritating. Extracts or tea are an easy way around that. You might also look into improving stomach health with fiber, yogurt with biffidus/acidophilus listed first (not the fake thermophilus or other cultures), and sunchokes. Check the produce section for sunchokes. Get the yogurt first and start with only a little sunchokes or you'll get even more gassy b/c there will be no biffidus to eat it.

Maybe you got a contaminated batch! Make sure you don´t eat the FG raw (add boiling water and let rest for a while or get some thermal activated capsules). We´ve had FG contaminated with EHEC bacterias here in germany last year!

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon