Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon

I have a question about taking medication along with NBE. Any help is appreciated!

Hi Smile  My therapist keeps insisting I take an anxiety med and she suggests one called Celexa, which she puts is a "SSRI for chronic anxiety" and I figure taking meds would cause a problem in NBE especially the herbal route.  So my question is would this for sure cause interactions or even be dangerous to take with herbs? I'm not completely sure I want to take it because of this reason.  Any help is appreciated.

(16-11-2016, 07:02 PM)Victorian Rose Wrote:  Hi Smile  My therapist keeps insisting I take an anxiety med and she suggests one called Celexa, which she puts is a "SSRI for chronic anxiety" and I figure taking meds would cause a problem in NBE especially the herbal route.  So my question is would this for sure cause interactions or even be dangerous to take with herbs? I'm not completely sure I want to take it because of this reason.  Any help is appreciated.

I would ask your psychiatrist or a doctor about this. Do lots of research. Be safe.

(17-11-2016, 01:56 AM)missboobshirt Wrote:  
(16-11-2016, 07:02 PM)Victorian Rose Wrote:  Hi Smile  My therapist keeps insisting I take an anxiety med and she suggests one called Celexa, which she puts is a "SSRI for chronic anxiety" and I figure taking meds would cause a problem in NBE especially the herbal route.  So my question is would this for sure cause interactions or even be dangerous to take with herbs? I'm not completely sure I want to take it because of this reason.  Any help is appreciated.

I would ask your psychiatrist or a doctor about this. Do lots of research. Be safe.

She's absolutely right. 
I'm taking an antidepressant too and I had doubts about taking herbs while I am taking mirtazapine. I'd suggest you to ask to your doctor first but I did my own research and we can't take almost any herb due to interaction .

You say your practioner INSISTS you take this SSRI, do YOU feel you need it?

Problem is we all have anxiety or depression for a reason you know, myself included, its finding what that underlying reason is and not putting  a bandaid over it like these doctors do with their pills Sad

If you need them of course dont stop but yeh pharmacy vs herbs is a worry. And unless to talk to someone well versed in both its a risk. Theres soo many herbal calming teas etc and homeopathics that take longer but can still work. St Johns Wort is an antidepressant with little side effects if any (sun exposure is one to look out for) - but again of course you do this under appropirate guidance.

I was on anti depressants for years simply cause i didnt know how / if / what id be like off them . Soon as   i got pregnanat i stopped and never touched one again.

Thank you guys.  I thought it would be iffy to take something like that along with herbs so I was leaning on saying no.  She insists I try it but I would rather do something more natural at this point.
Thanks again for the insight.

Interactions with an SSRI are weird, because most of the herbs or supplements that "interact" with the SSRI enhance the effectiveness of the SSRI or are SSRI's themselves.  What they're afraid of is an overdose.  Which is odd because they can't actually say that the natural substance is an anxiety treatment because it hasn't undergone extensive drug testing as one.  But they can still say it has potential SSRI effects for the purpose of interaction.

SSRIs show poor effectiveness, close to placebo, but are also very low in side effects.  It's hard to show any effectiveness with Saint John's Wort extract too but it still comes out ahead of the drugs.  Also even less side effects.  It's worth a shot since the risks are extremely low and the overall effect is mild.  Make sure you get an extract standardized to 0.3% hypericin for correct strength.  1800 mg is used in studies but you may use as little as 300 mg.  If you want to use with other herbs then you can use a lower amount to stay on the safe side.  That's still better than taking nothing and the risks are next to nothing.

You may also want to take 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), a serotonin precursor.  Info on it here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9727088 .  You can search for more studies on it at the same site.  It's also listed as something to not take with SSRI's due to "interaction" with them, which is even funnier.   You're afraid of overdose, but if so why would I not rather make my own serotonin so it's safer and eventually get off my SSRI meds?  But if you take 5-HTP then likewise take less SJWE just to be safe. A few studies at pubmed.gov show greater effectiveness from combining an SSRI with 5-HTP, but it's still not that great (nor are any treatments in general).

For NBE, two types of herbs for breast growth: are one affects serotonin and the other affects prolactin. These two hormones interact with dopamine. It will interact with your medication.

Different herbs affect human hormones in different ways, not all in the same way. Now whether it helps or hurts your medication, but I won't be 100% certain in which direction. It is risky to do, and your doctor will most likely discourage it reasonably. They typically discourage NBE, but in the case of herbs interacting with medication, that is a sensible concern.

It is possible that medication or herbs are desensitizing the responses to medications. Herbs can also resensitize for your medication. However, that is not something I'm going to get behind, on making solid statements, because even then if I seem to understand what it does, I won't be 100% on that, which affects mental health. Your doctor's concern is, if it is safe, since they typically do not believe in NBE.

Thanks again for more information.  You all are so helpful.  I decided I don't want to take Celexa but my doctor did mention OTC 5 HTP which Joe I think mentioned. She says the dosage is 100 mg per day.  Would this possibly be safe to take with NBE herbs?  I'm considering this option instead. Also, I'm taking a saliva hormone test right now, would it be okay for me to take 5 HTP while taking the test?

Looking at a few websites and studies 50 to 600 mg is typical, and usually 100 to 300 mg.  100 mg shouldn't be overdoing it, even with herbs that might make you more sensitive to the 5-HTP.  Even at an excessive amount the biggest drawbacks seem to be long term not short term.  After years you may want to slowly get off it or else look into other substances for dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine.  But that's unlikely to ever be a problem at a low dose.

I don't think it will affect a saliva hormone test. Or if I'm wrong I think the effect would be small and indirect if anything.

(24-11-2016, 03:32 PM)surferjoe2007 Wrote:  Looking at a few websites and studies 50 to 600 mg is typical, and usually 100 to 300 mg.  100 mg shouldn't be overdoing it, even with herbs that might make you more sensitive to the 5-HTP.  Even at an excessive amount the biggest drawbacks seem to be long term not short term.  After years you may want to slowly get off it or else look into other substances for dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine.  But that's unlikely to ever be a problem at a low dose.

I don't think it will affect a saliva hormone test.  Or if I'm wrong I think the effect would be small and indirect if anything.

Thank you, Joe. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Smile

Shop for herbs and other supplements on Amazon